[INFO] IceGeoIP v1.0 - Easily check players's city/country [1337]

Discussion in 'Inactive/Unsupported Plugins' started by illusion9, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Offline

illusion9

IceGeoIP - A plugin to easily identify the city and country users are logging in from

Version: v1.0

This plugin is designed as an replacement for EssentialsGeoIP - providing IP-based city, region (MaxMind's region definition is a bit strange, so that could mean anything - states, provinces ans so on) and country lookup functionality with zero configuration required

Usage: /geoip <playername>
    Note: Player needs to be online

Features:
    • Automatically downloads MaxMind's GeoLiteCity database - just pop the jar in the plugins folder, zero configuration required
    • Permissions support (defaults to OP only when none found) - icegeoip.geoip (GroupManager tested, should work on Permissions 2.7, 3.0 is untested)
    • Extremely light - checks are done on command execution, unlike EssentialsGeoIP which is doing them on every player login.

Download IceGeoIP v1.0

Source Code is included in the jar, the Maxmind API can be obtained from here

Changelog:
    Version 1.0
    • Releasing IceGeoIP

2. Offline

DraZiLoX

Works nicely!

Code:
    10:24:19 [INFO] Player DraZiLoX comes from:
    10:24:19 [INFO] Helsinki, Southern Finland, Finland

3. Offline

illusion9

Thanks for the heads up! Really appreciate it

4. Offline

RchGrav

Can you add an optional configuration to announce to other players the GeoIP info when someone connects to the server..

I know it defeats the option of it being "lightweight".. but its cool for everyone to see where people are logging in from.

5. Offline

illusion9

That plugin should do exactly what you want :) Mine was designed to skip that small login overhead in mind, but it's pretty simple to implement if requested.

6. Offline

RchGrav

Cool, thx.. that was the one I had before.. but forgot which it was.. so many come and go these days.

7. Offline

i ThRoW sToNeZx

Works really nicely! Just figured out someone lived in the same state as me.

8. Offline

noahwhygodwhy

this is nice, i used to have one, but it wasn't updated, and it was left alone, so i've been looking for a new one.

9. Offline

JohnPulse

Is it possible to blacklist a coutry ou whitelist one with this plugin?

One of my servers I would like to have just people from my coutry, is it possible?

Regards,
    John

10. Offline

illusion9

11. Offline

JohnPulse

Thank you for your indications :)

Regards,
    John

12. Offline

OzoneBuu

Can you please implement the logging in country display thing cause im having trouble using the LoginMessage method.
    That would be great.
    Thanks.

13. Offline

illusion9

Sure, i'll add it to the TODO list for v1.1
    Also, other things planned are: GeoIPTools integration, limiting certain users or the whole server to a specific country, warning if an user logs in from an unexpected country, and geoip on login.
    But I'm on vacation until Tuesday :)

14. That would be awesome because the link to the plugin you gave only bans countries, not whitelist them so only people from my country can join.
    It would be good to allow a few countries in the list too, so we can go by continent, like north america would include usa/canada/mexico for instance. I am thinking this would be better for a pvp server without those guys with delays from the other side of the world.

15. Offline

illusion9

I'll work on the whole continents idea, not sure if it's easily possible without listing all countries. :)

Also, another feature of v1.1 is blocking proxies as far as MaxMind finds them - kids using the nexus client have been using proxies to spam my server and I use this pretty successfully to keep them out.

16. WOW! that is awesome, I think it would take your plugin to a level with purpose.
    I've been using subnet bans when anonymous proxies appear and get good results, but its been 'reactive' and I would really want to be 'proactive', on essentials.geoip (I appreciated essentials as a noobie server admin, but i'm trying to get away from them and hence found this thread).
    I have been trying to do something with information from http://www.countryipblocks.net/proxies/
    I don't know if something like would be useful to this project, as MaxMind API probably takes care of it.
    If you are anywhere near Seattle, WA I would come over with bagged lunches and take out ur trash so you can work on this feature, thx.
    I wouldn't mind listing all countries if the 'continent' thing is too ambitious. Most people find the server on a forum somewhere and if they should be included, they can always request a country to be whitelisted if its left out unintentionally.

17. Offline

illusion9

Yes, I'm most likely implementing a simple countries list, and if it's a whitelist or blacklist.
    I'm noticing spammers are mostly using HotspotShield, and MaxMind is flawless on detecting it. There might be more to do, including a similar implementation of IRC's scanning the user for open proxies method. That might be pushing it though.

Sadly I'm on the other side of the globe :p

18. Offline

Tendonsie

Can you also make a new possibility to set which country you allow, and which not allow.
    Don't want Russia, China etc...

19. Offline

illusion9

Yes, that's what I'm implementing.
    ETA, around a week. It's mostly finished, I'm fixing bugs.

20. I have a test server ready to go with bukkit and about 25 other plugins, its actually waiting for a solution like your plugin before i advertise it. I can pm the pertinent info, its a dedicated box running debian squeeze, using key pairs to connect with PuTTy, winSCP, etc.

21. Offline

illusion9

Thanks, though I do have a server to test. Not sure it's ready for public testing ATM.
    Development is temporarily (for 3-4 days) frozen, due to me being sort of busy in real life. I'll release after that

22. Offline

Buckethead

how does this work with geoip tools

23. Offline

illusion9

The current version does not work wit the geoiptools api

24. Offline

Buckethead

not to press but is that something ur working on. if not is it possible for u to do

25. Offline

illusion9

It has already been implemented in the new version :)

26. Offline

Buckethead

wait i thought u didnt do it yet or u mean u plan to

27. Offline

EnisThenis

Just wondering, has the plugin stopped working since 1.8 or is it incompatible with PermissionsBukkit?

28. Offline

illusion9

It's incompatible with PermissionsBukkit/superperms, but works with minecraft 1.8
    It needs a superperms bridge.
    Really busy around school stuff lately, I have literally no time :(

29. Offline

Buckethead

sooooooooo pex?

30. Offline

illusion9

PEX and bPermissions will work