[CLIENT] Bukkit client package manager.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by siamon, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

siamon

Hi,
    this thread is to propose something to improve the bukkits servers.
    This is now just an idea that i can't realise because i'm definitly not good enough to code that.
    The main idea is to create a Client launcher that allows the client to download packages like textures, new id blocks, sounds, mobs from the server they log in ...

Currently clients and servers can't have any other IDs block because the server can't upload any package to the clients. The only way to use more blocks is to change the client manualy and this is too complicated or anoying for many clients.

How could it work:
    First of all the client will have to download the Bukkit client.
    If a player wants to log in a server that needs the bukkit client a message (like the whitelist message) will tell the player sorry but you need the bukkit client to play on this server... (something like that).
    Then if a player logs in with the good bukkit client a folder will be created with the ID/IP of the server and the server will upload a package to the client with every items needed to play on that server.

What will be BAD with this:
    It will increase the servers lags because every blocs added will impact the server performance, but this have to be the choice of the admin. Client can have freezes too because the computers have to be good if the admin wants textures or many sounds and blocs on their servers... Admin will have to assume that aswell.

What will be GOOD with this:
    More freedom to manage a server, and more stuff to do for the pluggin developers.
    Bukkit is for the moment used by every admins but client don't care about bukkit or else.
    If clients have to play with the bukkit launcher, everyone will have to know wich server is used and it'll improve the bukkit community! (The bigger community the bigger developpers, donations,reputation,...)

I'm sorry for my bad english this is not my mother tongue.
    But do you think this will be possible one day?
    Sincerly yours

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.