Friends Can't Join Server

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by holychez, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

holychez

I have made a server for me and my friends to join and they are unable to join. I have portforwarded and have setup everything correctly and they are still unable to join. what do i do

2. Offline

c0mp

Welcome to the forum! The first thing I would do, in your case, would be to provide some more information. ;)

Check out http://canyouseeme.org/ and ensure that the port is correctly forwarded and is reaching alllll the way to the MC server itself. Also, some information about your network setup would help (network-relationship between your client and the server, and your friend's clients and the server.)

3. Offline

TheFredz

1st try to see if you forwarded your port correctly with http://www.canyouseeme.org/ just type the port your using for minecraft

edit: owell guess C0mp beat me to it

4. Offline

TnT

Fill this out.

5. Offline

holychez

when i do do canuseeme it says
    Error: I could not see your service on 64.30.99.253 on port (25565)
    Reason: No route to host

the thing is i called surewest to do this for me and they said they did

6. Offline

TheFredz

If you use windows make sure you foward the port in the windows firewall as well. Go to the control panel / firewall / advance setting and create new rules for port 25565. I created rules for inbound and outbound for both udp/tcp and fixed it for me

7. Offline

holychez

i use a mac btw

8. Offline

TheFredz

do you use a router?

9. Offline

holychez

10. Offline

c0mp

Ah, and this is why I requested network information. It sounds like, according to the above quote, you're using an off-location hosting service from somewhere across the internet? So the server is not running behind the same router that your client system is on?

If that's the case, then canyouseeme.org will not work, as it's probably scanning your home external IP address. You'll need to scan the server's external IP for the port that you've set up the minecraft server to run on. There are port scanning tools available that allow you to specify an IP and port.

11. Offline

TheFredz

you need to make sure to foward your port in both your router and your firewall.

this website will show you forward your port in your router. just select your model in the list.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

as for your firewall i can't really help because im not familiar with mac. so maybe you can find info on how to forward the port in you firewall on google.

took me a while to figure this out too as well at first but once i got it to show as open on http://www.canyouseeme.org/ people could join my server

12. Offline

holychez

The thing is when i try to do the port forwarding myself it asks for a username and password of which i do not know

13. Offline

TheFredz

14. Offline

holychez

I did both and they unfortunatly didnt work

15. Offline

TheFredz

you could check your router website and find out what is the default username/pass and how to reset the router to the factory setting to reset the pass and username to default if no one can remeber it. I know that for linksys its something like holding the reset button for about 30 sec not sure bout your router tho

16. Offline

holychez

o ok thanks ill try that
    --- merged: Jan 27, 2011 5:35 AM ---
    ok i got in and i dont see advanced setup

17. Offline

TheFredz

whats your router brand and model? maybe i can help you figure it out

18. Offline

holychez

comtrend 5361T

19. Offline

TheFredz

20. Offline

holychez

Yes exactly
    --- merged: Jan 27, 2011 6:09 AM ---
    I cant find the Advanced setup option

21. Offline

TheFredz

weird maybe check out the guides for the other models of comtrend router and find one that has the same menu as your ? or maybe post some screen shot?

22. Offline

holychez

ok ill try to post a screenshot
    --- merged: Jan 27, 2011 6:24 AM ---
    The only 3 options on the side are

Device Info
    Diagnostics
    Management

23. Offline

TheFredz

ok whats uder management?

24. Offline

holychez

System Log
    SNMP Agent
    Update Software

25. Offline

TheFredz

and under SNMP?

26. Offline

holychez

nothing

27. Offline

TheFredz

hmmm.. this is weird. Did you ever figured out how to forward your port in your firewall?

28. Offline

holychez

no I dont think I have a firewall up

29. Offline

TheFredz

pretty sure mac has a built in fire wall what OS are you using? Os x?

30. Offline

holychez

i went to my firewall settings and the firewall is turned off

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.