Application RemoteToolkit - Restarts + crash detection + auto saves + remote console!

Discussion in 'Bukkit Tools' started by drdanick, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

drdanick

Minecraft RemoteToolkit
    -Less downtime, more fun for your players, more power to you!

Are you a Minecraft server administrator? Do you value up-time and stability? Do you fancy the ability to remotely control your server, both in-game and out of game, in a myriad of useful ways from a plethora of different devices?
    If you answered yes to any of the above, then the Minecraft RemoteToolkit is for you!

What the Minecraft RemoteToolkit Plugin and Wrapper do for you:
    • Provides almost perfect server uptime with no need for action from an owner/administrator!
    • Have your server save and restart at any time period with configurable restart warnings!
    • The Toolkit guarantees a restart within the set restart period, even if your server crashes, becomes unresponsive, or encounters a "SEVERE" exception!
    • Remotely control every function of the Toolkit, even from your smart phone!
    • Full remote console access via telnet with support for multiple terminal types!
    • Telnet daemon conforms to current Telnet related RFCs!
    • Customizable alert messages!
    • Fully extendable though 3rd party modules!
    • Full feature set works with most craftbukkit builds!
    • Most features work with any Minecraft server variation, even vanilla!
    • Telnet can be disabled!
    For server administrators
    Download - Release 10, Alpha 15.3 [CB 1.7.2-R0.2] (wget friendly)
    Instructions & Documentation

For developers
    UDP API REV 8 | Documentation
    Module API | Coming soon!

For everyone
    Official IRC channel
    #remotetoolkit @ irc.esper.net

"Help! I've downloaded it, but I do not know how to get it working!"
    Stop! Before you give up or ask for help, make sure you have read the step-by-step installation instructions on the wiki page. If you are still having problems, please do not be hesitant to post a request for help on this thread or in the IRC channel - no matter how simple your problem seems.

Todo

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Any donation would be very much appreciated. I'm but a poor University student, and I sacrifice quite a lot of unpaid time to keep the Toolkit updates and support flowing.

Thank you to the following who have chosen to support the Toolkit through a donation:
    Deren909, marshall007, Vittek, clanslots, meee, KyneSilverhide, szoller, hungoverfurball, Lama_0, Viet, acc1dent, joby890, Liger_XT5

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. Offline

Unscrewed

I am still getting the problem :'(
    If you want, I could throw all my files in a conversation?

3. Offline

drdanick

If the messages are printed by the wrapper, then they will not show up in your log. What I need to see is a paste of at least 50 lines long INCLUDING the errors you mention. I need to see them in context.

4. Offline

EnzoFX

Oh sorry, I wasn't clear at all. I mean restart the computer itself heh, where the bukkit server is running. It was just a random thought, as scheduled restarts is something I started looking for the computer in question.

5. Offline

murlocdummy

I'm getting this odd little problem that's preventing me from detaching screens on Putty when using RToolkit. It causes the command line to type "^A" whenever I use Ctrl+A, D to detach the screen. I don't know why it's doing this now, since it seems to have worked in the past.

6. Offline

drdanick

Since it is largely operating system dependant, something like that would not be particularly easy to implement smoothly for everyone. Perhaps it would be best suited for a toolkit module someone could write and maintain themselves?

I cannot replicate this issue. What OS are you using, and how are you starting the screen?

7. Offline

murlocdummy

I'm using CentOS, and in Putty, I type
    java -Xmx30M -Xms30M -XX:MaxPermSize=40M -jar Minecraft_RKit.jar USER:pASS

in order to start the thing up. It starts up fine and seems to run the server correctly. The wrapper.properties file looks like this:

#Minecraft Remote Toolkit Properties File
    #Mon May 23 03:30:33 MSD 2011
    minecraft-server-jar=craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
    severe-exception-detection-level=1
    server-saveall-period=0
    maximum-heap-size=2600M
    import-properties=false
    server-restart-delay=5h
    server-heartbeat-threshold=1m
    restart-on-severe-exception=false
    server-arguments=nogui
    overridden-process-arguments=
    failed-heartbeat-restart-count=5
    server-restart-alerts=10m,5m,1m
    forced-restart-delay=5m
    initial-heap-size=2500M
    extra-runtime-arguments=-Djline.terminal\=jline.UnsupportedTerminal

I've resorted to starting the server without RToolkit in order to get it to detach the screen with Ctrl+A, D.

