Hey people! I'd like to learn java

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Nick Foster, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Nick Foster

html5= html it depends on how you use it

2. Offline

IAmSerge

You guys are still using Java?
    C++.

3. Offline

Nick Foster

pfft

4. Offline

IAmSerge

Do we have a problem?

5. Offline

Nick Foster

sure

6. Offline

IAmSerge

That's no fun...

7. Offline

Nick Foster

LOL

8. Offline

IAmSerge

Nothing like a good srs bsns, with a light side of trolling, am I rite? =)

9. Offline

Nick Foster

Lol. Feed me knowledge about java or gtfo.

10. Offline

moonjokes

11. Offline

colony88

Within 24 hours :O I learned java by watching thenewboston tuts one day and the next day I wrote my first bukkit plugin within 10 minutes

12. Offline

MrMag518

If this would help; In Java you'll need to be able to use a decent amount of logic when coding. You'll logically start with something fairly easy, like printing/sending a string (sentence) to a player.
    Like if I would send a message to the player each time he logs into the server, I would use the PlayerJoinEvent. PlayerJoinEvent is a method called everytime a player joins. Inside the PlayerJoinEvent method I would type soemthing similar to 'event.getPlayer().sendMessage("Hello, this string was automatically sent to you because you logged in!")' That will send the message "Hello, this string was automatically sent to you because you logged in!" to the player.
    That's called a helloworld plugin. Helloworld plugins is just to say "hello" to the Java world/language.
    However, there's a little more to do before going into bukkit event methods, for an example the onEnable() and onDisable() methods, and registering events etc..

Everything you need for a simple plugin can be found 'here'.
    In Java you'll need patience and spirit, the spirit to continue learning, even from mistakes.

Please correct me if I've typed anything misleading or wrong, and sorry if the post is a bit disordered.

13. Offline

Nick Foster

this seems so over complicated, i think i may give up

14. Offline

MrMag518

Never give up if you really want something done, but it's your choice.

EDIT: Btw, Java is pretty easy when you first learn the basics.

15. Offline

Nick Foster

Well I just already spent so much time keeping my server afloat it may be hard to do both... I really don’t have the time to put forth to learn another language... I may wait till winter....

16. Offline

colony88

It's not THAT hard, you know. You just need some time to take a look at some plugins and you'll learn it passively.

17. Offline

moonjokes

I said "within" 24 hours. Didn't literally take 24 hours. I had other stuff going on throughout the day.

Nick Foster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.