"Perhaps a server is already running on this port" - Help Me :)

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by lewisj45, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

lewisj45

Hey ! I made a server working fine then i was messing around and i deleted it by accident..
    so i made the server again and when i click the "server.command" to run the server i get this message : "Perhaps a server is already running on this port" ! I am NOT using hamachi if that helps :)

2. Offline

Chrisward

Restart, see how it goes

3. Offline

Tyler_Tsero

Go into task manager and stop all java.exe applications (java.exe, javaw.exe, jusched.exe).

restart server.
    And then it should run properly again

Minindiamonds likes this.
  4. Offline

lewisj45

I stopped the script and clicked it again and it said the same thing :(!

Im on mac :L So i don't have task manger!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2016
  5. Offline

JWhy

Restart the whole computer

Chrisward likes this.
  6. Offline

Chrisward

Exactly what I meant :p

7. Offline

JWhy

Terminal
    /agree :D

8. Offline

lewisj45

Nothing happened

9. Offline

JWhy

Then set the port to something but 25565

10. Offline

lewisj45

The port is 25565 :)

11. Offline

Royalgamer06

Close all java processes. LEAVE server-IP= in the server.properties BLANK! Your friends can join with your IP (http://whatsyourip.com/) and you can connect with the IP; localhost:25565 (or with an other port you use).
    NOTE: you must have port forwarded! Don't know how? Search on the internet, there are many tutorials!

poperdie likes this.
  12. Offline

salik12

I'm on mac too.just go to activity monitor, then find java.then quit process.you can find it in spotlight. hope i helped!

Deren909 likes this.
  13. Offline

Jayash

I'm on mac too and I really need help. I made a sever but I can't build on it can someone help me? I tried to make the server again but it says,
    Perhaps a server is already running on that port?
    So I have two problems, maybe someone can help me?
    I'm on Mac.
    Thanks!!! [fire][diamond][creeper][gold][diamondblock]:)

14. Offline

Delocaz

People can be seriously retarded something.

1. Are you OP? Did you remove the shitty built-in spawn protection in bukkit.yml?

2. That message should explain anything you need to know, close the other server goddammit.

15. Offline

jedi_nipl

Im on a mac and I just finally made a server but when i try to go on it, it says

[INFO] Starting minecraft server version 1.2.4
    18:19:57 [INFO] Loading properties
    18:19:57 [INFO] Starting Minecraft server on *************:25565
    18:19:57 [WARNING] **** FAILED TO BIND TO PORT!
    18:19:57 [WARNING] The exception was: java.net.BindException: Can't assign requested address
    18:19:57 [WARNING] Perhaps a server is already running on that port?
    HELP!!!!

16. Offline

Chrisward

jedi_nipl, remove the censoring. Don't worry, we won't hack you, just need to know what it is

Actually scratch that, set the server-ip back to it's default setting of nothing. Should fix it
    Code:
    server-ip=
    EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2016
    stuntguy3000 likes this.
  17. Offline

PlayinCOD2132

Ok what you need to do is this change your port from 25565 from 65534 here is a example

#Minecraft server properties
    #*************************
    allow-nether=true
    level-name=*****
    enable-query=false
    allow-flight=false
    server-port=65534 <----------------------------------------------------- THIS RIGHT HERE NEEDS TO BE CHANGED!
    level-type=DEFAULT
    enable-rcon=false
    level-seed=
    server-ip=************
    max-build-height=256
    spawn-npcs=true
    white-list=false
    spawn-animals=true
    snooper-enabled=true
    texture-pack=
    online-mode=false
    pvp=true
    difficulty=1
    gamemode=0
    max-players=20
    spawn-monsters=true
    generate-structures=true
    view-distance=10
    motd=**************
    [diamond] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Offline

Chrisward

Why in gods name did you revive a 4 month dead thread?

19. Offline

Erik Malm

All of you guys really helped me, so I wanted to thank you all very much. I changed the server port and now mine is working. Thank you!

20. Offline

WillieMath

not helpful

21. Offline

neilwato

I love it when people yell and scream about how dumb someone is and then never provide a useful answer.

If you get this error on OSX it's likely means that you started the craftbukkit server and then closed the Terminal window in some way. Then you tried to start it again and it gave you this error. Here's an explanation of the error.

TCP/IP has a concept of both address and port. When you start a program that uses TCP/IP (basically anything that uses a network connection) it starts that program on your computer but also on a 'port'. So for instance, if your computer was 10.0.0.12 and your MC server specifies to start on port 25565, that would mean that any outgoing or incoming connection for Minecraft would be directed to communicate over port 25565. You likely also have a browser going and many other internet programs. They are all on the same computer (10.0.012) but are all on different ports. No two programs can occupy the same port on the same machine. This is how TCP/IP keeps all that independent network traffic coming and going to the right program.

So, when you closed your server window (Terminal), that server is still running on 10.0.0.12:25565. You just can't see it, but it's still running because you only closed the window, you didn't type 'stop' or 'logout' or anything else to tell the computer you're done with that program. Thinking it actually was closed, you decided to start another server on the same port but OH NOES, it gives you the error that there's already something using 25565. Remember no two programs can occupy the same port on the same machine. You have to find a way to stop that old server but you've closed the window. How do you close that old server?

Luckily you can see each and every program running on your mac (they're actually called processes). Just launch Activity Monitor from your Utilities folder. You'll see a big long list under the column Process Name. Now, for me, the process is named org.bukkit.craftbukkit.Main. I cannot guarantee that this will be the process name on your machine, but it likely is since I didn't change any defaults for Craftbukkit.

Simply click on org.bukkit.craftgukkit.Main and then click on the 'Force a process to quit' button in the upper left of the Activity Monitor screen. It will kill that server you couldn't see anymore and you'll be able to start a new one because no two programs are occupying the same port on the same machine anymore.

Hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.