[INACTIVE][MECH/FUN] RuneCaster v1.1a- Draw Runes, Cast Spells (Not Runecraft!) [522]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by Hohahihehu, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Offline

Hohahihehu

RuneCaster - Draw Runes, Cast Spells:
    Version: v1.1a
    Author: Hohahihehu

RuneCaster is similar to RuneCraft, but with different runes based off the Futhark alphabet (Viking Runes). For those who don't know what RuneCraft is, you draw a rune on the ground with blocks and activate it by placing torches on it. Depending on the shape of the rune, different effects will occur.

Any/All Feedback is appreciated, as well as bug reports. I want to make this plugin as good as I can, and I need your help to do that!

Features:
    • Draw a rune on the ground and place torches to activate its effect
    • Inscribe runes onto your tools to make them more useful
    • The /runecaster command gives information about different runes
    • Server admin can individually enable/disable runes in the RuneCasterConfig.properties file.
    Changelog:

Version 1.1a (Bugfixes!)
    • Fixed TSLPC error (The Stupidly Long Plugin Constructor.) This was what spammed your consoles on startup.
    • Fixed internal plugin error messages when you tried to search using a rune name spelled in all lowercase.
    • Fixed some minor punctuation things in messages.
    • Added a message to the Eiwaz rune letting people know it's currently broken. I'm stil looking into it!
    Version 1.1 (Suddenly, Update!)

• New Rune: Gyfu
    • New Rune: Reid
    • New Rune: Tyr
    • New Rune: Laguz
    • New Feature: Enchanting - Inscribe runes onto your tools for a variety of helpful effects
    • New Enchant: Laguz on Sword (Refreshes breath while moving underwater)
    • New Feature: List Command - Lists all the different runes currently available. Access with /runecaster list
    • New Feature: Info Command - Gets information about a specific rune, and if it's enabled or not. Access with /runecaster info <runename>
    • Hopefully fixed Dagaz, it should work now
    • A lot of optimization in my code, which doesn't mean much to people running the server
    • Probably broke a lot of stuff.
    Version 1.0 (Another Big Update!)

• New Rune: Hagall
    • New Rune: Eiwaz
    • New Rune: Sol
    • New Rune: Odal
    • Isa Rune Redesigned: Instead of creating a useless ice pyramid, Isa now freezes all water in an area around the rune. The area increases with a permanent rune.
    Known Bugs:

• Eiwaz creates a patch of grass and nothing else. This is some sort of bukkit bug I suppose, and will hopefully fix itself.
    Future Features:

Near Future:
    • A rune which allows one to travel between different worlds, provided you know the name of the world.
    • Admin customizable rune materials.
    • Spell System! Use certain combinations of runes together to activate awesome spells!
    • Several Runes involving mob spawning I couldn't do before
    At some Point:

• Even More Runes!
    • Some way to find out how to draw a rune while ingame
    • A way for admins to individually allow/disallow runes to groups
    Rune Library:

Oss: Pulls the user through space towards the heavens.
    Reid: Sends the user on a journey into the depths of the earth (Liable to get you stuck in rocks)
    Gyfu: Randomly grants a valuable or worthless gift, depending on chance.
    Wynn: Brings a little bit of delicious joy into the world.
    Hagall: Winter's chill descends upon the area around the rune.
    Isa: Channels the power of biting cold to freeze water solid.
    Jeran: Calls upon the fertile land to grant a bountiful harvest.
    Eiwaz: With the power of the earth, grows a tree from the ground.
    Sol: Scorches the earth with the mighty heat of the sun. ***
    Tyr: Fires a sudden barrage of arrows from midair.
    Laguz: Condenses water into a pool and extinguishes nearby fires. **
    Odal: Forms a protective shelter to shield the caster within.
    Dagaz: Call back the sun to drive away the darkness of night.

--Oss---Reid---Gyfu--Wynn--Hagall --Isa---Jeran--Eiwaz---Sol----Tyr---Laguz---Odal--Dagaz
    Runelist.jpg

** Abusable: Disabled by default
    *** DANGEROUS: DISABLED BY DEFAULT

Rune Blocks:

These are the different blocks you can make runes out of:

Temporary:
    Sandstone (24)
    Double Step (43)
    Brick (45)
    Mossy Cobblestone (48)
    Clay (82)
    Netherrack (87)
    Soul Sand (88)

Permanent:
    Lapiz Lazuli Block (22)
    Gold Block (41)
    Obsidian (49)
    Diamond Block (57)
    Glowstone (89)

Illustrated Tutorial:

Below is a brief tutorial on how to use the plugin, with accompanying pictures!

