How does plugins.bukkit.org order search results?

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by Everdras, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Everdras

I'm somewhat frustrated since dev.bukkit.org is basically the only place people look for bukkit plugins, we're stuck with the tools they give us. Specifically, plugins.bukkit.org seems to be terrible at sorting search results and I can't help but feel like it's hurting my plugin's visibility, since it's basically the only place to find bukkit plugins and is the top Google result for "bukkit plugins."

My plugin is MCTowns, and it is a towns plugin, so I'll assume most people who will find it organically through searching will just search for "town" or "towns"

I'll demonstrate the problem:

1. Navigate to plugins.bukkit.org
    2. Search for "towns"
    3. Now scroll down the list. Scroll to the second page, which is where MCTowns is (for me, anyway). Now, notice the plugins that are sorted higher than it.

My main issues are that not only are plugins with fewer total downloads and less relevancy (some down't even mention the word "town" but once) sorted above mine, but plugins that have no files, plugins that are inactive, and plugins with objectively minuscule numbers of lifetime and latest-file downloads are all sorted above mine. Heck, "Towns" is 5/7ths of my plugin's name.

Is there any way to fix this at all?

2. Offline

afistofirony

Just took a look - yeah, there doesn't seem to be any particular order that I can see. :confused:

3. Offline

TnT

http://plugins.bukkit.org has had a minor improvement lately that should resolve some of your concerns. Please keep this feedback coming. :)

hawkfalcon likes this.
  4. Offline

TnT

Cupcakes69
    We will check into that. Not sure why it is not currently showing up.

Cupcakes69 likes this.

5. Thank you :)

6. Offline

ZachBora

Everdras Well this is interesting. If I search for "plot", your plugin comes before mine (PlotMe) and is on the first page.

7. Offline

Everdras

8. Offline

!Phoenix!

Ranking plugins better only because of their name is not bad, but on the other side there are plugins with more abstract / imaginative names which could really suffer if the name is rated too high.

However, it really would be nice if inactive plugins would be geyed out + ranked down.

Ranking plugins by the number of their downloads would be horrible for newcomers.

9. Offline

lukegb

I hear you.

I've implemented a few minor frontend changes and a rather large overhaul of the backend to allow me to tweak various knobs. We're working on tweaking the scoring algorithm which determines how results are ordered.

Can you please take a look at the search results presented by http://plugins.bukkit.org/beta/ and let me know what you think?

Thanks!

10. Offline

JOPHESTUS

I searched "joph" on the /beta and it came up with nothing. I had to type the full plugin name for it to show

11. Offline

Everdras

That looks loads better! Got any sort of ETA on when this might be live?

12. Offline

lukegb

"When it's done."

Got a few things I need to tweak (like JOPHESTUS's complaint above!) before this can go live. I'd rather make search better than worse.

On that note: JOPHESTUS - please recheck the results. This should be fixed.

Everdras can you please check to make sure I haven't broken anything?

13. Offline

JOPHESTUS

lukegb
    Mostly works, I've got 4 plugins with "JOPH" in them (awesome name ikr) and only 3 show

PS - Keep up the great work!

14. Offline

lukegb

That last one (JOPHPromote?) won't show up unless you hit "Show inactive plugins" - it's considered inactive because it hasn't been updated in a while.

15. Offline

JOPHESTUS

ahh, that explains that then :)

16. Offline

!Phoenix!

This post is about the 'beta' page only.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notice that my plugin TimeFold received its last update on Oct 21, 2012 - because there was no need to update it since then. Its most recent file is tagged for Minecraft 1.3.2 - 1.5.2 (current).
    Now it's only listed when including inactive plugins. Additionally it appears on the 4'th page when searching for the exact plugin title "TimeFold".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you use the search bar and hit enter it will have no effect if some search suggestions are already loaded / displayed. This should be fixed.

