[Idea/Request]-[Edit-New Idea]-A way to get smoothly moving Aircraft working in Bukkit

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Benjaneer, Jun 14, 2011.

?

Would you use this plugin?

1. Yes.

81.1%
  2. No.

8.1%
  3. Possibly.

10.8%
  1. Offline

Benjaneer

[Update]- Had an idea..... Is there anyway to replace the boat model itself clientside?

I could do without little boats.... The client mod would render the boat as a wooden aircraft instead...

The server mod would work sorta like sky pirates mod with invincible flying boats server side... [http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/4134/] ... things like bombs could be made by the server spawning lit tnt under the aircraft/boat... Would This Be more doable? [Update]

Ok so I know a lot of People already use MoveCraft, however it's somewhat laggy and 'chunky' [it can't move smoothly]. So i had this idea... What if we 'built' the aircraft/vehicles out of resource blocks [dropped items] and then attached them to boats or minecarts in the shape of two-seater craft.. the resource blocks would make the wings and shape of the vehicle, i suggest wood. The craft would work similar to this mod [sky pirates]: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/4134/ but with attached resources. The pickup of which would have to be canceled somehow...[EDIT: here's one that does this for admins: http://bit.ly/k3JYf9/] I got this idea because i noticed how smoothly resources moved while using the piston mod. I would really like it if someone could do this...I love the planes mod and wish to have it on my little craftbukkit server. A command could be used to turn boats into aircraft [admin toggleable?] or they could be craftable... maybe the bombs from plane mod could even be emulated by spawning lit tnt under the aircraft when a key is pressed... you would load the aircraft with tnt in a chest like inventory slot and then press a key to drop it. I would foresee this as a popular and fun mod.

Planes Mod:
    http://bit.ly/mjJpQc
    Original
    [​IMG]

Bukkit Version[horrible concept sketch]:
    [​IMG]
    ^the lines represent the outline of resource blocks [sorry had to draw with a mouse]^

Thanks,

Benjaneer=]

Thoughts anyone?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  2. Offline

croxis

It would require a client mod.

3. Offline

Benjaneer

Why? I'm talking about making it out of resources [wood drops] somehow programmed to move...?

And even if it had to be a client mod then we would at least have one compatible with bukkit unlike the origional planes mod.

[edit]-as far as the client mod- it works on regular servers and does not interfere...so all that would be needed would be a server mod that worked with craftbukkit-[/edit]

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

4. Offline

captainawesome7

Lol thats never happening

5. Offline

Benjaneer

I'm sorry you feel that way. Before i posted this i got on the dev irc channel and discussed the idea. It was agreed that it would very possibly work.

Piston mod for example moves them... somehow their must be a position for them registered on the server so you would just make the server change the location of them on the other hand something like signs could be used...or somehow we could come up with a way to make a version of the planes plugin or something similar thats compatible with bukkit, surely there must be some way...?

6. Offline

codename_B

Hmmm, so a constantly trailing - non pickupable BlockEntity beside the boat? possibly.. I'll look into it.

The Angry kat and Benjaneer like this.
  7. Offline

Hafnium

Oh dear god! The lag! The lag!

8. Offline

Benjaneer

Thanks... I don't know if thats the best way to do it...it's just and idea...I'm just looking for a way to get planes in bukkit [not movecraft].... i thought that the sky-pirates plugin would be a good start but a flying boat by itself looks funny... Again thanks! ;)

Yeah might be a problem there... but i don't know about anyone else but i will be using this on a relatively small server... a large server with aircraft would cause problems no matter how you did it unless notch added them in or something...

The lag could also be cut down on by making smaller wings or using a client mod.. I'm unsure of the best way to go but i know i would, and others would, really like to have aircraft in minecraft and use craftbukkit servers..

I got bukkit to ignore not having meta-inf in the craftbukkit.jar and added modloadermp and planes mod files, then started the server and joined from a modded client but that's as far as i've gotten... server and client work but no luck with planes....

9. Offline

nicolb2305

Hope you get this working, me and the rest of my server has been wating for this for a long time.:p

10. Offline

Benjaneer

Thanks, I hope can, or someone else can, I knew i had to have this when i saw the image with the wolf in the backseat and then the yogscast using it in smp, but sadly it wouldn't work with bukkit... We'll fix it somehow...
    Any other devs feel adventurous? codename_b has already offered to look into it, but the more devs the merrier ;)

nicolb2305 likes this.
  11. Offline

nicolb2305

Why aren't anyone writing in the thread?:(

12. Offline

matter123

because no one wants to spend the countless hours to make it work

13. Offline

nicolb2305

14. Offline

Wakko

People seem interested in trying this looking at the other posts.

Benjaneer likes this.
  15. Offline

Simanova

I dont think it requires a client mod.
    e.g a boat is floating on water smooth - why shouldnt it work with a plane in the air?

16. Offline

Benjaneer

Well the boat can be made to fly.... I linked to a mod that does this...but unfortunately there aren't any planes in minecraft so somehow we have to make an aircraft looking vehicle... which means either some very tricky programming or modding the client...like the original planes mod.

