Inactive [FUN/MECH] ObserverCube v1.5.1 - Explore anywhere with impunity (based on MagicCarpet) [803]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by marinating, May 2, 2011.

1. Offline

marinating

ObserverCube - The Better Way To Travel.
    Version: v1.0

ObserverCube is in many ways a step up from simple flying mechanisms like Magic Carpet
    (which I love and adore). The protection extends to fully encapsulate the user, and a
    handy dandy layer of lightstone protects you from monsters. To prevent glitches involving
    duplicating glass and lightstone, players in Cubes are prevented from coming too close
    to one another. Player are also barred from breaking their Cubes, to deter players from
    sinking deep underground and mining at their leisure without having to set out with
    torches or anything to ward off danger. ObserverCube is meant to be a tool for observation
    and surveying, not cheating at the game. While you can pass through walls completely
    undetected, these features come with power and responsibility not found with simpler plugins.

<font color="rgb(255, 0, 0)">Be warned. Due to the way Minecraft is coded (beyond my control) touching a door, bed, or other non-block placeable item (including crops) will destroy it. Touching a chest will empty the chest of its contents. Touching a sign will remove its text (but not its direction). Again, there is no known fix for this- it has to do with the way the data values are stored. You must add the names of the blocks you wish to avoid in the config file so the Cube will keep you at a safe distance.</font>
    <font color="rgb(255, 0, 0)">Good news: wool colors work now! This is the only block that doesn't seem to lose its "special data" when run over by a Cube.</font>

<font color="rgb(255, 0, 0)"><font color="rgb(0, 0, 0)">
    Show Spoiler

</font></font>

Features:
    * Pass straight through solid objects, which are reconstructed once you leave the area.
    * Prevents players from coming too close to one another in Cubes, so no item duping.

* Permissions: 'oc.cube', 'oc.interact', and 'oc.kickall'
    * Allows for unrestricted movement in 3 dimensions, but will not let you pass through bedrock.
    * Completely command controlled: "/oc" with arguments "on", "off", and "lights".
    * Bonus /kickall command removes all players except the user.
    * Shiva mode destroys everything the cube touches.

More on Permissions:
    'oc.cube' allows players to generate the cube using /oc on and /oc off. Lights are toggled with /oc lights.
    'oc.cube' allows players to break the blocks of the cube and to reach outside of it. Can be used for risk-free mining.
    'oc.kickall' allows the /kickall command for clearing the server of players before closing. Cubes may inadvertently be saved to the world if the server crashes/closes with a player still logged on and with a cube around them, which may become an eyesore later.
    'oc.ignore' allows the /oc ignore command for ignoring protected blocks. (Secret command)
    'oc.shiva' allows the /oc shiva command which destroys all blocks that the cube passes over. (Secret command)

<Edit by Moderator: Redacted mediafire url>

<Edit by Moderator: Redacted mediafire url>

Changelog:
    Version 1.0
    * Release.

Version 1.5
    * Added configuration file
    * Added block protection
    * Added move radius specification (higher number for less lag, lower number for better response)
    * Added 'oc.ignore' and /oc ignore to toggle block protection
    * Added 'oc.shiva' and /oc shiva to destroy blocks that the cube passes over

Version 1.5.1
    * Added 5x5 using /oc 5 (switch back with /oc 3)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2016
    JWhy and Noppoly like this.
  2. Offline

AgentKid

o.o Wow, amazing idea for a plugin, and I can't wait to test it out :D

3. You might want to add special cases when altering the blocks that detect the block type and store temporary information on chests, signs, etc. so you can restore those values as well ;)

Otherwise, sounds like a great idea!

4. Could you give an option somehow (like in a config file) on what types of blocks you can't pass through?

I'd personally feel more okay using this plugin if I could block the chests and signs like bedrock is.

5. Offline

iffa

Very cool. I will test this out soon.

6. Offline

marinating

I have AP testing this week, but I'll try to update it with a config file by Thursday, or Sunday at latest.

7. Offline

iffa

I could not resist. I'm following you.

8. Offline

ryguy222

One thing I notice is it isn't smooth like the magic carpet is. Perhaps a fix for that would be to increase the size of the cube, so you don't run into the sides so easily?

Other then that this is a really cool plugin!

9. Offline

marinating

Hey ry, the reason why it isn't smooth is because I placed a "move requirement" so that it doesn't lag the server by updating every 0.002 seconds. Once I add the configurations file (hopefully in an hour from now) you can change this yourself. Setting it to 0 will make it as smooth as magic carpet.
    Coming soon (much sooner than expected, because I'm suddenly motivated) will be block ignoring for things that can't be replaced like chests and signs.

