Group-colored Player Nametags

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Adam Shefki, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Offline

Adam Shefki

Pretty simply - I'm looking for a way to set the color of the nametag that shows up over a player's head based on the group a player is currently in (i.e. admins have a purple nametag over their head).

vobilli likes this.
  2. Offline

Thokas

This would be handy for team games as well. Red vs Blue names in a War arena or Spleef

3. Offline

Adam Shefki

Actually, to take this one step further: Is there also a way of limiting the range at which the nametags might show, or concealing them if you can't see straight to the player? I'm working on a PVP server, and it seems silly that players might be able to identify secret forts underground and the likes if they spot the nametag of someone in it.

Edit: Actually, this plugin seems to do what I've described above. All I really need is the color settings. :D

4. Offline

Edward Hand

Its possible to change the colours of the names above peoples heads but not without them losing their skins

5. Offline

Adam Shefki

Can you elaborate on this, and why? Is it not possible to maybe set the name color change to a delay until after the skin's been loaded onto the player? Or does simply changing the player tag cause the skin to immediately revert to the default?

From what I'm seeing of the Bukkit java files, the setDisplayname function only modifies the name in chat and places defined by plugin, not in game.

6. Offline

Edward Hand

As you seem to have guessed, the client loads the skin based on the name given to the player. Adding a colour tag changes the name of the player, making the client look up a skin that doesnt exist, and so it just uses the default.

Once a player appears, there's no way to change his name. There's no simple way to change peoples names above their head after-the-fact.

Changing the name above peoples heads is a slightly more complex procedure than just using setDisplayName, but as I said it is possible (but there's no way I can see to do it without losing skins in the process).

7. Offline

Adam Shefki

This is probably a silly question, given how things usually work in this game, but...

I take it there's no way to 'spoof' where it pulls skins from, right? Like, I can't do the colored-nametag thing, and then upload the skins for my players to a different webserver and have those used instead? I have to assume that the client just automatically defaults to checking mc.net or what have you for the skins and I can't do anything about that short of modding the client.

8. Offline

mindless728

you would have to mod the client to allow this

9. Offline

Adam Shefki

Just to revive this,

We've tried doing skin-colors to coordinate factions on my PVP server, but it's just not working out when we get someone who games the system or has a skin that doesn't load.

Can anyone actually produce a plugin that simply colors the nametag above a player's head in accordance with their group prefix? I don't care that it'd break skins, at this point.

10. Very interested in !

11. Offline

Afforess

BukkitContrib now supports custom names over heads.