CraftBukkit 1.4.5-R0.2 is now available!

Discussion in 'Bukkit News' started by EvilSeph, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

EvilSeph

A new CraftBukkit Beta Build (1.4.5-R0.2) that provides Minecraft 1.4.5 compatibility is now available! Please only use this build if you'd like to help us get a new Recommended Build out and don't mind running a preview build to help us test things. The previous beta is considered broken and will be marked as such on dl.bukkit.org. This beta contains several critical changes and as such updating to this beta is highly recommended.

Will plugins break with this build?
    Provided the developers of the plugins you are using are keeping up with the development of Bukkit, all your plugins should work fine. Unless we specifically have to break plugins or the plugins you are using are employing inappropriate practises, most plugins should work without needing an update whenever we put out a new release.

What is a Beta build?
    A Beta Build is in between a developer build and a Recommended Build. These builds simply work and are promoted much more frequently than a Recommended Build. While we will do some testing before promoting a beta build, we will not be running it through our extensive test process. As such, there are no guarantees that they will not contain minor bugs. If we do find out they are broken, we will mark it as such on DLB and promote a new one. A beta build may contain incomplete API and new features but they should not interfere with running the build in any way.

Notes:
    The release of Minecraft 1.3 introduced built in auto-save functionality that is completely new to Minecraft: prior to this release, server admins had to provide their own means to save things on their server at a set interval. As a result, the vast majority of servers already have an auto-saving mechanism of some sort, rendering the newly provided built in auto-save largely redundant. On top of this, it was also immediately noticeable that the built in auto-save was the cause of a significant performance hit to the server, even going so far as to lock up the server each time it ran.

Bearing this in mind, we decided the best course of action was to make the auto-save interval configurable and default to being disabled. By doing so we immediately saw a noticeable performance increase on servers and noticed overwhelmingly positive feedback on our Beta builds. While some might argue that this could leave servers without frequent saving, this change simply reverts behaviour back to what server admins are familiar with from Minecraft 1.2.5.

As mentioned before, we have made the auto-save interval configurable and disableable within the bukkit.yml. Simply set "ticks-per.autosave" to the number of ticks you want between each save or set it to 0 to disable it completely and use a script or plugin to manage it instead.

Known Issues:
    • Client displays "Unable to locate sign" debug messages under certain circumstances. This is a Minecraft client change that can't be fixed by Bukkit.
    • Monsters, villagers, etc. using portals (added in Minecraft 1.4) has been temporarily disabled.
    For more detailed information on what is contained in this update, please see the changelog here.

Download CraftBukkit 1.4.5-R0.2 here

XxNicuxX, joehot2000, AuzBul and 13 others like this.
  2. Offline

williewillus

If you want your server crashing all over then they can do that....
    Alternatively, you could fork them on GitHub and fix it yourself....

3. Offline

The_Shadow

when are the recommendet build ready?

4. Offline

c0mp

When it's finished. :)

5. Offline

batbat

They have answered this many many times in previous posts. They get the Mojang release at the same time we do. The Bukkit folks are for all intents and purposes a separate organization that is not directly connected to Mojang. So they need time to make the Bukkit builds.

There is no delay announced because they don't give release dates. Something can't be delayed if a date is never announced. Basically, if it isn't out then it isn't done. Sorry to sound harsh but like I said, this has been discussed to death already.

They recommend you use the Recommended build, unless you are okay with experiencing possible bugs and glitches in the Beta. You use it at your own risk, but for the most part the beta build is pretty solid. Again, up to you. I personally use the Beta build and I have no complaints.

Bukkit has also explained that recommended builds are going to become less frequent and Beta builds will be more of the norm.

So weigh your options and decide what you want to use. Regardless what you choose you should always make backups so you can go back if you need to.

gomeow likes this.
  6. Offline

mouffles

Great job, thank you.

