Inactive [ADMN/DEV] Permissions v2.7.4 (Phoenix) - DISCONTINUED! 3.0 has a new home!

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by TheYeti, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

TheYeti

Permissions 2.7.4 (Phoenix) - Now with AntiBuild built in!
    Download:
    Latest Stable: Full Zip | Jar Only
    Latest Dev Build: Full Zip | Jar Only
    Previous Versions: 2.7.3 (JAR) | 2.7.2 (JAR) | 2.7.1 (JAR) | 2.7 (JAR) | 2.6 (JAR) | 2.5.5 (JAR) | 2.5.4 (JAR) | 2.5.3 (JAR) | 2.5.2 (JAR) | 2.5.1 (JAR) | 2.5 (JAR) | 2.4 (JAR) | 2.3 (JAR) | 2.2 (JAR)

Plugin Authors: How to hook into Permissions

Permissions 2.x is being discontinued! 3.0 can be found HERE!!!

I am discontinuing Permissions 2.x and leaving the project. Permissions is not going away though! Since 2.6 I have been working closely with another developer and added them to the team. For the past several version they have not only been assisting with 2.x but also doing a lot of the development of much anticipated 3.x. rcjrrjcr will be taking over as lead developer of Permissions from 3.x forward. I have full faith in them and after working closely with them on the development on the last few version and the next major version I feel that I am leaving this project in more than capable hands. I put way to much work into this project to just leave it with anyone, and this is one of the few programs that I am incredibly proud of.

Many people will probably wonder why I am leaving again after taking over the project just a few months ago. I could quote drama and headaches, of which there were quite a few with this project. Unfortunately real life happens. Many people already know that I have been having medical issues here lately. Unfortunately while they have gotten better, they have not gone away. This coupled with other real life commitments, going to school full time, and starting up my own company, I am currently in the process of being laid off from work. At this point I have so much stuff going on in my life and am being pulled in so many directions that I am not able to get any work done on anything. This has lead to me missing commitments and letting people down on multiple things.

Permissions is also a very high maintenance plugin that requires a lot of attention and time. Right now I am not able to devote that time and do not feel it is fair for me to try to continue to be the lead developer on it. I had originally thought that adding other members to the team would be helpful, but unfortunately this just lead to frustration for them and myself as I just was not able to commit to the project enough. Hence, 3.0 has been rewritten almost exclusively by rcjrrjcr with minimal contributions by myself.

At this point I will be stepping away from the project to focus more on real life and to try to free up some time for other projects and to work with more individual like the wonderful HeroCraft Coding team to fulfill some commitments that I made to them a long time ago and sadly did not come through on. I feel that this is the best for all involved, both myself and the other Permissions developers, as well as the community who deserve someone who can contribute more time and attention to them and supporting them. I do not want to see Permissions end up like many other plugins with an absentee programmer and just slowly wasting away from a great plugin with a lot of potential to a headache with no support.

I will still be active in the community, just not as much as not in the same way. I'm sure my server will be more than happy to have their head admin back and active again as well.

Thank you and happy gaming.

Changelog
      • Added overload of has() and permissions() for plugin devs
      • Fixed negate node add/remove bug.
      • Fix for small subtle bug introduced in last minor version.
      • Commit by DThielke to fix several bugs with programmatic modifications of user permissions.
      • Further commits by rcjrrjcr
        • Removed negatedNode checks
        • Temp fix for NULL issue
        • WorldConfigurationModification to save only modified configs
        • Fix for cache problems
      • Pulled in commits by rcjrrjcr
      • Fixed versioning. Last version should have technically been 2.6
      • Fixed invalid config file being written
      • Fixed erroneous conversion message.
      • Updated to be compliant with CB600+
      • Further Maven Integration and Autobuilding
      • Better handling of configuration file errors.
        • If you do not have a world config file for the default world at startup it will now look for config.yml
        • If it cannot find that it will look for world.yml instead in case you named it that when that is not what is in level-name:
        • It will rewrite the config file to be the proper name. At this time it does not delete the old one though.
      • Removed defunct public abstract calls. If your not using the right one by now you should be shot anyway.
        • Added Command aliases for perms and pr
        • Changed the way directories are handled.
        • Stopped it from creating an empty <world>.yml file in base directory
        • Moved project to using Maven.
      • Change from File.pathSeparator to File.separator to fix multiworld perms
      • Added more instructions to the included config file within the plugin
      • Added a check that will use the default world permissions if a world specific config file cannot be found.
      • Added a function to get only the group that a player is assigned to without checking for group inheritance.
      • Added a change to colorize() to fix it hopefully not adding an extra unneeded ascii character and thus creating a linebreak/color switch issue
      • Removed permissions.info as it was not needed and was a artifact of testing I was doing.
      • Fixed a bug that could cause a group to be returned as null for getGroups()
      • Added in AntiBuild functionality to Permissions
      • Minor code tweaks
      • Added getGroups(world, player) to PermissionHandler so that plugins can call it to get all of a users groups
      • Fixed the inability to use the permissions -reload all command from within the console. I still need to do some more work on this as it doesn't seem to like to accept anything other than all from console.
      • Refactored namespaces to keep in line with Java & Bukkit policy
        • This was cancelled as it ended up being not needed
      • Fixed setupPermissions()
      • Undid removal of some code that I had overzealously purged during cleanup
      • Merged in last of Nijikokun's changes
      • Re-ordered the main class to attempt to fix the problems with Plugin API
      • Developer change
      • Fixed reloading of configuration files
      • Moved commands to registering with plugin.yml
      • Commands now use onCommand instead of onPlayerCommand
      • Command is now /permissions instead of /pr
    [/SPOILER]

