Anyone checking plugins to check if they're safe?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by manky94, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

manky94

It's not an idea for a plugin (move it if it isn't or comment where it should be) but I'm just wondering if there is anyone who can check a plugin out (made by a random developer who came on my server) and see if it won't destroy everything. If anyone can help me then comment. The plugin the guy is making hasn't been made yet. Thankyou :)

2. Offline

Onlineids

manky94
    I could decompile it for you and check it over. Wouldn't take longer than a couple minutes.
    Wrong section BTW.

3. Offline

manky94

What section is it meant to be in?

4. Offline

JaguarJo

5. Offline

AoH_Ruthless

JaguarJo
    I don't think that's the proper section, because PD is more for help with your coding, specifically.

This section makes more sense but I'm not really sure.

6. Offline

Europia79

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

you could test inside a virtualbox environment... that way, any harmful code would be completely contained in a virtual environment... kinda like a sandbox.

(i could be wrong) but i'm guessing the worst case scenario is that your virtual machine wouldn't load (if the plugin was malicious).

But yeah, getting someone to decompile it and browse thru the code is another option

7. Offline

Onlineids

8. Offline

TnT

Moved to the correct section.

It is a common tactic to have people join a server and manipulate an unsuspecting admin to load a malicious plugin. Ask him to provide a link to an approved project on BukkitDev if they wish to suggest a plugin. Otherwise, walk away and don't think twice.

9. Offline

xEpicTaco

I honestly think the BukkitDev Plugin requests section is probably more dangerous than random people xD. But not all people are like this. I really do go on random servers and offer my dev services xD

10. Offline

Bobcat00

Says the guy who made a plugin, put it on dropbox.com, and posted it in another thread. :eek:

11. Offline

xEpicTaco

Yes, the fact that i help people on there doesnt make it safe. I dont rig my plugins, and i still dont download anything from that section myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.