7. Offline

notpennysboat

Excellent I've had no bugs, works perfect would definitely put this on a recommended build :)

Praqoon likes this.
  8. Offline

4am

@begerkiller was tearing his hair out trying to figure out what was wrong with SignLink. I wonder if he yet knows it's a client-side issue...

Are Command Blocks disabled? I have mine set to on in server.properties, but when I place one it still disappears. (I take it they're not really working smoothly yet)

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
  9. Offline

TnT

No, they work.

10. Offline

b4rtj4h

Very nice bukkit team :). Love the quick work you do! It's like thanksgiving all over again :)

11. Offline

kerk12

Nice and really fast too :D. Are the command blocks enabled in this one?

12. Offline

fashizzles

Good work team. Glad to see your updating speed is so high! :)

You allow command blocks in your server.properties file.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
  13. Offline

jayfella

Just saying a thank you to the developers for a great job. I'm a c# developer at heart, but decided to give java a go since they are literally brother and sister, and have to say that the bukkit API is a delight to work with. I've spent that last week or so writing a plugin similar to towny, and found it to be very simple, uncomplicated and self-untuitive. God know's some API's are like eating soup with a fork.

Anyway. Just thought i'd stop to say thanks :) <3

14. Offline

Mayor_Mike

Higher the version, better the Bukkit :D

Praqoon likes this.
  15. Offline

systemsalli

My thanks to the Bukkit team for staying the course with your unwavering pursuit of a better Bukkit for the good of all Minecraft mankind.

You guyz are the best!

s.s

16. Offline

Gtwy

Yes, but Mojang and Bukkit do not understand basic release cycles.

The standard software release cycle maintains a stable build while they add new features into alpha builds. After they have added the new features and changes, the alpha build becomes a beta build where it continues to be cleaned up for flaws. There are never features added to a beta build. Then, after it is deemed stable, it is released, replacing the previous stable edition. Throughout this entire process, the developers are actually simultaneously maintaining at least two software trees: 1). the last stable build and 2). the current development/alpha/beta build.

Even after hiring "programmers", Mojang does not do this and instead just dumps everyone from the last stable release to an unstable development build. The bugs during the transition to 1.4 in the release builds should have never happened and would never have happened if they had a real release cycle like every other software company on planet Earth. "Just tell people not to update" is a huge cop out as well. Unless a user has specifically chosen to participate in betas or alpha builds, they shouldn't even see an option to update from a stable build to an unstable build. The transition from 1.3.2 to 1.4.x was like going from a stable release to an alpha release.

The reason I posted, "I thought betas were stable," is because TNT vehemently professed to me on the last build that beta builds are stable. Here's a couple quotes from him (links to full conversation below):

Having stability != being stable. It's insane that no one understands this.

The release of 1.4.5 r2 within hours of TNT telling me how stable beta builds are really drove my point home, which is why I came on here and made that comment. Beta builds should never be considered stable.

I'll link this again http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle and hope that it eventually gets through to everyone involved in the disaster known as Mojang.

PS - Just because something is free doesn't mean I can't complain about it. If I didn't care, I wouldn't complain. I'm hoping that things change so that I can continue to maintain a Minecraft server. There are already millions of open source projects that abide by the standard release cycle. If there wasn't a standard release cycle, things such as linux would be an unstable pile of garbage.

17. Offline

TnT

Gtwy
    More people understand the term Beta than anything else we could come up with to name our releases that are not API complete, yet keeping the name succinct.

No software is completely bug free. Every piece of software available can be considered "Not stable" as it all has some bug or two in it. This includes Microsoft's, Apple's, Google's, and every single other company that makes software. The only software that is complete is software that stops getting worked on.

1.4.5-R0.2 was released so server admins would have a stable build to update to that fixed a rather significant flaw with spawn eggs. Feel free to not use them, or wait for Recommended Builds, but my point still stands that Beta's are as safe and stable to use as any initial RB's have been in the past.

