[FUN] Democracy v1.1 - generic all-purpose player vote tracking [1185-1.0.1R2]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by halley, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Offline

halley

Democracy

Want to request sunny weather? Who else likes Doku textures?
    Can we promote NekkidPanda16 to Admin rank?

Let's put it to a vote!

Now in Release status, tested on 1.0.1-R2, on the dev.bukkit.org site.

Bukkit Project Page link: Democracy
    Bukkit Download: Democracy.jar

Democracy in Action

Code:
    Bob:        /propose tournament  at the spleef arena
                /propose tournament  -duration 1h
                /propose tournament  -open

(server)    Proposal 'tournament' (at the spleef arena)
                is open; vote /aye tournament or /nay
                tournament.  Now 1 hour remaining.

Joe:        /vote tournament aye
    Mary:       /nay tournament
    Sam:        /aye tournament

(time passes)

(server)    Proposal 'tournament' passes with 13
                votes (68%).

AdminSue:   /spleef reset
                /enact tournament  may the best dork win

(server)    Proposal 'tournament' has been enacted
                by AdminSue:  may the best dork win.

Code:
    Sam:        /propose free-diamonds -open

(server)    Proposal free-diamonds is open; vote /aye
                free-diamonds or /nay free-diamonds.  Now
                5 minutes remaining.

Mary:       /aye free-diamonds

AdminSue:   /veto free-diamonds  nice try

(server)    Proposal free-diamonds has been VETOED by
                AdminSue:  nice try.

Towns, Ranks, and other Things

This plugin does not have any capability to alter permissions, ranks, group membership, or titles. This plugin cannot give your players free diamonds, no matter how many people vote that it's a good idea.

This plugin is to track the votes, nothing more. Usually, an administrator/moderator/OP is given the democracy.admin.enact permission, and they can decide how to make the vote official. If they vote for a game event, the admin sets up the game event (or vetoes the proposal).

Due to this design, server admins should have no worries about players cheating their way into things they really shouldn't have. It's a way of petitioning the server operators for things... or just for voting for all manner of random ideas.

rakiru and Neutralized like this.
  2. Offline

MonsieurApple

Needs change log
    Please upgrade to latest RB
    Please add categorie(s)

3. Offline

halley

Done. New 1.0 release also tested on RB1337. devBukkit erased the public feature changelog with all the Subversion commit logs... pretty dumb setup.

4. Offline

MonsieurApple

5. Offline

Neutralized

I like, this. And it holds multiple votes.
    Good Job. :)

6. Offline

DekDaru

It could be abused on non white listed servers on the other hand :/

7. Offline

halley

Erm, how? I assume you mean by ballot-stuffing with new player names.

(1) There's a difference between "non-whitelist" and "offline (non-authenticated) mode" servers. No reputable server runs in offline mode, as it's much easier to spoof operators' names. On a non-whitelist server, you could theoretically call up 50 of your griefer friends with paid Minecraft.net accounts to stuff a vote, but that's pretty rare. If you're worried about this, then...

(2) New players don't have to have voting rights granted-- just set your default group to have no vote permission. I like a rank progression that starts off with default "Guest" (no vote permission), and "Citizen" (a voting member of the server). Many servers have "no white list" yet newbies are strictly limited (cannot build, cannot pvp, etc.) until they request a membership rank of some kind.

8. Offline

DekDaru

There are many people with hundreds of hacked accounts that play on non-whitelist servers. They get these accounts from phising and key loggers. Using programs that some idiot developed, they are able to log on multiple accounts really fast, type in a command, then log off before the owner/admins have time to do anything. I don't mean offline mode. :(

9. Offline

Bobdolemite

Hey there I am having some issues getting this mod to work properly on my server. I will get to the info first:

Permissions:
    default / super perms enabled
    (permissions.yml is empty)
    I rely on config files and default settings

Mods Installed

Democracy Version: 1.0 (Tried 0.9 as well same thing)
    Craftbukkit: Version 1339
    Essentials: 2.6.3
    WorldGuard: 5.3
    Worldedit: 4.7
    Recipe Manager: 1.1b

Democracy Config is STOCK but here it is ne way:

limits:
    open-proposals: 5
    open-proposals-per-player: 1
    enabled: true
    default:
    duration: 15m
    minimum: 5
    secrecy: false
    backends:
    file:
    file: proposals.data
    backend: file
    basedir: plugins/Democracy
    voting:
    accountable-vetoes: true
    proposing-includes-aye-vote: false
    allow-vetoes: true
    allow-nominating-self: false
    allow-secret-vote: true
    allow-console-enact-veto: true
    allow-public-vote: true
    nominating-includes-aye-vote: true
    allow-change-vote: false

I loaded this mod and after checking the log I can see it loaded properly:

Log:

[INFO] [Democracy] Loading proposals...
    [INFO] [Democracy] Load succeeded.
    [INFO] [Democracy] Found 0 proposals.
    [INFO] [Democracy] Version 1.0 is enabled!