Personal opinion: The text displayed under the plugin's names should be the "one line summary", which can be set on the "edit project" page, or something similar. This is because the first few lines on the main page can be more something like an 'appetizer' than an informative summary - See also my plugin TimeFold linked above.
    But notice that this "one line summary" I mentioned seems to be removed every now and then. I set it multiple times for both of my plugins, RegionForSale and TimeFold, and the field was always blank again after some time. Therefore it might be good to create another field for this. If this field is blank the first few lines of the main page are used.

17. Offline

lukegb

Huh? http://plugins.bukkit.org/beta/?q=TimeFold works fine for me, and that's not even set as "include inactive".

Known issue, on my todo list.

Don't have access to this. Might make a separate updatable field but it wouldn't be updatable on BukkitDev, but that'll be a whole world of pain.

18. Offline

!Phoenix!

Uh, I'm sorry, I was searching for "timefold" (lower case). That is what created this problem for me. http://plugins.bukkit.org/beta/?q=timefold
    So I would say the problem is still recent.

Too bad. But keep it in mind. At least I would like it. :)
    (Can't you get those fields like the 'BukGet' API does?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe create a "Minecraft version" filter?

19. Offline

lukegb

BukGet doesn't get the one-line summary. As you pointed out, it's repeatedly cleared by the system, so it doesn't matter anyway.

20. Offline

ZachBora

lukegb I already fell in love with the beta. Searching for plot shows PlotMe first :D

21. Offline

!Phoenix!

lukegb
    Okay, maybe you can still put something together with the BukkitDev team, but I think it's not the most important thing right now.

ZachBora
    Well, on the other side you will not find RegionForSale at all for example (searching for 'plot'). So I could still complain. But I have to admit that the word 'plots' is only used once on the main page, so I guess it's okay. Additionally it is ranked very well when searching for 'region'. I bet it's really not that easy to make everyone happy. Good luck lukegb and thanks for your work^^
    PS: I don't want to appeal against your plugin's ranking, only discussing, don't worry ;)

@ Everyone:
    Notice that we are arguing for our own plugins just because they serve very well as examples. The others should benefit from this as well :D

- - - - - - -

What about keywords one could set? Should be the same issue as a one-line-summary for the search preview..

22. Offline

themadman300

lukegb
    A suggestion which might help. Some people don't bother use search filters so maybe if there is 0 results it automatically shows inactive ones. e.g. You are searching for madmansHorseKiller and it's inactive but nobody else used that. It would look for inactive ones.

Also, if multiple args e.g. Madmans Awesome Permissions and there is a plugin called Madmans Permissions or Awesome Permissions or Madmans Awesome it will show those results. Using popular arguments out of a search query.

Just two ideas.

@!Pheonix! Like the idea but this would have to be reviewed as well in plugin approval, also a limit of tags so we don't get another YouTube 25 line tag list. I know some that are the worst for this. So searching is based off name/url/tags but not the post, also a limit of tags. Once again, a suggestion.

23. Offline

!Phoenix!

themadman300
    About the tag/keyqord review: Yes, I've thought the same. If keywords are added and used by the search engine there has to be some kind of administration to avoid keyword-spamming (-> as you said, youtube). But it would result in even more work for the BukkitDev team, especially because they have to consider if the keywords match the plugin / description. So I don't think it's going to happen. But it could really improve the search results.
    If I would do it it would look like this: A limited amount of keywords (maybe 18), can only be changed once a week, skimmed by team members (no detailed check), abusing the function will have consequences.

24. Offline

lukegb

I think I've addressed most people's concerns (outside of the Regions->Plots one).

As for tags, I'm always thinking about ways to improve plugins.bukkit.org and it is something that I'm actively considering.

If you want to change the text that appears below your plugin, well... http://plugins.bukkit.org/?q=bukkitdevtest

Still trying my best to improve search, so I'd love to hear any opinions you have!

!Phoenix! likes this.
  25. Offline

!Phoenix!

Thanks lukegb!

The summary might also be used to search in.
    Keywords would allow to specify the most important search requests that fit the plugin and might not be part of the text on the main page. So I'm glad to hear you didn't reject the idea from the very first moment.

If you need any help let me know, I would volunteer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.