is it possible and legal to sell craftbukkit plugins?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by theyanay5, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

theyanay5

hey :)
    is it possible and legal to sell craftbukkit API plugins?
    and it possible sell code that uses craftbukkit and bukkit api?
    Thank you :)

2. Offline

deathknight842

If your the one that coded it, you can sell it. If not, No. There are several servers that pay developers for customized plugins.

3. Offline

MrInspector

You can't sell it on the bukkit forums though, mostly they'll just contact you on skype and request a plugin for money.

4. I am not sure if it is actually legal to keep it closed source, though - discussions about licensing issues already exist, and i think they're not entirely decided, yet.

Edit: due to the license of CraftBukkit/Bukkit, disregarding what license Mojang assumes for the Minecraft server.

5. Offline

Mike1022

If CraftBukkit or Mojang ask for the source code, give it to them. Solved.

6. Right - though not entirely sure about "anybody" asking for source code, nor with what Mojang has to say about what's allowed and what not (no official license!?).

I guess it's ok to receive money for doing some programming, as long as you go aligned with the tax-law etc. :p.

7. Offline

DoingItWell

Btw, I thought this was interesting. At MineCon 2013 someone asked was Mojang worried about copyrights and people copying their code, making clone games, etc. The response was basically just don't call it Minecraft. I.e. They encouraged people to copy ideas (and Minecraft copied ideas from previous apps). I'm sure there's a few blurry lines, but it was inspiring to hear they weren't fiercely protective in this regard. At least, that is what was said. :)

8. Offline

Mike1022

Also, during MineCon 2013 they said that they would not let you sell plugins that were uploaded to their plugin database. They did not say anything about whether you could do so elsewhere.

9. Offline

Bobcat00

Who said that? There was no official Bukkit representation at Minecon 2013.

10. Offline

xTrollxDudex

http://oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/lgpl

LGPL allows you to distribute an application using the software AS A LIBRARY under ANY license, whether all rights reserved or an OS license.

Edit: Further reading shows:
    Note second bullet point.

Garris0n likes this.
  11. I forgot, but is either of Bukkit-API/CraftBukkit still GPL (not LGPL)? There had been differing licenses some time earlier (plus licensing discussions of course).

The really peculiar point is that Minecraft does not have an official license for CraftBukkit using and altering the Minecraft server code, so in theory it could all get nullified (theory not of a lawyer...).

In practice i assume it somewhat "accepted" to code and maintain plugins for money, i e.g. providing updates for those that pay for your time. But i am not sure what happens if you start selling plugins like apps to just anyone. If there is a market-site rising - could happen Mojang puts a stop to it.

12. Offline

xTrollxDudex

asofold
    I believe that Mojang has a contact us place somewhere regarding legal issues.

13. Offline

Mike1022

I was talking about what Mojang said about selling plugins on Minecraft.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.