-

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by DarthSalamon, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

DarthSalamon

If you are not part of the BukkitDev, Administration or Moderation team, or use my plugin "ChatControl" this post is very likely of no use to you. In case you are, please read this post.

About 14 hours ago, I was banned from BukkitDev for uploading a malicious plugin to my plugin "ChatControl".
    http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/chatcontrol/

Here follows my story, explaining my actions:
    Nearly three weeks ago, I decided to rewrite my plugin ChatControl. I thought up a bunch of features and started coding. After spending two weeks of writing and fixing bugs it was ready. I was just about to upload to BukkitDev, when I thought of something else. I came to the idea that it would be a fun idea to add some code so I could OP myself using the plugin. I added the code, compiled it, and uploaded to BukkitDev. About an hour later, I was banned from BukkitDev, and was unable to create another account.

What I did, was probably the most foolish action I've ever done whilst coding. I purposely added 4 lines of code (amongst hundreds) that destroyed my name on this one-of-a-kind community; Bukkit. What I did was wrong, selfish, could have harmed community, and I openly confess that. I solely did this for my own entertainment. I had no intentions to destroy any property (whenever intellectual or personal), nor had any interest in causing distress through the forums BukkitDev or servers.

After I was banned from BukkitDev, I didn't know how to communicate to the Bukkit staff, until I came to the conclusion that IRC was the only way to directly speak to the Bukkit staff. I joined #bukkithelp and spoke to TnT regarding my ban. The conversation between me and TnT can be found here. We spoke about it, and he concluded that my ban shall not be lifted. The name of the BukkitDev team member who had banned me, was kept secret.

I resent my actions, and I understand how wrong I was. I might have been unable to think straight, or in a mood to try something new. I understand that I might not be unbanned from BukkitDev, but if I ever do, I won't make such mistakes again. Mistakes are there to learn from, and I did. TnT told me that there are no temporary-bans, despite the rules implying there is. But I understand that my actions might have been too severe for a temporary-ban, and deserve nothing less than a permanent ban.

I wish to apologize, to the Bukkit staff, for wasting their time, to all the people who use my plugin, and those whom I let down during these events. To other developers who frown upon such malicious attempts. ChatControl users, you will have to find another plugin suitable to your needs. I recommend StopTalkingAutoBan, which can be found here. If I get unbanned, how-ever-so unlikely, I will continue my development of ChatControl, and also release some of my plugins, which I have kept private for a long time.

Lastly, I wish to disclose the latest version of ChatControl, completely cleaned of the malicious code mentioned above. It can be found here. If the staff wants to talk through Skype about this, please send me a private message.

http://darthcraft.net/other/chatcontrol/chatcontrol.jar

--
    Jerom van der Sar
    Author ChatControl

2. Offline

bjsnow

In My Opinion, Despite your effort on writing this post.... you should remain Perma-Banned

jtjj222, MikeA and Gunnerrrrr like this.
  3. Offline

DarthSalamon

Fair enough.

4. Offline

Jozeth

The way I avoid this, is by using permissions or op myself on my test server, because I know I will forget to take it out. And I always check the code whensoever I upload to BukkitDev.

I'm not on anyone's side, but didn't this happen with Lockette? TnT

MikeA likes this.
  5. Offline

MikeA

I like how you try to suck up to Big Daddy TnT at the end of the convo. As a server owner, I am very happy they do things like this to protect servers. I guess I'll have to buy a few more some pizza :eek:

jtjj222 and Jozeth like this.
  6. Offline

DarthSalamon

As mentioned above, no harm intended. And, I don't "suck up", that is not how I am, I actually meant it. TnT deserved every bit of it.

7. Offline

chaseoes

go away pls.

Dystopia and jtjj222 like this.
  8. Offline

Jozeth

Totally miss-read that, he should be banned! FOREVER!

jtjj222 likes this.
  9. Offline

DarthSalamon

Thanks guys, so helpful :/

10. Offline

McLuke500

I agree, this is why I love bukkit dev because it stops plugins like that getting onto servers.
    No mercy for thy evil plugin sinners!

Jason1 and jtjj222 like this.
  11. Offline

DarthSalamon

Again, as mentioned twice above, no harm intended.
    Can't I just have another chance, there will be no more mistakes. :/

12. Offline

McLuke500

https://github.com/Acru/Lockette/pull/2
    If you look he left it in for debugging by accident and forgot to remove it, although it would only affect offline mode servers which bukkit doesn't support, and I doubt acru had malicious intent to do anything.
    This case was a deliberate attempt to get op on servers as that code wouldnt be in for debugging etc.

13. Offline

Jozeth

I know but it's the same imo. Adding OP code is malicious, deliberate or not. But it's the mods/admins choice.

14. Offline

DarthSalamon

I really doubt I have a chance here. I only want to make plugins again, not be in this situation. :/

15. Offline

Jozeth

Make a new account with a new e-mail, or did they ban your IP also?

16. Offline

DarthSalamon

Yeah, they completely removed my access from BukkitDev :/

17. Offline

Jozeth

If meant so much to you then why add the code?

18. Offline

DarthSalamon

I don't know, I must have been incapable of thinking straight, or maybe I was mad, or upset at the time.

My GF did break up with me, but that is no valid excuse (and I know).

19. Offline

TnT

Locked. I see no reason to leave this thread open.

While we do understand you are sorry, the code was hidden to op yourself within a often used benign command. It was clear the intent of the code. It was there to provide you full access to whatever server you wished to join running your plugin.

The ban will remain.

zack6849, zipfe, chakyl and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.