[REQ] New chat plugin

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by DannieP, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Welcome viewers and Bukkit Developers!

One of the major problems my server has been faced with recently is chat spam, we're sometimes looking at 40-50 people on the default global channel (and growing rapidly) which can be slightly overwhelming for the newest players on our server. For a while I've searched for a plugin that is easy to set up and use, I don't want to over complicate something that should be fairly basic when joining a new server.

My server uses iChat for the message layout of the server, so I'd hope that the plugin either supports that or supports faction tags, allowing me to customize the display to my liking. Below i'll post a small image of what my chat is currently looking like;
    [FactionTag][Rank] Name:
    [​IMG]

Now in more detail. I'd like both permanent channels (Global, Room 1, Room 2 - for example) and private that can be easily located. Examples of commands;
    /chjoin Global
    /chleave Global
    /chcreate [Name]
    Not sure if passwording is over complicating things again for the private channels, 'maybe' a simple invitation from the channel admin. But i'm sure i'd live if passwording was easier;
    /chcreate [Name] [Password]
    /chjoin [Name] [Password]
    In addition there could be a new initial or channel name option to be added to the from of the message layout;
    [G][FactionTag][Rank] Name:

Thanks for reading and please tell me if i've stepped over the line, you need more detail and if you like Bukkit staff feel free to hit me :(
    - Dannie

cub_nake likes this.
  2. Offline

DrBowe

If you haven't already, take a look at HeroChat.
    It sounds (essentially) like what you are looking for.

cub_nake likes this.
  3. Offline

EdTheLoon

Just an idea for anyone that decides to take this up. Passwords DON'T have to be done on the same line. You could do /chjoin private and then the server could send a message to the player. This channel requires a password to enter. And then they just type the password into chat as if they were typing to talk to players but the server would capture the message and use it to check against the channel password and ALSO stop the message from being sent to everyone

cub_nake likes this.
  4. Hmm not sure, I have tried it.
    1 - It's not supporting faction tags, it just overwrites them.
    2 - It just isn't as easy to change the chat display as it should be.

I like this, ;)

Added note; Another admin on the server is willing to pay for the creation of this plugin + its continued support / exclusivity. That below is the other admin xD

cub_nake likes this.
  5. Offline

The Noodle

Exclusivity, while awesome, isn't needed. :)

cub_nake likes this.
  6. Offline

feildmaster

This sounds fun...

cub_nake likes this.
  7. Does that mean your thinking about it? xD

8. Offline

feildmaster

Thinking, yes...

1- How does iChat get the faction tag? I don't use it, so I wouldn't know.
    2- What plugin are you using for factions?
    3- What permissions version are you using? (Though I hate permissions... and would much rather not use it...)

For the permanent channels:
    - Do you mean you can't leave those channels?​
    - Or that they always exist?​

Does this mean you want to be able to be in "multiple channels" at once?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2016
    cub_nake likes this.
  9. They always exist, and yes if possible :)

10. Offline

Zalastri

Hey Feildmaster, if you do end up doing this, please consider towny support as well!

11. Offline

feildmaster

cub_nake likes this.
  12. Offline

Zalastri

Basically the same thing as factions. Towny gives town owners a prefix (IE Mayor Zalastri). Preserving this would be nice. Most chat plugins destroy the towny prefixes.

13. Offline

feildmaster

Well. If I make it, i'll release it as-is then add support as-i-go. ;)

cub_nake likes this.
  14. Offline

feildmaster

Alright, I'm doing this, and have an "okay" base made. Just a little update for this thread.

And I like this idea. I might do this later on.

cub_nake likes this.