Having trouble connecting to my server (not firewall related!)

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by watusimoto, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

watusimoto

I installed a new Bukkit server tonight on a Centos 6 VPS. My problem is I cannot connect via my Minecraft client.

I'm running the latest version of Bukkit on a Centos 6 VPS. I can ping the server from my home machine, and can connect with telnet on port 25565. I am running Minecraft 1.51 here, which matches the version number of the Bukkit server I downloaded. I have successfully run a vanilla Minecraft server on the server machine before, and had no difficulties connecting. I have not modified any of the config files, so I am running with stock everything. I have rebooted the server to make sure I have a clean state, and have verified that the Bukkit server is running. I updated all the packages on the server tonight, so I have the latest of everything. What else? Oh, I tried an earlier version of Bukkit, which made no difference, and have tried connecting from two different machines, both of which can connect to other Minecraft servers, and have connected with this server in the past when I was running the vanilla server. When I look at this server in the client's server list, it has a red X icon and says "no connection/can't reach server".

So that's about all I can think of that might be relevant. Is there anything else I should try to resolve this issue?

2. Offline

wtbhk

I think we are experiencing the same problem. Cannot connect Bukkit which is runnnig on a CentOS 6 server. Bukkit says "[SERVER][Metrics] Connection refused".
    err.jpg
    Help!

3. Offline

watusimoto

~~~PROBLEM RESOLVED~~~

To set up the server, I had followed the instructions here:

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/tutorial-centos-bukkit-installation.56371/

Those instructions have you set up and configure the server to run as the minecraft user. However, for whatever reason, ownership of the bukkit files/folders was retained by root. The server appeared to be running, but was in fact in some sort of stalled state because it could not write to any of the log files. Doing a chown -R minecraft * on the bukkit folder tree resolved the problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.