32 bit or 64 bit

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by brianjr323, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

brianjr323

well i just got another computer that i am going to use to run my server 24/7 on and i was just wondering which is the best for bukkit 64 bit or 32 bit?

2. Offline

MikeA

64-bit

3. Offline

Nathan C

MikeA likes this.
  4. Offline

Obliviator

5. Offline

MikeA

No no, I meant to say 32-bit!! Who in their right mind would ever use a 64-bit OS... PSSHHHH. I heard those things are outdated to like 1994...

6. Offline

Jade

Trolling or not, this simply is not helpful.

7. Offline

Jaxkr

It depends on a variety of factors including server traffic, processing power, and the OS you are running.

But 32-bit is usually the way to go, unless you are running some 64-bit specific applications (which Bukkit is not)

8. Offline

sintri

Cept less you don't plan on having more than 4 gb of ram or plan on using an alternate OS, you're gonna need a 64 bit OS. Even then, most 32 bit OS won't even give you 4 gb since the kernel'll eat some that you'll never be able to get access to on top of whatever it takes to run the OS. So regardless of whether it is a 64 bit app or 32, if you want more ram, you're gonna need 64.

9. Offline

ZachBora

The down side to using 64 bit OS is you can't run some 16bit applications anymore. You can still run 32bit.

10. Offline

BMX_ATVMAN14

64-bit because 32-bit only allows you to use 4gb of ram

11. Offline

MikeA

If you use a 32-bit operating system you can only utilize 4GB RAM, simple as that. 64-bit is better compatible with applications also. Now please continue to read this hard to read, pink text which is successfully burning your eyes. You're crying now, correct?

12. Offline

Jade

13. Offline

desht

Actually for Windows, it's even worse. 32-bit Windows will leave you with about 1.5GB maximum heap size for your JVM, which will really limit your server size. 32-bit Linux does better here - you can get up to 3GB heap size.

32-bit's fine for small private or test servers. Anything intended to support more than a handful of players needs to be on a 64-bit system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.