Solved Bukkit plugin compatibility with older CB versions

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Decay3, Oct 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Decay3

Hi all,

I am planning on starting a 1.6.4 bukkit server, and I was wondering the following for some time:
    Can I use the latest versions of plugins which are compiled for a later release of CB (like 1.7.#)? Or should I stick with the latest releases for the CB version I'm using ( =without latest bugfixes and additions)?

I guess there are three possible answers:
    1. Yeah, sure, use any plugin version you want on any CB version.
    2. Depends on the plugin: might or might not work. If the plugin uses new functions/features which are only available in the later CB versions, it can be unstable/not working.
    3. Don't try something stupid like this, it will fail. Only use plugins for 1.6.#.

Thanks in advance!

Decay3

2. Offline

tcvs

Decay3 Option 2 sounds about right. There really is know way to know without testing.

3. Offline

Googlelover1234

Usually most plugins work with every version, but that's why NMS gets tricky. Most plugins should work, but like tcvs said, testing would be the only way to find out :)

4. Offline

JaguarJo

The main ones that won't work right will be plugins that have updated to using UUIDs instead of playernames for the user data. So keep an eye out for plugins that say "now supporting UUIDs" as they may not be backwards compatible.

5. Offline

Decay3

Thanks for answering everyone! :)
    I'll just test it, and if it doesn't work right, I'll take an older version of the plugin.
    Thanks for suggesting about the UUID and NMS supported plugins :)
    Marked as solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.