BukkitDev uploads

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by MYCRAFTisbest, Oct 14, 2012.

?

Has this happened to you ever

1. Yes, and i agree with the order by approval time idea

55.6%
  2. Yes, but i like the way it is already

11.1%
  3. No, but you are right, something has to be done

11.1%
  4. No

22.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

MYCRAFTisbest

Hi. I have uploaded many plugins before. The last two however are confusing me.

The first was CraftMe, which was the first release, so it made some sence. It took almost 24 hours

The second was RWtorchlight, which has been up longest and has well over 3,000 downloads. It has been over 15 hours. That isn't the bad part. The bad part is that people who uploaded new files 1 hour ago are being submitted.

This wouldn't bother me to much, but bukkit uses a odd form of putting plugins in order of upload time. This should be ordered by approval time.

But can someone please explain why people who uploaded 1 hour ago get approval before I do?

2. Offline

Gravity

Projects and Files are approved in the order they are received - if you submit anything before someone else, it will be approved sooner, that's just how it works. There's a queue we use. Not really sure what you're talking about.

jtjj222 likes this.
  3. Offline

MYCRAFTisbest

I know. But if you go to BukkitDev now, u will see plugins updated that say 1 hour ago.

This is a link to my plugin http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/rwtc/files/9-rwtorch-light-v-1-h-1-2-5-r2-to-1-3-2-r1-0/

Notice how it says 15 hours ago and isn't yet approved. It appears as if someone forgot or that I am missing something.

4. Offline

Gravity

We have multiple staff on the queue, it may just be that someone has a batch of files (including yours) under review, and that while they are going through their stack another person claimed another stack of files submitted later.

Also, the bigger your file is the longer it takes to review, I assume that's logical enough.

CevinWa likes this.
  5. Offline

MYCRAFTisbest

That makes sense, but yesterday i uploaded a plugin and it took all day. I honestly do not mind the time, it is just that it should be organized on the main page by order of time of approval, not upload time. Otherwise, devs lose their window of opportunity to attract new people to use their plugin, especially if it is new like mine 2 days ago. I only got 3 views (i did wait for it to update, i got a total of 3 downloads)

h31ix
    Is there anyway you could upload files based upon when they were approved?

Or maybe give files one at a time and just go back for the next right after, making everything work smother?

It finally uploaded, but that was too long a wait

6. Offline

Gravity

You keep saying "do x based on when they were approved" what are you talking about? You want us to approve files for projects that have been around for longer faster than files for projects that just got approved? I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Also makes no sense.

7. Offline

hawkfalcon

I think he means this:
    When a file is approved, it appears on the front page based on when it was submitted. He would like it to be ordered by approval time. :p

8. Offline

MYCRAFTisbest

Yes, exactly right.

9. Offline

Gravity

Ok, well that's a suggestion sure, but that still doesn't explain what you mean by this:
    Are we playing chicken/egg? You upload a file, the staff approve it later. There's no uploading based on anything, and there's no approving based on any other factor than at what time the file was uploaded, which decides it's place in the queue.

Here's how this works - you upload a file, and as soon as you do it gets added to the file queue, which looks something like this before you submit your own file:
    Code:
    NAME PROJECT AUTHOR TIME
    v3 CoolProject Guy 1 hour ago
    v2 CoolProject Guy 2 hour ago

Now here's what it looks like
    Code:
    NAME PROJECT AUTHOR TIME
    v3 CoolProject Guy 1 hour ago
    v2 CoolProject Guy 2 hour ago
    v-1.H RWTC  MyCraft 1 minute ago <------- thats yours

We approve v3 first, v2, then your file, e.g. the order it was received. There's nothing else going on here, I can't understand what you're asking for.

jtjj222 and hawkfalcon like this.
  10. Offline

MYCRAFTisbest

I explained myself badly, hawkfalcon explained what i meant better, but this is what i meant by that

11. Offline

Gravity

So is that all you're asking for? That the main page shows the time as it's approval time, not it's upload time?

jtjj222 likes this.
  12. Offline

xXSniperzzXx_SD

I agree with this... i waited a while for an approval and by the time it gets approved i'm on page 3.. So if they did it by approval time not upload time it would make it more fair in my opinion... then the time your plugin is on the first page attracting ppl isn't determined by how many other ppl uploaded files

13. Offline

Jacek

Tbh that does make more sense, if you are subscribed to file uploads for a plugin you get the subscription update before you can actually download the file too which is rather silly.

14. Offline

MYCRAFTisbest

If anyone else agrees, please comment

15. Offline

Gravity

You don't have to collect an angry mob to get something done.

I did ask if that's all you're requesting, if it is I'll be sure to add it to our to-do list.

hawkfalcon and jtjj222 like this.
  16. Offline

LiLChris

This always bothered me, i usually check the first 3-4 pages after that I tend to stop.
    I generally check for new stuff, everything else is in my bookmarks.

Sometimes I noticed if i go back far enough i see a new plugin which ends up being nice to try but I am sure I have missed a bunch.
    But this is just me, I am constantly checking Bukkit. :D

17. Offline

MYCRAFTisbest

I'm not, i'm trying to get a petition.

18. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

A petition for uh... what?

19. Offline

Gravity

I already told you we would add it to the list, all you have to do is answer this simple question:

Is what you want for the listings of Server Mods to be displayed by approval time instead of upload time?

You don't need a petition lol

20. Offline

MYCRAFTisbest

Oh ok, yes i do. Still good to get feedback though.

21. Offline

Gravity

Great! I'll add your suggestion to the list, though. Seeing as that's what you wanted, and now we've taken to talking about it, I don't know what other type of feedback you would need, but ok.

hawkfalcon likes this.
  22. Offline

MYCRAFTisbest

I don't. I just find feedback (even bad feedback) is a good thing overall. Don't you think so?

Its just cause i want to hear what everyone thinks, i know i don't need to.

23. Offline

MYCRAFTisbest

How is it doing so far

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.