Bukkit on a Raspberry Pi: Performance

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Karreerose, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Karreerose

Hey there!
    I started playing MC a week ago and thought I'd build my own server using my pi (512mb ram), so that friends could join.
    I installed raspbian freshly and added the Bukkit installation using the latest build.
    The Raspberry is OC to 1ghz. Nothing else is running on it.

Then I went ahead and copied my old world onto the server, configured it (standard settings, view distance 7, max players 10 - although i'm the only one on it..) and added two plugins after being advised on a few blogs (Clearlag, NoSpawnChunks).

I started the Server using this command:
    sudo java -Xms256M -Xmx496M -XX:MaxPermSize=128M -jar /home/pi/spigot.jar nogui

Well. I can connect to the server. I can somehow play on it. It works quite well actually. (my world so far isnt really big, just a little animal farm and two small houses, nothing fancy). However: If i destroy a block, it renders it destroyed first until it flicks again to be present and unharmed until it disappears like it should, dropping the loot (dirt for example). This somehow makes it feel quite laggy. Is that normal? Should I expect that because of the low processing power? Or is there some error?

I don't quite expect a better performance from a server like mcpro (like that one https://mcprohosting.com/plans.php for 5 players) as they promise to have 235 megs of ram and you surely don't get a decent cpu aswell, or have to share it with like 50 other people on one physical server, so I cant quite imagine being that such a problem.

I should also mention that the ping elsewhere on the server is quite good in terms of interactions with picking up stuff or opening.closing fence gates and such. I'm also connected via Wifi directly, so the direct ping to the server is about 5ms.
    The /tps command gives me values of about 10 to 15, depending on the situations.

Is there any way to play lagfree on a Pi? Should I get 20 tps somehow?

Thanks a lot for your replies!

2. Offline

TnT

Locked. You are not running our software, any advice we give will not be valid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.