Issue:

When I create a new proposal and then -open it, there is no server message announcing
    the vote and no one including myself is allowed to vote ex:

/propose tournament test
    /propose tournament duration 15m
    /propose tournament -public
    /propose tournament -open

after this has been entered there is no server message at all. If you try to vote
    it says this:

You do not have rights to vote on this (or something like that at least)

The countdown then starts (not visibly in the server though) and when the specified time
    limit is up it sends a message saying that the proposal failed with 0 votes.

Log:
    [INFO] [Democracy] Proposal 'tournament' (duration 15m) takes vote /aye tournament or /nay tournament. Now 15 minutes remaining.
    15 min later
    [INFO] [Democracy] Proposal 'tournament' (duration 5m) has failed for insufficient votes.

I do not currently have any permissions plugins so im not sure what would be
    causing the issue. It seems that the permission to vote is not working and the
    server wide message for when a proposal has been -open(ed) does not show up.

Is this because you tested with CB1337 and I am running CB1339? and if so when can we expect
    a release that is compatible with 1339?

Thanks for making this mod hoping I get to use this soon.

- Bobdolemite

10. Offline

halley

Aha. Thanks for the details, this helped me find the problem with missing announcements. The public announcements should appear in orange, and only go to qualified voters. But I flubbed the "qualified" checks on that announcement.

Uploading Democracy 1.1 now.

11. Offline

Bobdolemite

Woot.. TY! Ill get it setup and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the fast response.

12. Offline

Bobdolemite

Newest version tested and working with bPermissions 1.8.2b . Very useful for organizing events and judging our weekly contests. Thanks for the quick fix!

13. Offline

muzzy996

Not working for me for some reason. I'm using version 1.2 within bukkit release 1337 with bPermissions. Users are given -democracy.vote.* permissions.

Users are able to create proposals and open them with the orange announcement showing up for others. Once open though, nobody is able to vote on any proposals whether theirs or any that others create. Using /tally they're able to see open proposals but that's about it.

14. Offline

halley

muzzy, in PermissionsEx, there's a feature to debug permissions, "/pex toggle debug". When activated, the console gets messages for every hasPermissions check performed. Is there a similar feature in bPermissions that you can use for more info?

Can you explicitly grant democracy.vote.vote to a player (not *), and see whether that helps? The plugin.yml looks to be defining this properly, but it's worth trying.

15. Offline

codename_B

There's no way to do that for SuperPerms - it's another SuperPerms limitation.

16. Offline

shanko

cool! gonna try this :D

17. Offline

Noman_1000

I love this plugin, but there's a few things I would love for this to have.
    1. When the voting period ends, it cannot be cleared unless vetoed. I suggest making it so that there is a "/vote clear" to clear all proposals.
    2. I want to make it so that some users can open a limited amount of proposals at a time whereas a mod can open infinite. Do you think you could add in perms for this feature?
    3. Perhaps tying a vote onto commands would be nice. If a proposal passes it will automatically execute a command or not depending if it passed.

Otherwise, great plugin! I love using it when an issue pops up.

18. Offline

halley

@Noman_1000,

You /enact to clear it out (the messages change depending on whether the vote had successfully reached a conclusion or not). I sure could do /enact all though.

I would support a command-on-pass, but only under the following conditions:

* the proposer has a specific vote-executes-command permission,
    * the command will be executed as if typed BY the proposer (so no /i diamond if you can't normally),
    * the command will be executed only if the proposer is online (or it will be saved for their next login).

I made a maintenance bump now that this has been tested out on Bukkit 1.0.1-R2. No change in the outward functionality yet, but I've started planning the above feature expansions.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2016
  19. Offline

Noman_1000

Ah, I guess I misunderstood the /enact command.

I'd be fine with the commands working like that. Also, you didn't answer my second question.