(NOTE: The tutorial is old, Smooth Stone can no longer be used to make runes, and Isa no longer makes a pyramid of ice. The activation premise remains the same.)

Tutorial Inside (open)

1) The first step is to mine out the shape of the rune, like below.

Step1.png

All runes fit inside a 5x7 block boundary, and they can be oriented both North-South and East-West. Vertical Runes will not work, but they may in the future! The rune in the example is Isa. Yes, it's just a 7 block long line.

It is just as easy to build the rune above ground as well, but it'll make step 3 a tiny bit harder.

2) Fill in the shape of the rune with a valid rune making block.

Step2.png

The valid blocks to make a rune can be divided into two categories, Temporary and Permanent.

Temporary:
    Sandstone (24)
    Double Step (43)
    Brick (45)
    Mossy Cobblestone (48)
    Clay (82)
    Netherrack (87)
    Soul Sand (88)

Permanent:
    Lapiz Lazuli Block (22)
    Gold Block (41)
    Obsidian (49)
    Diamond Block (57)
    Glowstone (89)

The blocks in the 5x7 area around the rune cannot be rune making blocks, even if they aren't in the shape of the rune. You couldn't, for example, place a Glowstone rune surrounded by sandstone, the rune wouldn't work.

The blocks in the permanent category are much rarer, and for good reason. With the permanent blocks, you can make runes which you can reliably use over and over. They can burn out though, see below.

3) Place a torch at each corner of the 5x7 area

Step3.png

I used regular torches in the tutorial, but you can also use Redstone Torches as well. Whichever you decide to use, all torches need to be the same type. The torches will be consumed when you use the rune. There are significant benefits to using Redstone Torches over normal torches:
    -Redstone Torches have a 50% to not burn out a temporary rune, normal Torches will always burn it out.
    -Regular Torches have a small chance to burn out a permanent rune, Redstone Torches will never do so.
    When a rune is burned out, all the rune making blocks will turn to cobblestone.

4) Place down a torch in the center to activate the rune!

Step4.png

The torch you place in the center has to match the torches at the corners. Each rune will have its own individual effect.

The Isa rune I used creates that pyramid of ice seen there, but other runes could do more useful things. The torches were consumed in the rune making process, and as you can see, the smooth stone (reminder: no longer valid rune making block) of the rune burnt out and turned into cobblestone. To use the rune again, I would have to mine out the cobblestone and rebuild it.

Permissions Tutorial:

Permissions Tutorial Inside (open)

When you first run the plugin on your server, a folder called RuneCaster will appear in your server folder. In that folder will be a file. You can edit that file in a text editor like Notepad. There will be lines of text in there, such as
    Code:
    IsaRuneAllowed=true
    Changing true to false will prevent anyone on the server from activating an Isa rune. You can disable all Temporary runes or Permanent runes in the same way.

Enchanter Tutorial:

Enchanter Tutorial Inside (open)

It's very simple to use the enchanter. Just create a rune like normal, and place a torch on each corner. Instead of placing a torch on the center though, right click the center block of the rune with the tool you want to enchant. If you can place the rune you drew on the tool you're holding, then it will enchant it. If not, you will receive a message letting you know it didn't work. Tools have to be at least iron quality to enchant, so wood/stone won't work.

The permissions involved with this are:
    Code:
    EnchantsAllowed=true
    EnchantingSwordsAllowed=true
    EnchantingPickaxesAllowed=true
    EnchantingShovelsAllowed=true
    EnchantingAxesAllowed=true
    EnchantingHoesAllowed=true
    EnchantingBowsAllowed=true

They are all set to true by default. Rune permissions affect enchants, if the Sol rune was disabled, you couldn't enchant your tools with that rune.

If the server crashes or restarts, you will lose any enchants you may have, but you should keep them if you leave the server then rejoin.

Downloads:

Plugin (.jar)
    RuneCaster 1.1a

Source (Though I can't imagine why you'd want to see my newb code)
    RuneCaster Source Code

By the way, as an after note, this plugin was the first thing I've ever coded in java. I didn't even do a Hello world! program, just skipped straight to this :p.

