Application RemoteToolkit - Restarts + crash detection + auto saves + remote console!

Discussion in 'Bukkit Tools' started by drdanick, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

drdanick

Minecraft RemoteToolkit
    -Less downtime, more fun for your players, more power to you!

Are you a Minecraft server administrator? Do you value up-time and stability? Do you fancy the ability to remotely control your server, both in-game and out of game, in a myriad of useful ways from a plethora of different devices?
    If you answered yes to any of the above, then the Minecraft RemoteToolkit is for you!

What the Minecraft RemoteToolkit Plugin and Wrapper do for you:
    • Provides almost perfect server uptime with no need for action from an owner/administrator!
    • Have your server save and restart at any time period with configurable restart warnings!
    • The Toolkit guarantees a restart within the set restart period, even if your server crashes, becomes unresponsive, or encounters a "SEVERE" exception!
    • Remotely control every function of the Toolkit, even from your smart phone!
    • Full remote console access via telnet with support for multiple terminal types!
    • Telnet daemon conforms to current Telnet related RFCs!
    • Customizable alert messages!
    • Fully extendable though 3rd party modules!
    • Full feature set works with most craftbukkit builds!
    • Most features work with any Minecraft server variation, even vanilla!
    • Telnet can be disabled!
    For server administrators
    Download - Release 10, Alpha 15.3 [CB 1.7.2-R0.2] (wget friendly)
    Instructions & Documentation

For developers
    UDP API REV 8 | Documentation
    Module API | Coming soon!

For everyone
    Official IRC channel
    #remotetoolkit @ irc.esper.net

"Help! I've downloaded it, but I do not know how to get it working!"
    Stop! Before you give up or ask for help, make sure you have read the step-by-step installation instructions on the wiki page. If you are still having problems, please do not be hesitant to post a request for help on this thread or in the IRC channel - no matter how simple your problem seems.

Todo

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Any donation would be very much appreciated. I'm but a poor University student, and I sacrifice quite a lot of unpaid time to keep the Toolkit updates and support flowing.

Thank you to the following who have chosen to support the Toolkit through a donation:
    Deren909, marshall007, Vittek, clanslots, meee, KyneSilverhide, szoller, hungoverfurball, Lama_0, Viet, acc1dent, joby890, Liger_XT5

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. Offline

drdanick

Update!

Release 10 Alpha 5
    -Added the long awaited plugin
    -Players now see a friendly kick message upon a restart
    -Added the ability to restart the server in-game via the command /restartsrv
    -New properties file layout
    -Fully customizable alert messages

Still to come
    -Scheduled restarts on a set time of day
    -Map backups integrated into wrapper
    -A wiki page for this

3. Offline

sumTard

Map backups integrated into this would be great. So far so good though, this has improved server stability and uptime greatly!

4. Offline

drdanick

Do take a look at the backup preview. It is more or less what I will be integrating. I haven't heard much from the community about my work on it yet :/

5. Offline

Phantom Index

There a way I can avoid server from being shut down by exiting my SSH console?

6. Offline

drdanick

Open screen first, then launch the server.
    Open a screen with the command screen and launch the server as normal.
    To return to the screen when you next log in, use the command screen -x

7. Offline

Phantom Index

ehh? it even doesn't let ,me set memory heap to 2512M it just uses 1024M I configured the config.. still does it.

8. Offline

drdanick

I just tested it and it works fine. What properties file are you altering? How do you know that 2512MB hasn't been allocated to the heap?

9. Offline

Phantom Index

Towny :p It can tell you how much the server is running on.

10. Offline

drdanick

Download the following file and run it in place of Minecraft_RKit.jar (still using user:pass)

http://drdanick.com/minecraft/Minecraft_RKit5debug.jar

It will give you a line that you will need to post here.

11. Offline

mattekure

I love the idea of a backup plugin. Especially the incremental backup idea. One thing i'd like is to have a periodic full backup done as well. Say, full backup every Sunday, then incremental the rest of the week. The idea of having a large number of incremental backups where if just 1 goes bad or gets corrupted I lose the ability to restore scares me a little.

The other thing would be for it to not require manually shutting down the minecraft server. Have it automatically save the world, shutdown the server, do the backup and then start it back up. Hopefully this is on the radar.

12. Offline

ZionHD

how do u make it so the consle saves peoples invotry before restart

13. Offline

Thijsbeer

I've got the same question as ZionHD.
    I noticed some duping on the server due to the
    not=saving=inv=before=restart.
    Also when I do a manual save=all and a stop
    The inv didnt get saved.

Thanks for youre time

14. Offline

drdanick

@ZionHD @Thjsbeer I have tested this myself with build #238 and it works. Are you using both the wrapper and plugin or just the wrapper?

15. Offline

Thijsbeer

Ah I totaly missed the plugin bit!
    Also will update craftbukkit this weekend,to a more current one.

Totaly would love the backup implementation!