Well I am, I'm just new to making plugins/modding with minecraft. I'm willing to learn though and I have a little java experience; I'm just asking for some help at least from people who know what they're doing =)

Yeah Their has been a lot of people asking for aircraft with bukkit so i looked at the airplanes mod and knew bukkit needed it. =P Here's one similar thread: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/request-planes-and-guns.21032/
    I've also Put in a request here that the owner of ItemCraft look into making the original mod ItemCraft compatible here: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/me...cipes-entites-mos-creatures-860.15808/page-70
    But that would require a client mod again; which people are not big on here at Bukkit, I don't blame them though in fact, I agree; buuuut I still think we should make some sort of attempt to get this into Bukkit. :)

17. Offline

nicolb2305

I would have liked to help making this, but I don't know anything about java.:'(

Benjaneer likes this.
  18. Offline

Benjaneer

I'm learning... I only have a little experience... mainly from lejos...
    Internet helps... sometimes...

19. Offline

BR_

I'd like to see this :)
    I'll help programming/testing if I'm needed.

Benjaneer likes this.
  20. Offline

Benjaneer

Please do! :D

21. Offline

fa1len637

I don't see how this could work with your idea.
    Don't dropped items constantly move up and down and rotate?
    Lets say you did make them stop moving the texture on them would repeat alot :/ since the texture becomes smaller if you get what I mean.

22. Offline

bevso

nice idea, i love planes and veichles in single player, i made a video on it :p:

It would be cool if planes moved smoothly online, Movecraft is nice but it looks like blocks are lagging. Smooth movement like in the video would be great, but client side mods are a pain

Benjaneer likes this.
  23. Offline

Hafnium

The lag comes from the fact that you have to continuously update the location of the drops. Minecraft can't handle things like that very well.

24. Offline

Benjaneer

Well that would have to be looked into, i thought of that myself and i'm pretty sure that the rotation is clients side but i have noticed that they only rotate and bounce a lot some of the time. I also think that if they are being rendered into a new position constantly that they will not begin to rotate. But honestly this idea may not be the best way to accomplish the goal, it's just that an idea, The real goal is to get some sort of believable aircraft working with bukkit. Movecraft is nice but veery slow and clunky as well as being made of blocks. It can be very fun but it's limited so i hope we can come up with another solution; even if it means a client-side mod.... Which so far do not work well with Bukkit; at least not my attempts...

You are correct on that one, however i think that it would be doable, maybe if the size of the craft was limited, I have tested large amount of flowing items on my little test server, caused by water flow and the piston mod and its seems to do just fine.:D Another problem would be the wings no rotating properly with the craft so I am now looking into mods and other vehicles of flight; like balloons seen here: http://steam-craft.com/ . I'm no expert but i'm pretty sure there must be a way to get something like this to work with bukkit one way or another. I'm just asking for help; I'm already looking into the bukkit api and playing around with similar plugins/mods but I know there are other people who could do this much better than I...:p I'm trying though; i just need some help....

Thanks Bevso; you do know there is a multiplayer version of that mod right? The only problem is that it seems not to work with bukkit; you can find preinstalled non-bukkit version here: . But unfortunately the mod itself seems to be bukkit incompatible; i think the serverside modloader is the problem but I don't know how to fix that; I've played on bukkit servers with the client mod installed and it's not an issue....:) Just need to get the server side part on Bukkit somehow...

25. Offline

bevso

oh ok, BUT does it require client side mods? i dont mind installing them but some people just dont like to or dont know how :/ and yh hope you like the video, i also made a video on how to install the planes mod :p

26. Offline

Benjaneer

Yeah the video was Good ;) I don't quite think that the cars belong in minecraft but the wooden planes certainly do, they fit in well :). The Multiplayer does require client mods, I beleive the same mod as the normal single player mod; however just use the downloads and intstructions on the video page i posted, I used them and they work great, basically you just replace the .minecraft folder in your application data with a modded one or you would edit the jar file found there, REMEBER TO BACKUP FIRST, don't want to lose your saves, etc. The mod works wonderfully in Smp, just not with Bukit =/

27. Offline

bevso

ah right, ok i hope notch makes it so that a server can make you download files and install them to your jar for you or something like that, like in CS (counter-strike) and games like that, it would make server alot easier for people who dont actually know what to do haha

28. Offline

Benjaneer

Yeah that would be great, But Bukkit still wouldn't work with this mod because the server side of the mod is what doesn't work with bukkit.... the client is easy to get working, the server mod is to but not on craftbukkit servers.... :/

[Update]- Had an idea..... Is there anyway to replace the boat model itself clientside?

I could do without little boats.... The client mod would render the boat as a wooden aircraft instead...

The server mod would work sorta like sky pirates mod with invincible flying boats server side... [http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/4134/] ... things like bombs could be made by the server spawning lit tnt under the aircraft/boat... Would This Be more do-able? -[Update]

29. Offline

bevso

sounds cool :p, bit off topic, but can you take a look at this website for my youtube channel (still under construction) http://mcnh.bbgamer.co.uk/

30. Offline

Benjaneer

umm yeah a lot of topic but it looks nice. Sounds fun. I can't donate and i don't have a skype yet but i do have a decent little server if hamachi is ok... We could use mine it's not doing much at the moment... not a beast but it works.. xp 1 gig ram and 3ghz pent 4... does pretty good. I'll set it up with whatever maps you want and noone else knows how to get on my hamachi network so it should be safe.... =) pm me with the inbox thing.