Attached Files:

2. Offline

nachotp

Pretty Cool, Looking forward to this, hope you make a lot of runes

3. Offline

Hohahihehu

The current plan is to have a total of 24 runes at the end, but who knows, I might end up making more as well!

I hope to have at least 1 new rune by the end of the week.

4. Offline

komes

Good work i love it!! Can't wait to get more runes added. If i was a good enough programmer i would have started to make a runecraft like mod for Bukkit. Thanks a lot!!

5. Offline

nachotp

maybe you should add tier to the isa rune to make bigger pyramids

6. Offline

Hohahihehu

UPDATE: v0.1

New Rune Dagaz
    Fixed problem where East-West oriented runes would not burn out.

I plan on making the Isa rune build a bigger pyramid based on what you use to make it. eg: Permanent with redstone torch would make a bigger pyramid than temporary with regular torch. That might not be for a bit though, I want to get a few more runes out first.

7. Offline

NeXuS Strife

Nice plugin but the rune of Dagaz don't work :eek:

( CBukkit 160 )

8. Offline

Hohahihehu

UPDATE: v0.2

New Rune: Wynn
    New Rune: Jeran

Known Bug: Bukkit is eating your cake, and will only spawn a 1 slice cake. Oh noes!

NeXuS, Dagaz is working on my latest build, not sure why it wasn't working for you before.

EDIT: If you have downloaded the 0.2 version, download and update again, I accidentally set some values wrong and the runes were building upside down.
    --- merged: Jan 29, 2011 4:36 AM ---
    UPDATE v0.3

New Rune: Oss

New Feature: Permissions file, allowing admins to individually allow/disallow certain runes.
    New Feature: Runes can only be made out of one valid rune making block at a time.

Known Bug: Bukkit is still eating 7/8ths of your cake. Our crack team of bug-checking code monkeys is looking into this (I'm trying to find out why!).

9. Offline

Chubbychangz

Thats pretty sweet man!!!!

10. Offline

kubalipa

Do i need permission plugin to run it?

11. Offline

Hohahihehu

No, it has an independant permissions system. When you run the plugin for the first time, a folder called RuneCaster will appear in your server's folder. In that folder will be a file which you can edit in a text editor. Changing the values from true to false or vice versa will individually allow/disallow runes.

For example, changing
    Code:
    IsaRuneAllowed=true
    to
    Code:
    IsaRuneAllowed=false
    will prevent anyone from using the Isa rune.
    --- merged: Jan 30, 2011 7:43 AM ---
    UPDATE v1.0

New Rune: Hagall
    New Rune: Eiwaz
    New Rune: Sol
    New Rune: Odal

Isa Rune Changed: The Isa Rune now freezes water around the rune, with the radius increased if it's a permanent rune. Now it's useful!

Known Bug: Bukkit is going to get fat if it continues to eat the 7 slices of cake you deserve!

Note: The Sol rune is disabled by default, since it turns the area around it into a massive firestorm. If you wish to use it, you must turn it on in the RuneCasterConfig.properties file.

12. Offline

kubalipa

i tried it, but i got error when i place block
    SERVERE: Could not pass event BLOCK_PLACED to RuneCaster

13. Offline

Hohahihehu

That's really odd... it's working just fine for me. What version of craftbukkit are you using?

Also, what rune were you trying to place.

It would also help if you posted the screenshot of the error.

14. Offline

person

hay i love ur work but when i tried useing some of the runes (dont know what they are called) like the torchs just disapeard and nothing happend dont know why but yea still nice plugin thanks for it[​IMG]

15. Offline

Hohahihehu

Some runes won't work everywhere. For instance, the fire rune (Sol) won't do much in the middle of the ocean as there's nothing to ignite. Same with the snow rune (Hagall). The Ice rune (Isa) needs nearby water to freeze. The upwards teleportation rune (Oss) won't do anything if you're already on the surface. The day rune (Dagaz) won't do anything noticeable if it's already sunrise. If nothing happened, then chances are nothing happened because it had nothing to do. If it SHOULD have done something, please try to figure out what rune it was so I can look into it! Even the basic shape would help me figure it out.

16. Offline

NeXuS Strife

Now everything work fine for me. :)

17. Offline

inPaiN

whats wrong with these? he says I drew them wrong? Unbenannt.png

18. Offline

goku454545

your torches aren't on the corners of the 5x7 box? and when you fix the corners, your middle will be off so you'll have to move it as well.

