1.3 Massive Bug. Logout and chunks unload causes massive burst of lag.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Kane, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Kane

So this is a ongoing issue. Bigger servers seam to notice the impact more but you can see it on smaller servers as well.

What happens is when you logout the chunks unloading same to stall the main thread a bit and cause everything to lag. If your digging you will really see the effects.

Now some people might not experience this bug or think it's not there but it is. The ideal conditions for this bug is to have a few of your players spread out not in the same chunks at all. Then ask 2-3 of them to logout while you are digging. You will really experience this.

Now for some unknown reason since I'm not a programmer it also fluctuates and I'm unsure why this is. Sometimes there will be no lag and other times it will be like 5 seconds of lag.

The bigger the server is and the more spread out you are the worse it gets. Now if your on a large server with most people near each other then no chunks are unloading and you hardly feel the effects since it's not causing any.

I have tried this with several versions of 1.3 Bukkit now I have not had enough to produce it in Vanilla but Kainzo said to me this is only a Bukkit bug but it's not a 100% confirmed.

Please let us know if you experience this on your server and please report as much info as possible!

2. Offline

Euthyphro

I have this same problem on my server, we have quite a lot of players logged in at Age of Mining. Using craftbukkit version 497. It seems when users log out, it causes massive lag on the server.

3. Offline

kenjamen

I've just gotten started with Bukkit recently and so far it's been great EXCEPT for the above very serious issue. Logout causes severe lag. I think Kane described the problem very accurately. I haven't found the solution anywhere on these forums yet but I'll continue my search :/ Server is mostly running great except for these issues.
    (despite inherent lag/client visual errors).

Bukkit is truly a great project and thanks in advance!

-kenjamen
    Kenworld Creator

4. Offline

Andre_9796

@Kane are you kanechart from godcraft?

5. Offline

fffizzz

I have this too.. i have banned several people because its a constant connect disconnect and they do it over and over and over.

6. Offline

kenjamen

Yeah, it's kinda frustrating cuz relogging does really help with the visuals... but then this. Maybe there should be a damn client project also lol

7. Offline

Raphfrk

Does this happen on vanilla too?

What is probably happening is that it needs to write all the chunks back to disk when they are unloaded.

8. Offline

ioScream

These actually brings up a question I have about turning off save-on until doing a save-all (once every 30 minutes or something).. I've heard people voice concerns. What are those concerns, and would it really help to do this?

I also see a large CPU spike when people log off, to stay on topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.