re: Permissions - What's going on? What do I do?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Aro2220.com, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Aro2220.com

My server (minecraft.aro2220.com) is running permissions 2.1 with an older copy of bukkit than current and a few other plugins. I tried to update to the latest version of bukkit but permissions breaks when I do.

That's when I started noticing something is up with permissions.

Apparently the niji guy who made the original permissions has stopped working on it and, as far as I can tell, there are three divergences, one of which I can't even find.

There's the 'new' permissions, which is 2.4 or 2.5 code named "Pheonix" which, for the life of me, I can't get working. It says to name your config file by what your world is titled in server.properties. Well, my server.properties only has a level-name field and that's "world" but when I set the configuration file in /plugins/permissions/ to world.yml, it still doesn't work.

Then there's group manager which looks like a standalone program but then there's also group manager within the essentials suite and I THINK it's the same thing. Although, I don't understand why there are two seperate posts if it is. I also don't understand how to install it or use it and I couldn't find any documentation that helped me figure it out.

Finally, there seems to be something called fakepermissions.jar which emulates how the old permissions system worked just for plugins that haven't been upgraded yet. Yet, I can't even find a download link for that.

Could anyone help straighten me out and let me know how I can upgrade my server? Currently I have the craftbukkit bug where teleporting takes a very very long time to load and I'd like to install a few new plugins.

But, I need permissions to work because worldedit and worldguard are both reliant on it (as well as a bunch of other plugins I use).

Please, help us at minecraft.aro2220.com
    We need you!

2. Offline

h0us3cat

Just go with the reborn of permissions by phoenix

3. Offline

Aro2220.com

What do I name my config.yml file to?
    Here is my server.properties file in the main minecraft folder
    Code:
    #Minecraft server properties
    #Wed Mar 02 02:31:13 EST 2011
    level-name=world
    hellworld=false
    spawn-monsters=true
    online-mode=true
    spawn-animals=true
    max-players=30
    server-ip=
    pvp=true
    server-port=25565
    white-list=false
    spawn-protection=1

4. Offline

jwideman

First, Permissions 2.5.1 is the version to use now. Niji got burned out trying to maintain so many plugins, so now it is in TheYeti's capable hands. If naming your file world.yml "didn't work", then something is wrong with that file (tabs instead of spaces is a common culprit). Check for tabs, then if that's clear, post it using pastebin.
    GroupManager is indeed standalone and yes, the one in Essentials should be exactly the same. It even has a wrapper for Permissions. Unfortunately, it's fallen behind. Too bad.
    As for the bukkit teleport bug, that's been fixed in newer versions. Unfortunately, said versions also have the dupe exploit and some plugin devs have (wisely IMO) chosen to wait until the next recommended build is out.

5. Offline

DoomBunnyPwn

Make sure that you are using Notepad++ to edit, and select 'replace tabs with spaces option.

6. Offline

Aro2220.com

OH geez, there's a dupe bug? Since which version?

Also, I use notepad++ and I have tabs set to spaces correctly since a while ago. Just to be doubly sure, I am using the default config.yml file included with permissions 2.5.1 and my file looks like the following:

Pastebin Link to my world.yml file

Since there seems to be some issue between the essentials people and permissions...maybe I should ask if there is some way I am supposed to get essentials to use permissions? Since, before it was just default if you had permissions installed.

I am using a fresh install of permissions 2.5.1 and the newest essentials suite on my test server.
    --- merged: Mar 3, 2011 12:57 AM ---
    Oh, I think I figured out my problem. You have to delete EssentialsGroupManager.jar and EssentialsGroupBridge.jar or else there is a conflict and permissions won't work.

7. Offline

jwideman

The item dupe bug has been reported for all the post-TSLPC versions is what I've heard. So... 449 on?
    I've been seeing various problems in Essentials, especially where the nether is involved. Might be a good idea to dump it for something else.

8. Offline

Aro2220.com

Essentials still does a few things that I like and haven't found suitable plugins to replace. However, I am trimming ever last piece out due to problems and conflicts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.