Bukkit Server Confusion

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by theEman52, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

theEman52

OK, so i have the Bukkit server running, but I'm not sure how my friends and i are supposed to connect. im not sure what to do with ips, like in the actual bukkit program there is a thing that says server-ip, do i put anything there or not? do i use the hamachi ip? do i use the ip that cmd gives me? do i use the one that websites give me?
    im super confused and if anyone can help me that would be great. Thank You

2. Offline

JWhy

Leave the value for server-ip= in server.properties blank and use your public IP address (find out at http://www.whatismyip.com/).
    If you (most likely) connect to the internet via a router you'll have to set up port forwarding, which is described on http://portforward.com/ (search for your router model there)

3. Offline

theEman52

OK thanks and also I can't the port forwarding part down. Like I went to website, found my router and then it told me to set up a static IP which I tried it wasn't working. Do you have anything to help with that?

4. Offline

JWhy

5. Offline

theEman52

Ya I tried that but it didn't work. I downloaded their program but it didn't work.

6. Offline

JWhy

theEman52: Follow the text tutorials, they're linked below the software on the page I posted

7. Offline

saiismad823

Are you using windows? If you are this is how you setup a static IP. Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center> Change adapter settings > Right click on your Network adapter and select properties Scroll down and double click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) > Select the Use the following IP address > Enter your static IP address and Gateway. Also enter your DNS settings that your ISP gave you. If you are unsure just use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (They are googles DNS servers). Then click OK or Apply.

8. Offline

theEman52

OK I will try to do that and once I do that I should be able to connect to my server correct?

9. Offline

saiismad823

Yes... If that is whats causing the problem. NOTE: You will probably have to edit your port forwards to point to your new IP address.

10. Offline

theEman52

Well if I run into that problem I will post it here since port forwarding is for some reason very confusing to me. Also just wondering is there a way to not port forward and use hamachi for bukkit servers?

11. Offline

saiismad823

Yes there is but it will be quite laggy and just not as good. Because hamachi uses proxy servers which are not designed for gaming. Your better off doing it properly. playing will be a much more pleasant experience.

12. Offline

theEman52

OK thank you so much what you have posted helped a lot better than what I thought I was going to get so thank you very much

13. Offline

saiismad823

Thats what im here for :)

14. Offline

theEman52

If you could help me with one more thing. When I try to log onto my router which is needed to port forward, it takes Mr to my Comcast log in and I have tried everything but it won't log onto and what is confusing is that its not taking me to my Asus router

15. Offline

saiismad823

Is your computer plugged directly into your router?
    Tell me how how your trying to connect. e.g via http, ssh, etc?

16. Offline

theEman52

I'm connecting wirelessly. If youre talking about connecting to minecraft I have it downloaded

17. Offline

saiismad823

So your server is connected to your router via WI-FI, correct?

18. Offline

theEman52

Yes I am not using an ether net cable

19. Offline

saiismad823

Ok try using a Ethernet cable as your wireless authentication may not like the amount of traffic being transmitted and received to your server. it will also perform way better

20. Offline

theEman52

I would use one but my router is near me but getting an ether net cable would be hard to wire to it

21. Offline

saiismad823

Is your router also your wireless access point?

22. Offline

theEman52

OK well I have a Comcast one and we bought another one for me which is connected to the Comcast one and its the one I use and its wireless

23. Offline

saiismad823

You will need to port forward both routers then

24. Offline

theEman52

Uh is it the same method and have you done before

25. Offline

saiismad823

Yes it should be pretty much the same method but it will look a bit different because they are different routers. Yes I have done this many times before

26. Offline

theEman52

OK well I will try this tomorrow since its getting a little late but I post with any questions that I have.

27. Offline

saiismad823

28. Offline

theEman52

OK well I feel bad saying this but I just can't get it to work. If its not too much of a hassle which it probably is, but if its not could post like a step by step on how to set up a bukkit server all together. If you can't I understand.

29. Offline

saiismad823

theEman52 There is not going to be a tutorial for your exact scenario because in a nut shell all routers are different.

Here is the basic outline of what you need to seeing as you have 2 routers for some reason.

IF your wireless router is in bridge mode:
    1) log into your non wireless router and forward port 25565 to your server's IP address.
    2) follow these instructions: http://wiki.bukkit.org/Setting_up_a_server

IF your wireless router is not in bridge mode:
    1) Log into your non wireless router and forward port 25565 to the IP address of your wireless router.
    2) Log into your wireless router and forward port 25565 to the IP address of your server.
    3) Follow these instructions: http://wiki.bukkit.org/Setting_up_a_server

As I am unfamiliar with your particular router's firmware I cannot tell you exactly how to port forward with them but I can send you to this website. Simple select your router model and follow the instructions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.