[CONCEPT] Playtime based bounty (OnTime Plugin Extension)

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Edge209, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Offline

Edge209

This is really not a request for a plugin, but a request for input on a plugin concept under development. Read my ideas below and comment if you think this is something you would want on your server, and make any suggestions you have for improvements, additions, etc.

This plugin is an extension to the OnTime playtime tracking and reward plugin, which uses the OnTime engine and data to create an automated Bounty system for PVP servers.
    This plugin is currently in the concept stages, and here are some of the features under consideration. Please take a look and feel free to offer your comments or suggestions of what you think is a good idea, and what is not a good idea. Also suggest other things I should consider. I'm especially interested in hearing about how you think players would try to 'cheat' the system in order to gain rewards outside of the 'spirit' of the plugin and the concept of 'fair play'.
    • The size of the bounty placed on a players head will be dependent on a number of factors: - Total amount of player's total playtime (the more time they play the higher the bounty) - Their top 10 rank of total playtime - Their 'prestige level' * - The amount of time since the last bounty was collected on them. - others?
    • * 'Prestige Level" will be determined by the plugin and will be related to the number of bounties a player collects, the number of different players they kill to collect bounties, the prestige level of the players they collect bounties on, the number of bounties collected on their heads, more?
    • ** To discourage players from repeatedly killing a newbie or other weaker players, a bounty will not be offered for a player until they have been on the server for a configurable amount of time. Also after a player has had a bounty collected on their head, another bounty will not be offered until they have again played for a configured amount of time.
    • Killing players that do not have a bounty on their head will result in a deduction in the prestige points for a player, and may also impact the size of the bounty on their own head.
    • The bounty placed on players head will be the maximum bounty that can be awarded, but it may not be the reward a player receives. To discourage players from just killing their friends to collect the bounty, the plugin will keep track of how many times a player kills certain other players. The more often a player keeps killing a few certain players the lower the bounty will be, and it could begin to affect a players prestige points. This will should also discourage picking on weaker players.
    • The bounty rewards may actually be 'prestige points' instead of cash, but a system would be set up to allow players to convert points to cash or other prizes. This would give the admins better control of the system, and so that the rewards don't ruin their economy if there are too many bounties being paid out.
    • The size of bounty will be broadcast to all online players when a new player joins the server. There will also be commands to list the top bounties, as well as the bounty for a specified player.
    • When a bounty is rewarded this will also be broadcast to all online, as well as the size of the bounty on the head of the player that just got a kill.
    • This plugin may require MySQL database. (Is that a problem for you?)
    My tentative target for a first release is mid/late August.

2. Offline

Edge209

bump ... maybe not such a good idea since no one has a comment .....

3. Offline

np98765

Nay, I saw it, but didn't really have an opinion. Thought plenty of others would supply you with useful feedback. Guess not. :3

Anyways, I like the idea. For any server that has a bounty-hunter system, this would be great, considering that none of the existing plugins are anywhere near this in complexity and features. But that might also be an issue; it seems too complex to explain to the average user. If you just let the users play, say "Bounties change based on many factors", that's fine, but if you want to explain to them exactly how bounties are calculated... Granted, that doesn't really matter. :p

I think you've done a pretty good job closing all loopholes; I can't seem to find any way to successfully cheat the system, but I'll keep thinking.

I think that at this point, almost everyone has set up a MySQL database for something or another *cough cough* Block loggers *cough*. If they haven't, then you might want to add a flatfile option in the config. I always think its good to give them both options.

Also, you contradicted yourself... You said "a bounty will not be offered for a player until they have been on the server for a configurable amount of time", but then you also said "the size of bounty will be broadcast to all online players when a new player joins the server". Or maybe I just misunderstood. >.<

I like the prestige points idea. Owners will be able to define the prizes for prestige points, and they can control how inflated the economy gets. I'd definitely recommend using this way. I'm not sure how you'd want to convert it... The simple way would be to just use Vault, so prestige points -> money. But, it'd be nice to see other options, such as items and XP.

Overall, I like the idea. Great way to automate this for PvP servers, and I can see this being successful. :)