Earn money playing Minecraft?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by Jonchun, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Jonchun

So I'm thinking of creating/sponsoring a server that will pay out members (USD) for in-game currency. Players can cash out on a ratio using virtual currency (iconomy or something similar).

I'm not revealing HOW I plan to do this, but before I even start such a project...

1. Would Bukkit allow this type of use?
    2. Would people be interested in such a server?

2. Offline

deltahat

Where do you plan on getting the money to pay players?

What must the players give to get money?

Have you considered the legal, financial, and tax implications of paying players real money?

3. Offline

Jonchun

Like I said, I'm not going to state any plans or even hint at if it's viable or not. I want responses to assume I somehow have the money to pay out players. Consider it.. an advertising budget. On the other hand, what implications could there be legally? I'm buying a virtual currency from my players. Financially? As I said, not revealing anything. It's just a small idea I had. Not sure if it will even work or not. Tax implications? Why would I be paying the tax? It's the player's income, not mine.

4. Offline

Kainzo

If you have money circulating - you're going to be taxed. Or at the very least - have a backup plan for evading said tax...

5. Offline

Jonchun

Oh I see your point. I don't know why I herp'd right there. Aside from these issues though, do you think this type of venture would be possible? Rather than "paying" the users for their currency, perhaps if I have some sort of a prize system (similar to superpoints.com) or something, do you think it will help prevent the idea that this is a way to generate income? (for the end user)

6. Offline

JOPHESTUS

My site has a guide to this:
    How to make money from playing minecraft | JOPHEST.US

EDIT: Seriously...

7. Offline

Jonchun

8. Offline

JOPHESTUS

Sad thing is, that was already there. I did not put it up especially for you ;)

9. Offline

Jonchun

Lol do you have a view counter?

10. Offline

JOPHESTUS

No :(

11. Offline

ohtwo

That, my friend, would probably need the $800 investment to become an LLC. :p And probably some lawyers so you can protect yourself in case anything comes up. I don't think a prize system will stop you from worrying about taxes, or laws, etc.

I personally think it's a great idea, but you'd probably be dealing with a lot of people trying to cheat the system. It'd take a lot of careful planning, as well as a dedicated team of developers and administrators.

EDIT: I feel like it could be very complicated, since you will be relying on Bukkit/Minecraft to stay stable. Yes, we all do this when we run servers, but if there are any exploits that can only be solved from them, you are at the mercy of those developers and not your own.

12. Offline

Coelho

13. Offline

Omnitv

Jonchun, My best bet to you is advertising other company's such as the Google adsense or adwords to your website.
    Also Coelho I never go to JOPHESTUS website, I already have it blocked on my maxathon.

14. Offline

Jonchun

Hehe. You have a point :p

It was just an idea that popped into my head. I'm not super intent on doing this.

ikr?

Not sure what you mean. I don't think you understood me.

JOPHESTUS likes this.
  15. Offline

md_5

I thought the internet got over screamers years ago...

16. Offline

TheBeast808

Ahh... The good ol' days. I remember scanning through every YT video before I watched it to check for screamers. Needless to say, curiosity made me click the link and I damn near went deaf because I was listening to music with headphones.

17. Offline

Sygnia

JOPHESTUS I got scared and my nose almost started bleeding from being startled :I

18. Offline

Coelho

It had a loading delay and everything! Right after I saw it I was shaking for a couple minutes.

19. Offline

pyraetos

This is the second time I've had to remove a server advertisement from you on the forums. Don't doooooooo it.

20. Offline

McLuke500

Look at his post history its full of it he needs a spam cleaner :D

21. Offline

PhonicUK

Before even *thinking* about this - talk to a lawyer. You're asking for all kinds of legal hell trying to pull something like this off. Also as a bare minimum you're going to need to set yourself up as a limited liability company to help protect yourself if you manage to mess up.

22. Offline

Jonchun

Yea I'm not sure what I was thinking when I posted this. pyraetos perhaps close this thread?

23. Offline

pyraetos

Jonchun Your wish is my command.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.