Memory Leak?

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by SummerForce, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

SummerForce

Recently, my server, after running 5-6 hours, starts to use a huge amount of RAM. In fact, it's using ALL of the allocated memory which is causing the server to be almost unresponsive to commands and such.

There is no error at all, it just suddenly begins to use a huge amount of RAM out of nowhere.
    When it's been restarted however, it stays stable at around 2GB for a while until it kicks in.

I'm wondering if this is a memory leak caused by bukkit or not.

The server is running on
    CPU: 2x Intel Xeon X5620 2.4 GHz
    RAM: 16 GB DDR3

java version "1.6.0_24"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode)

2. Offline

Phinary

Happens to me to with Bukkit 819

3. Offline

ichingpow

I bet you it's that you don't have proper garbage collection. What do you start your server with?

Also get Java 1.7 64bit ;)

4. Offline

Lolmewn

There seems to be no such a high Java version!

5. Offline

SummerForce

I'm running McMyAdmin, which has garbage collection set to default. What type of garbage collection would you suggest?

6. Offline

ichingpow

I use
    Code:
    jjava -server -Xincgc -Xmx2048M -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:ParallelGCThreads=8 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=500 -XX:SurvivorRatio=16 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90 -XX:+UseAdaptiveGCBoundary -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit -Xnoclassgc -XX:UseSSE=3 -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:LargePageSizeInBytes=4m -jar craftbukkit.jar nogui

7. Offline

blunty

so im really stoned as its sunday , can someone explain to me this whole garbage collection thing?
    the issue has come up as my itemcraft server often runs out of heap space for no real reason. its launched from a standard batch file with the standard Xms Xmx line
    can i improve on this?

8. Offline

SummerForce

Thanks a lot! The RAM usage has been stable for the last two hours and haven't noticed much lag since either.

9. Offline

ichingpow

No problem, I knew it was gc :p

10. Offline

SummerForce

Yeah, I thought so as well, but a java programmer that I know said that it wasn't.

11. Offline

ichingpow

Don't forget my launch string is only 2gb, you may want to increase it! Also get Java 1.6, it's worth it :p

12. Offline

SummerForce

Yes I know, already did that. Java 1.7 isn't out yet?

13. Offline

ichingpow

Yeah it's beta for legal reasons because of Oracle having bought Sun. Don't worry it's just as stable as 1.6.

14. Offline

pomo4ka

Hi, you can explain the value of the argument please? And can we use them on Windows? Thank you.

15. Offline

ichingpow

Yes you can, he uses windows, read the op!

They all deal with garbage collection and memory controls except for preferipv4stack.

16. Offline

pomo4ka

That is, these arguments give the server properly collect the garbage? Thank you.

17. Offline

SummerForce

Doesn't seem like the memory leak is fixed, it is now using even MORE memory than I have allocated.
    How is this even possible?

18. Offline

ichingpow

Restart every 6 hours ;)

19. Offline

woodzy

ur kidding right? OPENJDK has a 1.7 im useing it :)

here try this one its what i use and with 20+ players online and like 20 plugins lag whats that again?
    java -d64 -Xshare:auto -jar craft.jar

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.