19. Offline

Hohahihehu

This is what it should be looking like:

Dagaztorches.jpg Hagalltorches.jpg Odaltorches.jpg

Where Black is a rune block, white is a non rune block, light red is a non-rune block with a torch on top and dark red is a rune block with a torch on top.

Also guys, I have an awesome new feature in the works. It would let you enchant your tools with runes to get awesome effects. For example, enchanting a sword with Sol would let you set monsters on fire with your attacks. Keep watching for updates!

20. Offline

cretom

very nice free-console plugin!

it doesn't crash balances and
    makes me do somthing for fun!

-_-)b
    --- merged: Feb 3, 2011 6:29 PM ---
    it would be good
    if i can enchant magic to "stick" by put it in the center of rune

21. Offline

Hohahihehu

Glad to hear that you like it! It's also good to hear that it doesn't crash. Very good to hear.

I'm not sure what you mean by enchanting magic to "stick" Do you mean to the item stick? I don't think I'll do that, because 1) sticks are really really easy to get and 2) I don't want it to conflict with plugins like iStick.

22. Offline

Kezia

This is awesome, very creative. Try making other (more useful) runes though.

23. Offline

Hohahihehu

I think that a lot of the runes I've made are extremely useful, such as Dagaz (makes it day) and Oss (teleports you upwards to the nearest air pocket). I'm going to add a counterpart to Oss which lets you go down as well, allowing for runic elevators. The enchanting system will allow for more utility as well, letting you bring your runes with you, so to speak. Not all the runes are meant to be useful though, a lot of them are just meant to be fun.

24. Offline

xngen

What exactly is a runeblock? In the description it just says smooth stone can not be used. Does that mean any other block can be used? There's nothing hinting on the type of block used for runes in the config either.

25. Offline

Hohahihehu

The valid rune blocks can be found inside the tutorial body itself. But since that may be a bit hard to find, I'll add the list to the main post apart from the tutorial. You can only use 1 type of rune block at a time inside the 5x7 area, or it usually won't work properly.

26. Dagaz is brokeded as of the latest CraftBukkit build. I guess all time controllers are.

27. Offline

Hohahihehu

Lots of stuff is broken as of recent CraftBukkit build. Try reverting to an older version to make Dagaz work again. I'm sorry to hear that it's brokeded though, that was always one of my more helpful runes. It should be fixed soon enough though, and when I find out the change I need to make so it works again, I will do so.

On another note, I've added one more rune already since 1.0, and I plan to add another tonight. The enchanting system is 50% done, and I've made the code a lot more efficient (though that means nothing unless you were looking at the source code and saw how inefficient it was.)

28. How's the work coming? Also you might wanna look at the newest General plugin on how to fix Dagaz.

29. Offline

Hohahihehu

Just finishing up the enchanter part, it should be out in the next few days. I'll take a look at General, but Dagaz is working for me :S
    --- merged: Feb 7, 2011 7:16 PM ---
    Update: With the introduction of the multi-world system, I will create a rune which lets you travel to any other worlds (provided you know the correct name). That way, for RP servers, you could have a way to travel between worlds not reliant on /commands, which are rather jarring for that purpose. I'm not an RPer myself, but I can obviously see that RP servers would need something like that if they're interested in having multi-world servers. I don't think there are many other plugins with an interface which could work so well for this, so I might as well add it to mine.

This will come after the enchanter update. BTW, the enchanter update will contain 3 new runes: Tyr (Arrow)/Laguz(Water)/Reid(Journey, think reverse Oss)

Any ideas you guys have about possible enchants, I'd love to hear them. The ideas I'm working on right now are (Note, they may not all be in the initial release):
    Wynn + Sword : Letting you heal slightly by right-clicking with sword
    Tyr + Sword : Lets you shoot an arrow from your sword (Bow-Sword!)
    Laguz + Sword : Lets you breathe longer underwater while holding the sword.
    Jeran + Hoe : Automatically plants seeds on any sword you till.

30. Offline

passerby56

Could you make a way to enchant a bow with Sol to always shoot flaming arrows? Even though flaming arrows don't do anything I like the way they look and hate that I can never see what I am shooting at behind a wall of lava. Or enchant a sword with laguz, so you can right click to put out fire or lava within a small radius.