mruczek, kahlilnc, Pii and 58 others like this.
  2. Offline

SplenectomY

I cannot wait for the day when permissions is inherent in Bukkit. This is getting too hard to keep up with. Still, I'm glad to see people at least trying after the scramble of Niji giving it up.

3. Offline

bwl

Thank you TheYeti, very much appreciated.

4. Offline

Phantom Index

GroupManager or Permissions.. Everyone is now making more difficult to choose between them. Hopefully they're both supported so I won't have to care. :p

5. Offline

Direct1221

1. I am glad to see there is some plan to add MySQL support, as that will open up a whole new bag of worms for functionality for servers.

2. I am glad you gave credit. Sure we all know who made the first Permissions, But I am glad to see an amazing coder get recognized in her work. I am glad that you took this over. Better than some of the other plugin developers that are too "High and mighty" to accept that Nijikokun was a big part of the bukkit development.

3. I like how you named the build "Phoenix", fits the "Permissions Re-birth" you are setting here.

4. I will probably use this when my Permissions 2.0 is no longer usable. But again, Thank you.

6. Offline

KiloWhiskey

Good luck with this. I just moved over to GM and while it is very robust, I'm not sure I'll stick with it now that I know there's a viable alternative that I'm already well familiar with.

7. Offline

Meteo

I dont get the hook intergrating, where do we copy paste this, or w.e? :O

8. Offline

DierWolf

niji (she) is still continuing it :) was gunna stop but isnt

9. Offline

RchGrav

he

10. Offline

sza22

hey this might be a dumb/newbie question, but what should i do if my permissions folder is empty and has no config.ylm file in it? when i start up my server with Permissions, and try the command /permissions , it says "you lack sufficient permissions to do that". any ideas? thanks.

11. Offline

DierWolf

its deffinatly a girl LOL, even said so on a forum AND IRC channel, please get your facts straight

/permissons was never a command anyways...

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
  12. Offline

RchGrav

On another note... Multiverse says "permissions 2.1" not found...

Is this following the compatibility of P2.0 or P2.1?

Thanks!

Rich

13. Offline

cjc343

Yes. TheYeti may be able to fix this in later builds, but for now try the "bridge" in my sig. I've found it to work with 2.2 as well.

14. Offline

sza22

yes it it:
    "Changelog
      • Developer change
      • Fixed reloading of configuration files
      • Moved commands to registering with plugin.yml
      • Commands now use onCommand instead of onPlayerCommand
      • Command is now /permissions instead of /pr "

15. Offline

DierWolf

hmmm
    sorry then i dont use permissions, and considering /pr was /permissions reload,

16. Offline

sza22

regardless, does anyone know why my Permissions folder is empty and /permissions and /pr do not work? sorry, but i need this plugin for others.

17. Offline

KazukiMutou

Okay, I have tried and tried but cannot get this to work. I am pretty sure I'm doing something wrong with the formatting but I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. The config the plugin creates has different formatting than the one included in the zip by Yeti. So I am confused which one is the correct one.

Whenever I try a command with the AdvBuilder group I get the message that I am denied access. CoAdmin/Admin works just fine.

Can anyone please take a look at my config and fix it? Or at least tell me what the proper formatting is.
    <Edit by Moderator: Redacted mediafire url>

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2016
    marinesleep likes this.
  18. Offline

TheYeti

@DierWolf At what point did Nijikokun state that she was continuing development
    and/or support of Permissions. The last I had read, she had explicitely stated
    that the only plugin she was going to continue working on was iConomy and that
    Permissions was up for grabs.