8. Offline

Kahl

When I have my restarts at 3h 30m and my saves at 1h I still get rollbacks.

9. Offline

drdanick

Are you sure you're actually starting a screen? If that's all you type when you log in, then you aren't.
    What command do you use to start the server without the toolkit?
    Looks like saving on the stop command is sporadic. I'll add the option to force a save on restart today.

10. Offline

Kahl

Could you add an option to warn before saves also?

11. Offline

Kaptain

I'm sorry if somebody already figured this out, but I can't find a way to search this post and a general forum search is too vague. When I restart the server, it seems to crash my entire linux box. I've tried using both the UDP client and Telnet. The server shuts down normally with the "SERVER IS SHUTTING DOWN" message, but then won't come back on for about 5-10 minutes. During this time I'm not even able to FTP into the server and if I try to connect to the server through the minecraft client I get the error:
    Code:
    internal exception: java.net.sockettimeoutexception: read timed out

12. Offline

Boots01

Sorry to be a noob, but is this plugin safe for RB 818?

13. Offline

drdanick

I can, but it won't be in the next version.

What happens when you try to stop the server without the toolkit running (issue /stop in-game)?
    Also, do you have shell access?

Yes. I will update the post when the toolkit is updated (under testing). The current toolkit version works fine with 818.

Boots01 likes this.
  14. Offline

Kaptain

The server stops normally and everything is fine. And yes I do have shell access.

15. Offline

Kahl

Save announcements really need to be added considering anyone PvPing at the time of a save will experience lag and many people end up dieing because of saves. Warnings for saves would allow people to take cover before a save occurs.

Thanks for all the feedback. I still get rollbacks but I have my last save run 30 seconds before a restart

16. Offline

Tbot117

Installed this plugin following the Wiki step by step, however I cannot get rtoolkit to run Minecraft_RKit.jar, either by running it or trying to run it with a command prompt. I edited the user.txt to accomidate for my inability to run the script, but the UDP Client (also tried to webpage client) just keeps giving me the "java.net.SocketException: Socket Closed" error. Been trying to install this for 2 hours and was supposed to be somewhere a while ago haha >.<

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated =]

17. Offline

drdanick

Try stopping the server from the console via SSH and note if anything unusual at all is printed.
    Also, what is the output of 'java -version'?

Firstly, what operating system are you using?

Secondly, how exactly are you trying to launch it from the command prompt? Have you made sure that you are entering the user:pass parameter correctly?
    Also, did you make sure that what you entered into users.txt was correct?

Try replacing everything in users.txt with this:
    Code:
    [users]
    admin:21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3

With that, you should be able to log in with the username and password both being "admin" (without quotes).

18. Offline

TheShadow777

please update it for 818

19. Offline

RuudschMaHinda

Hey there, I really like your plugin.. but I get a lot of java child processes under ubuntu 10.04 and it maxes out my memory...
    [​IMG]

that did not happen before with just WorldEdit und WorldGuard installed... what am I doing wrong? may be the screenshot helps.. :/

20. Offline

Boots01

Hi there,

I'm pretty much a complete noob at this. I run a server on a VPS to which I have root access via SSH. I've installed the wrapper and configured it. I can't execute the .sh file through Putty via SSH (I'm not sure why, liek I said - noob). If I execute the .sh file through an SFTP client it starts running, but the SFTP client crashes during the process.

