Eclipse can't link Javadocs anymore

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by turelis, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

turelis

Hey fellow Minecraftinutties!

So about a month ago I woke up to continue work on my plugin when I realized something absolutely bizarre. My Javadoc referencing had stopped working and I couldnt get the window to come up with the brief explaination of the class / function I was calling.

I've checked the settings, its still referencing correctly,

Package: craftbukkit-1.2.5-R1.0.jar which is linked to https://jd.bukkit.orb/apidocs/even when validating it appears to detect a index.html and everything else. So I'm not sure why suddenly its stopped working.

Rather annoying having to go do the Doxygen every time I want to know about a single function.

Any help here guys?

2. Offline

CorrieKay

Bumping, Interestingly enough, the same thing happened to me :confused:

3. Offline

ZephireNZ

Same thing with me. Would be great if this could be looked at asap...

4. Offline

Tempelchat

Same problem here. Sometimes imformation appears, sometimes not.
    I thought at first it was a bukkit doc releated issue but I think I have the same problem with the javadoc either (at least I think all methods are documented there)...

5. Offline

the_merciless

Try hovering over a word and hitting ctrl+space , u may need to do it a couple of times. Worked for me.

6. Offline

turelis

No, this is not an issue with the box not coming up, but an issue with the actual Javadoc not coming through, I can tell this because Java and all other info is coming up, just not hte docs for Bukkit's functions.

7. Offline

Sagacious_Zed Bukkit Docs

This is most likely something caused by eclipse cannot parse the new JavaDoc style. However, I have not been able to find any documentation of this anywhere else. My workaround is to have the Bukkit souce code in your eclipse workspace.

8. Offline

turelis

Nothing has helped, I've looked everywhere, and I can't seem to get a hold of them on the IRC to find out any more information either.

9. Offline

Acrobot

Eclipse, IntelliJ and probably NetBeans all can't handle the new Javadoc 1.7, which Bukkit uses...

10. Offline

CorrieKay

interesting. maybe we just have to wait for an update for eclipse.. *crosses fingers!*

11. Offline

turelis

Actually it would be nice if Bukkit could make a secondary site for the old Javadocs for us to use for the time being, How do I fire a simple email through to the bukkit support team?

12. Offline

CorrieKay

http://forums.bukkit.org/XenStaff/
    looks like the bukkit team is listed there a little ways down, you can probably message them through the forums

13. Offline

Komak57

Indeed i've noticed this problem with Bukkit plugins, and oddly enough with BeanShell lib to boot. Definitely seems like an Eclipse issue to me >_> Really weird that it would be working for so long and just stop out of nowhere >_<

14. Offline

md_5

Sorry for any inconvenience caused, a few weeks back jd.bukkit.org was upgraded to JavaDoc 1.7.
    We are currently looking into ways to resolve this.
    lukegb

ZephireNZ and CorrieKay like this.
  15. Offline

CorrieKay

you guys are awesome :3 thanks!

16. Offline

md_5

17. Offline

lukegb

Please don't tag me to draw my attention here, it doesn't work. I get far too many tags, so I just clear my notifications on here now.

https://bukkit.atlassian.net/browse/SITE-73

I'm looking in to it :)

Fixed! Please try it now, with the same URL.

Testing: place caret on Bukkit API-class, press F2 (Eclipse), Ctrl-Q (IDEA). The JavaDocs should appear!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2016
  18. Offline

turelis

Can confirm this is now working for me, thank you very much you wonderful wizards of Bukkit. May the dream send you great thoughts (Once I finish building it)

19. Offline

nightpool

As a related note, why don't the sources and javadoc get deployed to the bukkit maven repo? Is this a limitation of jenkins?

20. Offline

lukegb

This isn't really what Maven's for, and although some people may do it, most repositories, including Central, do not.

21. Offline

That makes little sense to me, because I know I have pulled javadoc and sources jars form the central repo, unless they are doing some clever redirecting.... Also since, central, is actually made up of several repos as well.

22. Offline

nightpool

Indeed. You can see at http://search.maven.org/#browse|-1582120445 that the core maven repos, at least, have sources and javadocs.

23. Offline

lukegb

Resurrecting this thread.

I've reconsidered my stance on this and javadocs and sources JARs are being generated and archived as of the most recent builds.

Thanks!
    lukegb

24. Offline

turelis

It's funny you should be ressurecting this thread because as of this morning, I can't seem to get a connection with the APIDOCS page anymore, it died?

25. Offline

lukegb

26. Offline

turelis

Ahh, that explains it then, thanks.

Is it possible to host a secondary site for maintenance downtimes? It's a little like trying to construct a nuclear warhead in complete darkness when this happens LOL

27. Offline

The javadoc can be generated with maven from the source code hosted on github. you execute mvn javadoc:javadoc in the root of the repo.

28. Offline

turelis

Does that generate in a form that I can host on a site, and have my jar link to the location of that? or is it the wrong format?

29. Offline

If you require a jar you will need to execute the javadoc:jar goal

30. I just download the Bukkit source code from github and link it to the jar file in eclipse. No need to actually compile these into javadocs, Eclipse manages to do that.
    That way, I am completely independent from net sources and additionally have "Ctrl-Click" linking directly to the source code (which is extremely helpful when working with craftbukkit).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.