Bukkit Web Admin?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by MonsieurApple, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

MonsieurApple

2. Offline

Snowl

I have made a plugin that enables you to see what each player has as an inventory, see what players are on, broadcast a message, kick a user, kill server, reload server, give and remove items from users from the web. This will work on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X, be remotely accessible and allow more than one person to use it. This probably wont be released because of three reasons
    • It's currently backend and has no authentication support atm.
    • I probably won't finish it
    • The WebServer that i'm using isn't made by me, it's made by someone else on bukkit's and they are going to be using it for their bukkit admin.

3. Offline

MonsieurApple

Cool. Also, FYI everyone the project has gone closed source.

Thanks for the initial help/ideas, but I've decided to take this up as a personal project.

4. Offline

TnT

Why close the source?

5. Offline

MonsieurApple

I felt like working on it by myself, and maybe eventually, licensing it to people.

6. Offline

DerpinLlama

So why did that require closing the source?

7. Offline

MonsieurApple

Because how can I sell it to someone if they can just go grab the source code? :p

I'm releasing my server wrapper latter today.

8. Offline

Plague

Another one of those, oh well, your choice...

9. Offline

MonsieurApple

Another one? Right now I don't see any focused on just Bukkit :p

10. Offline

Plague

Another one of those closed-source-will-make-me-rich people.

11. Offline

MonsieurApple

I was going open source untill PhonicUk and I had a little chat about it.

I've already had some offers so I guess we will see :p

Also, my MineLink wrapper for BukkitTcpServer has been released! See here -> http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/3564/

12. Offline

DerpinLlama

Wait, so you made is closed source just so you can profit from it?

Douchebag move.

13. Offline

MonsieurApple

You can't expect me to write a piece of open source software. I went closed source because yes, I do plan to make money off it. To pay the bills ;)

I was even nice and released my MineLink class. Now you're calling me a douchebag? I don't think thats how things are supposed to work...

14. Offline

Obsidian

I'll be rooting for the GPL-licensed web-based admin interfaces in that case.
    Might make my own as well, we'll see; just depends on how much time I have and if I can get the framework that it would rely upon stable.

15. Offline

Plague

What would have we even done without you, oh my generous Lord...
    What do you expect? On this forum information is shared, you even asked for help on something. So now that you want to stop sharing you think we will like it or something?
    Do what you want with your code man, but I perfectly understand Derpin and why he called you what he called you.
    You may sell the admin at first to a few people, but when there will be an open alternative, then it will most certainly stop.

16. Offline

MonsieurApple

I thought you might atleast appreciate it. And I was only asking for ideas, not that much to ask for.... Also, there's going to be a free version of this, so chill.

I still don't see what called Derpin to be so mean. The only part of this that meant anything to him was the MineLink part, which I gave to him.

Also, what happened to McMyAdmin... I see plenty of hMod web admins with McMyAdmin still ruling the market?

17. Offline

TnT

First off, this bashing needs to end. If @MonsieurApple wishes to close his source, fine. If it's already licensed, it needs to be forked and closed (somehow?), and the inital work could be forked and kept open.

If someone wants it, and someone will, they can buy it. For the rest of us, we will have other alternatives.

Good luck MonsieurApple.

18. Offline

MonsieurApple

Thank you TnT.

Also, we never decided on a license, which is one of the reasons it was taken of GitHub and gone closed source.

19. Offline

Plague

Yeah, this is something the plugin release system should address, no plugin should be out without a license, it can only lead to future problems...

20. Offline

MonsieurApple

Agreed. I was considering bringing this up on IRC.

Other forums I'm on require a license to be specified, otherwise, the thread is removed.

21. Offline

MonsieurApple

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.