Chunks reporting as Air

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by wachnlurn, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

wachnlurn

Ive been having this problem on my server where in certain areas players act almost as OP's. They can open protected doors, locked chests, interact with blocks they should not be able to interact with. And it has also caused problems with OTCO. Through some detective work i have found out that this is due to Chunks reporting as Air, but it seems entirely random and possibly the same chunks do not always act this way. I cant really confirm it though.
    I am unable to find any other documentation, complaints, descriptions or fixes other than what is available in threads for Factions, and OTCO. I have no idea if this was caused by me misconfiguring something in the past or installing a buggy plugin, or if a plugin still in use is the cause.
    I think i have limited the occurance of the buggy chunks but it could be taht users have just migrated to new areas after "strange griefings" :)

These are the plugins that I believe are related to this, but are not necessarily the cause
    BananaChunk (disabled)
    Ore to Client Obfuscation (disabled)
    Lockette (disabled/no longer needed)
    Factions
    Spout

Have any server admins thoroughly tested this?
    Has anyone narrowed it down to bukkit or a specific plugin.
    Are any Devs working on a fix?
    If this is a Bukkit problem, are the Devs aware of it?
    Do they have a timeframe for when it could be fixed?
    Will it be possible to fix for existing maps, or will it be necessary to generate a new map for the above mentioned things to work as intended?

nothing? no info available at all?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
  2. Offline

Supersam654

Spout is known to cause some random problems that can't really be accounted for because it is a pretty new plugin that hooks into a lot of things. However, this doesn't really sound like a Spout thing. Try removing OTCO. It deals with altering parts of your map and how users see it, so this is definitely something that could cause this problem.

If removing OTCO doesn't fix your problem, post an entire list of plugins that you have along with any errors you see in your server.log file.

3. Offline

wachnlurn

I have removed OTCO, but OTCO Devs seem to think it is not their fault and it is a bukkit/spout problem, and i would definitely like to use their plugin! I'm trying to shed some light on the issue. I will post my completeplugins list later when I get some more time. The Factions Dev has also been getting these reports from some server owners. Basically from what i can tell certain chunks have every single block thinking it is air.

4. Offline

Supersam654

There are other anti-xraying plugins (search xray in the Get Plugins list). Also, you should try removing Spout and see if things improve.

5. Offline

AgentKid

@wachnlurn Does unloading the chunk (moving 150+ blocks away) and coming back fix the problem, or does it require a full server reboot?

6. Offline

wachnlurn

If all players in the chunk and surrounding chunks relog. it fixed the problem with OTCO showing all visible blocks as ore, but then when they would dig some more the newly uncovered stone would appear as ore again(not always the case but a majority of the time). So rather than tell my players to relog we installed bananachunk as recommended in this thread. As soon as players started using the /chunkme command they started having issues, such as not being able to place signs, anyone could open a protected door/chest.It almost seemed like after using /chunkme the chunk (or whatever controls these things) wasnt detecting Factions regions or Lockette permissions.
    The server gets restarted daily, so if that was a fix it would have fixed it.

7. Offline

luciddream

From what I gather the issue is with teleporting into unloaded chunks, logging in doesn't seem to cause the issue but I haven't tested it extensively.

I'll repost here what i posted in the bug issue thingy here http://leaky.bukkit.org/issues/1325
    I've tracked the issue down to CB1045, anything before 1045 teleports fine and I never get messed up chunks, 1045 and up I get messed up chunks like 1 in 4 teleports into an unloaded chunk. CB seems to think that the chunk you teleported into is all air, but the surrounding chunks seem to get messed up as well. I had some wool on the ground near a busted chunk but not in it, so I checked and CB thought it was ice (it was surrounded by ice on the same plane in a big ice covered lake) and after running around checking blocks all over I found an ice block reporting as wool 16 blocks +Z. While I was running around checking blocks I was getting lots of ice blocks reporting as air or reporting as stationary water, both of which were also located on the same plane but from what I can tell they weren't transposed the same distance/direction as the wool was. It does seem to make all the blocks in the chunk you teleported into report as air, but it seems to mess up surrounding chunks as well, although I'm not sure exactly what is happening.

8. Offline

Supersam654

I would like to point out that Bukkit has been known for some weird teleportation bugs in the past...and I believe that this is no exception.

9. Offline

wachnlurn

any update to this? i really hope this isn't what is causing it. I have just started up a fresh map partially because of these 'air chunks' also for 1.8 features :D but i would imagine if this is the cause it will continue to happen.

10. Offline

luciddream

Not really, I've been rolling back that commit and manually recompiling and now I only get chunk bugs when players teleport between worlds, but teleporting within a world seems to be fine. I assume the bukkit team has their hands full with the 1.8 stuff but hopefully they'll get to this bug before too long its really frustrating.

