[INACTIVE] DeathSigns v0.2 [740]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by codename_B, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Offline

codename_B

DeathSigns - Leave a sign where you die!
    Version: v0.2

Very simple plugin but great fun, especially on PvP servers!

Example sign:

Here lies
    codename_B
    12/10/2011 14:55

No dependencies and no permissions to set, just install it and let it run.

Dev Team

• Main Dev - l33t - scoutisimba
    • Other Guy - n00b - codename_B
    Known Bugs:
    • /suicide and /slay and some other plugin related or command related deaths sometimes don't work.
    • after installation a server restart is required.
    Features:
    • Leaves a sign where you die with the date/time of death and a message.
    Works on:
    • Is still working on all versions of bukkit from 655+ onwards with no changes. Woot!
    Download DeathSigns v0.2

Changelog:
    v0.2
    • Released - configurable messages
    • Released - auto sign cleanup after new deaths
    v0.1
    • Released - 11 preprogrammed messages for signs

2. Offline

Adam Shefki

Any odds you can have it cleanup the signs after a length of time? This is a great plugin, but with the number of players I have on my PvP server right now, but it would very rapidly become Signcraft.

3. Offline

codename_B

I'm working on it as we speak. Trying to find a non-database way to do it for optimisations sake.

How long a timer would do, do you think?

4. Offline

Codex Arcanum

Configurable would be nice.

5. Offline

codename_B

Both of those are coming in version 0.2 :)

Just wanted to get this out there and see the initial uptake to see if it was worth working faster on future releases.

6. Offline

hitandrun160

When you do version 0.2 that would be amazing! Thanks.

7. Offline

valdark

Love this idea... adding to my already overflowing Bukkit.

can you please make this a jar I cannot upload .zip to my server host currently

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  8. Offline

Deathly

I bet there is a jar inside the zip.. :eek:

9. Offline

codename_B

Yeah, there is a jar inside the zip lol, how else would you install it? :confused:

10. Offline

skulper34

You should disable the signs from dropping a return sign item to prevent people making free signs.

11. Offline

codename_B

Any idea how I would go about that?

12. Offline

Mohye

I like the idea!
    I hope that the release 0.2 will arrive soon.

13. Offline

Fluff

Use one of the four lines on the sign as an identifier for your plugin. For example, the four lines could be:
    [DeathSign]
    Here lies
    codename_B
    12/10/2011 14:55

Then watch for sign destruction. If a sign is destroyed that had [DeathSign] on the top, don't drop a sign.

14. Offline

codename_B

Genius! I love it!

Graversimen likes this.
  15. Offline

Arjan

I'm not downloading this untill next update. I can't wait :D

16. Offline

Dangazzm

This is totally pro for any server, just to say haha I found where you died in the lava!

But anyways I wish you luck in productions I want to add this so bad.

SUGGESTION Can you make is so sign cleanups occur after say... 50 signs are placed by the mod and start cleaning them up from oldest to newest? This would make sense for smaller servers or Non-pvp servers were deaths aren't QUITE so often. I see it was made for PvP mostly but... well I love the idea haha

17. Offline

valdark

Well no actually there is no jar inside the zip.

There are class, java, yml, and mf files but no jar.

The zip can be recognized by bukkit as a plugin however my server host does not allow the upload of zip files through the console.

##Edit... ah found the issue. On Mac when you unarchive the zip file it automatically unarchives the jar as well... I'll have to find a workaround it seems.

##Edit.. changed programs and had success pulling the jar out without it being unarchived as well... sorry about that.

18. Offline

Deathly

There is a jar inside :eek:

I checked it myself.. Are you opening the jar file with a .zip-Extractor? :D

Well anyways here it is.. [DropBox]

Oh lol you edited your post before i finished editing mine.. but yeah then its all fine :)

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  19. Offline

valdark

Thanks for the help though.

To the Devloper, it works great. Thanks for adding this.

20. Offline

City Builder

Once it has auto cleanup, it will definitely be worth having. As it is now, to have tons of signs laying about would be not very pleasant, nor having to go around and remove all the old signs.

Looking foward to when this has auto cleanup.

21. Offline

codename_B

I'm having a problem removing signs from chunks that aren't loaded.

Anyone got a workaround?

I've got a /cleanup command that cleans up deathsigns only in chunks loaded when you execute that command (I think) almost working - or not... we'll see haha this is the more difficult bit

22. Offline

valdark

Couldn't you put a timer on the signs?

23. Offline

Scoutisimba

but then you've got to check each block after it's destroyed to see if it's a sign or not, i think it would be healthier for the server to have a sign location stored for each player and then after their unfortunate demise remove the sign from the old location(if it still exists) and create one at a new location

- improved placement (i.e. don't destroy halfsteps etc, don't float in air)
    - configurable messages
    - automatic removal. I was thinking each player can only have 1 sign up at a time. An option could also be added so that the signs automatically time out.
    - Here lies [Player 1] slain by [Player 2]

24. Offline

codename_B

Remember the character limit for signs too, the messages have to fit into 15 character lines - preferably just one line.

25. Offline

valdark

Plugin still working on 602 but no longer places sign with /suicide command.

26. Offline

codename_B

Probably a good thing if I'm honest, as long as it still works with arrows and any plugin related deaths like /slay [player] I'm not gonna delve into it.

Thanks for the test though!

27. Offline

valdark

Understood. It was more to let you know that the rest was working as intended... I mean really do we need people to drop signs every time they suicide?

Thanks for the great plugin.

28. Offline

Rhythmatic

I'll definitely be using this on my server. Looking forward to automatic sign clean up. Also, is there a way to have it configured for messages specific to the type of death? "Name was murdered by AssassinName." "A creeper hugged Name." etc?

29. Offline

codename_B

Yes, very easily but the only real problem there is the character length of signs, it barely fits some player names into the one line.

30. Offline

Rhythmatic

Perhaps have it drop a "headstone", instead? Stone blocks stacked two high with the message wrapping around on multiple signs?