Anyway, this is offtopic enough for this thread. This thread isn't about Mojang's release cycles, or Bukkit's release cycles. It is about us releasing a new Beta build for the community. Start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing it.

18. Offline

KOSDFF

I wish you guys would concentrate on making a recommended build for 1.4.2 and then move on to making RBS for the later releases. Bukkit has been unusable with 1.4 since it came out. Focus guys on the main goal - being a server that can run on 1.4 regradless of the version.

19. Offline

c0mp

What would be the point of continuing to work on a version of CraftBukkit that's already behind the times?

20. Offline

Jetbirdy

Although you can still use the 1.4.4 bukkit to play with 1.4.5, its better that one made for 1.4.5 has come out!

21. Offline

Praqoon

I've been using CB 1.4.x since the first beta build was released and found it to be very stable and very playable. Only problems I've had has been with plugin compatibility and those were solved when the plugins were updated.

Why is it better? We have something that currently works and it certainly works very well indeed for me. Numbers mean nothing, if that's what you're referring to by saying "it's better that one made for 1.4.5 has come out!".

22. Offline

irokoi32

Thank you Batbat,
    I know that point has been already discuss alot before, but I didn't know where to look.

I thought Bukkit Team joined Mojang and work together to include bukkit directly inside Minecraft releases. But I understand that take time to test and provide a RB.

I guess I should try to use Beta Build.

Thank you again for your advices.

23. Offline

KevinEssence

Great work, still waiting for the recommended build although.

24. Offline

4am

O rly...

Research is needed. Probably a plugin on my end but I will get back to you if something else is up (and of course put up on JIRA and discuss on IRC :D )

25. Offline

TnT

Make a post in Bukkit Help. It could be the plugin you are using is not compatible.

26. Offline

fashizzles

I'm running Bukkit beta builds, and have no problems with them. I see no issue with beta builds, they run for me like they are RB. So, I'm not understanding this whole issue with running beta builds. The Bukkit Plugin developers seem to be keeping up with their plugins.

27. Offline

pyrophorous

Running 1.4.5-R0.3 (Build #02494). Using quite a lot of plugins on it. Running very smooth.

Plugins (19): WorldEdit, Pail, CommandBook, AuthDB, CraftBukkitUpToDate, Vault, PermissionsEx, Modifyworld, Multiverse-Core, LWC, mcMMO, WorldGuard, PreciousStones, ChatManager, Multiverse-Portals, Multiverse-Inventories, CommandHelper, RPG-NPC, BOSEconomy.

I don't use wrappers. One thing you can do to lower your CPU usage is to ensure that your not letting Windows OS select javaw.exe as the VM to run the server or client. when launching either, point directly to java.exe.

Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    SET BINDIR=%~dp0
    CD /D "%BINDIR%"
    "%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -version
    timeout/nobreak 3 >NUL
    "%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -d64 -Xincgc -Xmx2048M -jar %~dp0craftbukkit.jar

Mod Edit (c0mp): Removed link to Dev build, we don't link to those from the forum.

28. Offline

fashizzles

I'm actually running 30 plugins, and having no issues. Haha.

Praqoon likes this.
  29. Offline

wiseguy12851

I'm not sure where to post bugs or glitches but I cam across a minor bug that I'm not sure is a cause from Bukkit or just Minecrafft itself but I haven't noticed it in Single Player Mode and it was also a bit humorous, it seemed that the squid movement action didn't stay within the boundaries of the water when far enough away from player, when the player got close the squid would re-appear within the water.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post it, let me know where a better place is and thanks for the new update, always love Bukkit ^_^.

2012-11-25_21.34.05.png

kittenchunks and Praqoon like this.
  30. Offline

EpicTrance

I'm actually running 20 worlds and 90 plugins and i have no issues. And before you ask why. My server is a multi focus server.

31. Offline

jayfella

20 worlds and 90 plugins? how on earth can a single thread deal with that :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.