11. Offline

Supersam654

If I am understanding correctly what your problem is, then this is not a Bukkit problem. Vanilla Minecraft does this as well and nobody has come up with a fix for it yet (or has at least not implemented it).

12. Offline

luciddream

There are 2 issues that are probably related. The first issue is teleporting into an unloaded chunk in the same world - that one is "fixed" by rolling back the player movement commit from build 1045, and I have to manually edit the relevant file and recompile every time I want to update CB or I will have horrible problems with teleports. The first problem was not an issue in build 1000, which was an RB, and is present in the next RB, 1060. Unless I'm forgetting, 1000 and 1060 (and of course all the builds in between) were for the same version of the vanilla server, so if the issue is in fact a vanilla bug it got worse in 1045. The second issue is teleporting into unloaded chunks in another world - similar but is not fixed by rolling back the 1045 commit and is still present in CB1000.

13. Offline

Supersam654

@luciddream I re-read the entire thread just to make sure, and I am pretty sure that you are the only one who ever brought up the chunk/tp bug. This leads me to think that this is not the OP's problem at all (however I am completely aware of the Bukkit problem that started around build 1k).

14. Offline

luciddream

The bug described was blocks reporting as air when they aren't air, the teleport bug is what causes that issue. What happens is, frequently when you teleported into an unloaded chunk CB gets confused and starts returning air for every block. This seems to be exactly the issue the op is describing.

If you're checking to see if a player is opening a chest/door you'd get a player interacting with air, so the protection wouldn't kick in, which is exactly what happens when the chunk bug hits after a teleport.

15. Offline

Supersam654

@luciddream I have seen the problem occur when you are just walking across the map and 1 chunk doesn't load. This is why I think that you are misinterpreting the problem. The OP has never mentioned anything about teleporting so I doubt that the problem is being caused by teleporting. With that said, the problem that the OP is describing (with random chunks "not loading") is a Minecraft bug and is not bukkit related (because it is not the TP bug).

16. Offline

wachnlurn

@Supersam654
    @luciddream
    Update:
    I am aware the bukkit team fixed what they believe to be the problem with /tp to unloaded chunks between worlds.

I have since migrated to a new world(opened with first 1.8 dev builds and now RB1185), and because it might be helpful to explain how we migrated i will :D Basically i would tp a member to the old world /spawn. He would then use /home to return to the structures he wanted copied to new world and i would /tp to him. So /home was used to tp to an unloaded chunk. I would then use world edit to copy the structures (the /home location is always in the copied area). So if it was reporting as air I believe worldedit would copy/paste nothing but air correct? Well that was not the case, everything pasted fine. Unless it was indeed only caused by players teleporting only from another world to an unloaded chunk.

I then decided to assume the problem was fixed. So i have reinstalled OTCO (non-spout version this time and /chunkme. everything was going fine and for the most part and still is, no one is really complaining about strange griefings or inability to interect with objects. However, looking at the server.log today on my lunch I noticed someone ask why every block in his mine would sometimes appear as diamonds (due to OTCO) he was told by another player it was a bug and to use /chunkme. He responded to say "thanks that worked"

It was never that a chunk didn't "load" everything appeared normal unless you checked what blocktype it was. And i never mentioned tp because i had no incling that that could be the problem. I only listed symptoms, and plugins that i "thought" could be involved.
    As a server owner and not a developer all I CAN do is report and treat symptoms.

17. Offline

Supersam654

In that case, things are a little different. For starters, can you give us an entire list of plugins that you are using. There are easily a dozen plugins with a /home command. Also, the TP into an "air" chunk has been a bukkit problem since around CraftBukkit 1000. These chunks have not been altered and are still fully functioning, they just aren't appearing correctly for the user. This is why WorldEdit has no problem with them and when someone relogs, they appear just as they were (basically, no matter how many times this happens, user work will never be lost because of it).

As far as fixing the problem, I don't really know. I do not know if OTCO is making the problem better/worse/the same. Also, I do not know if the problem has been fixed, however I really thought that they fixed it in 1060. With that said, what version of CraftBukkit are you using. The easiest way to find out is to start your server and copy and paste the ~4rd line that it outputs starting with "This server is running with craftbukkit...".

18. Offline

nacs

Our server has been having this kind of problem for a while now. Even with the latest promoted build of Bukkit this issue persists.

Basically, random chunks will start exhibiting the symptoms of this "Air block" problem. LWC will stop working in these chunks, Magic Carpet will leave trails in the air and even overwrite existing blocks with the glass, etc. NoCheat plugin also frequently stops people from being able to place in these chunks due to its "Air build" hack protection (even though they're not actually trying to place on air).

I would love to figure out how to reduce the chances of this air chunk problem happening as it's been a pretty big problem for a while now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.