Updated. Tons of new stuff (a lot of it untested except by me for a couple of minutes), please post if you find bugs.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
  10. Thank you! Keep up the good work.

11. Offline

marinating

Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone. The source (still a bit messy) is up now. This was my first real plugin so don't expect anything incredibly efficient. The main reason why the cube is only 3x3 and doesn't change size (although I may add that feature later) is because I don't know how to write a better way to scan through all of the blocks around the player.

12. Okay, I might just be stupid, but how do you move down when inside of one of these things?

13. Offline

marinating

Press shift, or whatever button you set for sneaking.

14. Offline

Huene

I like this quite a bit, but is it possible to increase the dimensions to 5x5x5 optionally? even set at 0 I'm still running into the edge of the cube before it updates, dedicated server.

15. Offline

kayloe

Can you make it so you don't destroy chests and doors? I thought that's what OC ignore did but apparently not

16. Offline

marinating

/oc ignore makes you able to destroy chests and doors. Turning it off will make you unable to get too close. I'm looking for better ways to avoid breaking items, but that's the temporary solution.
    Hope to add 5x5 and maybe 7x7 soon.

5x5 is working. I don't see a need for 7x7 (exponentially increases the need for processor power) so if you guys really want it, I'll add it, but it isn't worth the time otherwise.
    I may start a more ambitious project soon, but I'll keep this cube updated (not sure how many people actually use it :d)

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
  17. Offline

Huene

That's working much better, thank you

18. Offline

fffizzz

in the video, when you have shiva on and come out of the ground, does it make that glass dome over the hole? i noticed there was a bunch in the area you exited the ground.. was curious about that.

19. Offline

marinating

Nope, those are relics from testing, before they automatically removed themselves from the terrain. I kept them around because they look kind of cool.

20. Offline

marinating

Minor optimizations, expect cleaner and new source code sometime tomorrow(?).

21. Offline

IronPython

nice app works well besides with multi-worlds. when i try to create the cube when i am in another world it says it was created but it does not show. when i teleport to the main world the cube shows up around me. would be cool if this ends up working in all worlds ^.^

22. Offline

marinating

It wasn't designed with multiple worlds in mind, but I'll try to work that out.

23. Offline

fffizzz

One thing like with magic carpet, can you make it so when someone changes worlds and they dont have permissions for this, it deactivates it? Makes going from creative/survival unfair to other users.

24. Offline

marinating

I'm not sure how I could fix that (I might need to add a worlds category to the config file), but if it's possible it'll be done sometime over the weekend.

25. Offline

angus22397

Make an easier way to prevent unwanted users using this.
    8/10 has potential

26. Offline

marinating

How is permissions not an easy way to prevent unwanted users?
    If you don't have permissions it defaults to OP. I'm not sure what the complaint is.

27. Offline

Atticus Craft

Code:
    14:56:35 [SEVERE] Could not pass event PLAYER_MOVE to ObserverCube
    java.lang.NullPointerException
            at com.marinating.WildAmazing.ObserverCube.ObserverCubePlayerListener.on
    PlayerMove(ObserverCubePlayerListener.java:31)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.java.JavaPluginLoader$7.execute(JavaPluginLoader.ja
    va:268)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.RegisteredListener.callEvent(RegisteredListener.jav
    a:59)
            at org.bukkit.plugin.SimplePluginManager.callEvent(SimplePluginManager.j
    ava:289)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:131)
            at net.minecraft.server.Packet10Flying.a(SourceFile:126)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetworkManager.a(NetworkManager.java:196)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetServerHandler.a(NetServerHandler.java:75)
            at net.minecraft.server.NetworkListenThread.a(SourceFile:100)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.h(MinecraftServer.java:372)
            at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:287)
            at net.minecraft.server.ThreadServerApplication.run(SourceFile:394)

Getting this error a lot. Especially when I use the Performance Tweaks plugin:
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mech-performancetweaks-v0-07-disc-usage-minimizer-and-more-740.15827

I get it even when the plugin is disabled, although i'm not exactly sure what causes it yet. When it does occur, it spams the crap out of my server log, filling it up entirely with this error message over and over again.

I'm using default config (only added TORCH to the list). And most recent version, CB 766.

Currently it seems to happen whenever I right click with an object (like a sword or stick)

28. Offline

marinating

Fixed, upload coming in about 5 minutes.

29. Offline

Atticus Craft

I'm assuming the lack of change log modification means it hasn't been uploaded yet?

30. Offline

marinating

Actually it was updated but I didn't put it in the change log because it's such a small revision. :]