@Meteo The hook integration is only if you are creating a plugin and want it
    to use Permissions. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

@KazukiMutou The reason why it says that you lack sufficient permissions is because your
    formatting on your config file was all kinds of wonky. If you use the one I rewrote
    for you at http://pastebin.com/Ug66mJWX that should solve your problems. I have
    tested this on my dev server and it works just fine.

@RchGrav as cjc343 said, use his bridge for now.

@cjc343 Thanks for the bridge plugin, I will take a look at it and see about getting
    backwards compatability in. Unfortunately I don't have access to any of the previous
    code for earlier version of Permissions and I don't have any of the old JAR files to
    try and decompile. So your plugin will be helpful, especially if I am able to access
    the code for it. I will also find out why it's not working on mine. I'm still sort
    of scrambling to get everything up and functional and in a stable condition.

@sza22 It sounds like you didn't download the full plugin. Try downloading the entire thing
    and not just the jar file and going from there. That would be why your folder is empty it sounds like.

19. Offline

DierWolf

how about you not try to be mr. correct ? your just a member, calm down

20. Offline

TheYeti

Do you ever actually post anything useful or constructive? So far all I have seen you do is try and troll any forum post that has anything to do with Permissions. In addition, my question to you is valid. You stated that Nijikokun has resumed support/development of Permissions. I am curious to know when she stated this and where. It does not make sense for me to continue to try and develop this if the original plugin author is going to pick up where they left off.

DarkKiller13 and mrthesplit22 like this.
  21. Offline

DierWolf

was not in a post nor forum, was in a PM , :p so yea do what you do stop trolling me, i said 1 line and you send me a paragraph lol jeeze

and i belive your the troll here, considering i said 1 thing and you commented on it, when it was none of your business, but again you tagged 5 people, trieng to be mr. correct

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
  22. Offline

halomastercap

It seems like he was simply responding to his thread to me. You came into this thread behaving like an ass, and you were responded to in kind. Do unto your neighbor, you know?

tl;dr stfu & gtfo.

Thanks to TheYeti. <3 We JUST converted to Bukkit and haven't been able to do anything until we finally got this working. GroupManager was sucking and the old Permissions...well, you know, lol

DarkKiller13 likes this.
  23. Offline

DierWolf

actually if yu read what he specifaclly said to me, i twas harshly different from the other tags for 1..
    and 2, Groupmanager beats permissions bye a land slide "my opinion'

24. Offline

halomastercap

No, it was concise. Two sentences.

First: Stated/asked that he had seen no proof that Nijikokun said she was actually continuing support of Permissions. That is a fact, not an opinion or some kind of shady insult.

Two: Further explained that Nijikokun "explicitely stated that the only plugin she was going to continue working on was iConomy and that Permissions was up for grabs." This is also not an opinion or some sort of shady insult.

He was not being rude, he just wasn't going out of his way to sugar coat a response for you when it wasn't needed anyway. Most of his other tags were also just as concise. This isn't a fairy princess tea party, but is in essence a support topic.

Frankly, if you're being critical and intrusive into a thread about a plugin you just dismissed then you should just leave because you're doing nothing than being a dirty troll, and no one wants you here.

Edit: Of course you won't read it; you're a troll. Hope you get banned. <3

25. Offline

cjc343

DierWolf is attempting to kill permissions via FUD.

Nijikokun did update 2.1 to fix a few things, one was the need for the bridge. I believe the updated code is on github.

26. Offline

DierWolf

Lol i =m not bothering to read all that, so thanks for taking all your mght out on one person :)

27. Offline

RchGrav

28. Offline

Juze

Glad to see some progress!

29. Offline

DierWolf

either your a complete idiot, or you have not been here long, its a girl, ask anyone, she even said so on her IRC channel and forum :d so yea odnt try correcting meh

30. Offline

TheYeti

So I know that I have flooded out 3 updates in less than 12 hours. I apologize for this, most of them were not anything that actually should have affected the functionality to much. They were more code changes to help me get up to speed and get things stable and fixed that should have been functioning but somehow were missed. At least the updates here are nowhere near what my local repository commits look like. In actuality the majority of it was merging the updated code that Nijikokun had released with what I had already written and a great deal of code cleanup to try to bring it into line with best practices for java and getting rid of dead code and compile warnings & errors. Now that those are all out of the way I can get down to actually working on expanding functionality and only releasing a new version when something changes or it is needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.