I can't seem to get into the server via putty - I can log in via SSH but there's nothing to see there - if I type 'screen -x' (what I usually type to see what the server's doing), it tells me there's no screen to be attached. I can log into the wrapper via telnet fine, but the console doesnt' seem to tell me anything.

Everything seems to work fine from in game, the wrapper seems to be working fine, I just can't monitor it. Is there any way to still see what the server and/or wrapper is doing via SSH?

21. Offline

RuudschMaHinda

Try
    Code:
    watch tail -n 20 /path/to/minecraft-server/server.log

22. Offline

Boots01

Thanks - figured it out. As I said, I am a total noob and was misusing screen commands.

23. Offline

drdanick

It works with 818, I will update the thread title with 818 when I release the toolkit update, which I plan to do tonight.

Can you show me the output of top? I've had issues with htop in the past where it seems to display dead child processes.

24. Offline

RuudschMaHinda

[​IMG]

Here you are... still 0M free Memory... it used to use about 1500M before... may be this helps

25. Offline

TheShadow777

Okay many thanks, i love this plugin :)

26. Offline

murlocdummy

I use

screen -a -U -dmS mscreen java -Xms2500M -Xmx2500M -jar craftbukkit-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar nogui

I'm a bit of a noob at this, so I'm not entirely sure what -a, -U, or -dmS actually do, but one of my more technical friends told me to do it. Regardless, this command turns on the server just fine, but doesn't seem to activate RToolkit correctly.

27. Offline

drdanick

Odd, the OOM killer should have cleared up some memory at that point. I have the feeling that these values aren't being correctly reported. Are you getting any Out Of Memory errors anywhere?

Try (remember to replace USER and PASS with something else)
    Code:
    screen -a -U -dmS mscreen java -Xmx30M -Xms30M -XX:MaxPermSize=40M -jar Minecraft_RKit.jar USER:PASS

Alternatively, you can also use:

Code:
    screen -a -U -dmS mscreen ./rtoolkit.sh

With the second option, remember to edit the .sh to change the password/username.

28. Offline

Kaptain

Well I switched hosting providers because of other problems I was having. I'm not having any more problems, but thanks for the help lol.

29. Offline

yottabyte

Using /restartsrv in game just tells me "Done!" and outputs ">Restarting server..." in the console, that's all.

Edit: seem to happen when using overridden-process-arguments... I want to start the server like I normally do:
    Code:
    java -server -verbose:gc -Xmn1G -Xms1500M -Xmx3400M -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:ParallelGCThreads=6 -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=500 -XX:SurvivorRatio=16 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit -Xnoclassgc -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:+UseLargePages -jar craftbukkit.jar

30. Offline

drdanick

-Version of java?
    -When did you start having this problem?
    -Does entering .restart in the console work?
    -Can I see the body of wrapper.properties?

31. Offline

yottabyte

@drdanick

- java version "1.6.0_21"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_21-b07)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.0-b17, mixed mode)

- Just installed this toolkit, testing it out on my Windows PC now, hopefully going to be running it on my public server later.

- Haven't tried that stuff yet, brings me to another point, why can't we just use the console normally? I miss that.

-
    Code:
    #Minecraft Remote Toolkit Properties File
    #Sat Jun 04 16:32:07 CEST 2011
    minecraft-server-jar=craftbukkit.jar
    severe-exception-detection-level=1
    server-saveall-period=0
    maximum-heap-size=1024M
    import-properties=false
    server-restart-delay=5h
    server-heartbeat-threshold=1m
    restart-on-severe-exception=false
    server-arguments=nogui
    overridden-process-arguments=java -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=500 -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit -XX:SurvivorRatio=16 -Xnoclassgc -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:ParallelGCThreads=3 -Xincgc -Xmx2024M -jar craftbukkit.jar
    failed-heartbeat-restart-count=5
    server-restart-alerts=10m,5m,1m
    forced-restart-delay=5m
    initial-heap-size=1024M
    extra-runtime-arguments=-Djline.terminal\=jline.UnsupportedTerminal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.