16. Offline

Wolfy9247

Running Craftbukkit b230 and having an issue with the server not saving inventory, or last player location before the server stops (via stop)

17. Offline

drdanick

Update to a newer craftbukkit build. It worked for me in build 238.

18. Offline

sadleric

Hello. I saw the .stopwrapper command earlier. I have not had success using it to end execution of the server without having to ctrl-c upon restart.

I know it's 'near the top of the list,' but this needs to work pretty soon. My gut is telling me it's very dangerous to attempt to close a server by timing ctrl-c in the 1-2 seconds it takes for the restart process to begin.

EDIT: Sorry, I know this is all still in alpha. I don't mean to sound pushy here, my bad.

19. Offline

drdanick

Can you tell me what happens when you use .stopwrapper? I have not seen it fail before.

20. Offline

Alienware777

Could we possibly get a lite version of this? Like how it used to be, just something to restart the server every X hours. [​IMG]

21. Offline

drdanick

The only extra major thing i've added since the first release apart from a bunch of tweaks is the Telnet console forwarder, which can be disabled in the config ;)

22. Offline

Fugensnot

*is waiting patiently for that .apk* <3

23. Offline

sadleric

Typing /stopwrapper as an op ingame results in a server reset. Neither /stopwrapper nor .stopwrapper within the server console has any effect (unknown console command).

24. Offline

drdanick

Well, it's not an ingame command, it should not result in anything (/restartsrv is the in-game command for restarts). (on a side note, the way I have the bukkit plugin set up, it is logically impossible for it to respond to /stopwrapper as an in-game command).

Just tested this with the newest bukkit build and it works fine.
    Does .help work as a console command?

Edit: Stopwrapper does work as an in-game command, but that is due to bukkit treating any command that starts with "stop" as a stop command.

25. Offline

Toob

Excellent addon! Just what we need, but I've run into some strange/unwanted behavior...
    mcrtoolkit 10b531
    craftbukkit build 247

1. After first start, wrapper.properties gets reduced to:
    Code:
    #Minecraft Remote Toolkit Properties File
    #Sun Feb 06 08:28:32 CET 2011
    telnet-enabled=true
    remote-control-port=2551
    import-properties=false
    2. Startup halts and needs keyboard input to move on to starting the server after:
    Code:
    INFO:Listening to port 2á551 with a connectivity queue size of 5.
    3. Extra char 'á' in 'INFO:Listening to port 2á551 with a connectivity queue size of 5.'

4. Using Minecraft ReCon V0.32_9_1 Beta and sending the 'Restart now' command:
    ReCon returns: 'Server response: Success!'
    Server console restarts and after all the server startup-spam returns:
    Code:
    Restarting.....
    Restarting server...
    Restarting server...
    Restarting server...
    Restarting server...
    Restarting server...
    Restarting server...
    Restarting server...
    Restarting server...

Pressing enter in console then results in another restart and two "Unknown command"

26. Offline

drdanick

Remove the toolkit directory and try running it.
    Also, can you give me the version of your Runtime? (use java -version in a terminal)

Edit: Also, what OS are you using?

27. Offline

Alienware777

Number 1 from Toob is happening to me as well. It starts up however and seems to be somewhat working. It saves the map every 15-ish seconds though. I'm running Ubuntu. I tried java -version however it returned this error
    Code:
    Error occurred during initialization of VM
    java.lang.Error: Properties init: Could not determine current working directory.
            at java.lang.System.initProperties(Native Method)
            at java.lang.System.initializeSystemClass(System.java:1070)

When I removed the toolkit directory it recreated it on startup with the default messages.txt and remote.properties, but it still created the wrapper.properties that contains what should go in the remote.properties.

28. Offline

drdanick

Hmm, the new configuration layout has has had a few bugs. I'll look into it ASAP.
    --- merged: Feb 7, 2011 6:56 AM ---
    @Toob @Alienware777 Problem should mostly be fixed now. Re-download it from the first post.

29. Offline

sadleric

While 'help' in my command line window gives the standard Minecraft server help, .help returns an unknown console command error.

30. Offline

drdanick

Are you positively sure you are running the wrapper? The wrapper commands are server mod/build independent. So if they are not working, the only likely cause of the problem would be that you are not using the wrapper.

Check that telnet/the remote commands are working. If they aren't, then the wrapper probably isn't running.
    Oh, what OS are you using and what wrapper version are you using?

31. Offline

sadleric

I was confused here [​IMG]

I was running these commands in the command window of the Craftbukkit Minecraft Server, not via Telnet to my machine's wrapper. I've got it working now. Thanks!

The system is easy enough to use after using it once, but this post http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/ad...nsole-access-via-telnet.674/page-3#post-22732 isn't completely clear on the distinction between the server and wrapper command lines.

Last question: does hitting .stopwrapper via, say, Telnet over PuTTY instruct the server to save-all & stop, or is it a hard shutdown?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.