MineConquer - Group-based economy world... of islands!

Discussion in 'WIP and Development Status' started by dkramer, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

dkramer

[​IMG]

This was requested by TheBorg of the evocraft server. When people warp to the island world, they are given their own protected island chunk with customizable starting items. The code to generate the island world has been greatly optimized, and it took my crappy computer .9 seconds to generate 400+ chunks of it (mainly, there are no populators for you plugin-savvy folk). Money is earned over time based on how many islands you or your group controls (you can only be in one group at a time), and there are two different island types.

Protected:
    These cannot be messed with by other people unless they are in your group and an option in the configuration says so, but it can still be "captured" by other people to give them money over time. New players get one protected chunk. Additional ones will cost more money than unprotected chunks.

Unprotected:
    If another group takes one of these over, it is theirs. Other groups will still have to capture it first before they can modify blocks in it, though.

You may purchase an island chunk or an ocean chunk if you wish, but it has to be a certain distance away from enemies' chunks.

I probably forgot a lot, but this is the general outline.

Maps:
    Maps render completely differently to show ally, enemy, and unused chunks.

Todo:
    A whole lot. Here are a few:
    • a lot of commands for groups
    • buying and maybe selling chunks
    • some sort of good system to go in and out of the island world
    • an ability to start over with a fresh island and inventory
    • etc
    Development Team:
    • Me!

gameswereus, GmK and Theborg like this.
  2. Offline

dralletje

woah! this is cool!!!!

edit:
    if you want somebody in your development team, I would like to!!!

3. Offline

dkramer

Thank you! I would like to be a lone wolf on this one, much obliged though.
    I'm working on custom maps: maps created will act as a minimap (think grand theft auto) by showing the location of nearby friendly, enemy, and unclaimed islands.

Most of the code for a minimap is complete:
    [​IMG]
    Grey are unclaimed islands, red will be enemy islands, the lightblue is your island (I'll have to change its color: it looks like gray), and green will be allied islands. You are the blue square, and you stay in the middle of the map as it gets updated.

Oh, and @sk89q helped me out with the code structure of map manipulation!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2016
  4. Offline

dralletje

that is cool!
    the light blue must be an other color!!
    maybe you can let 'my island' stay at the border of the map when it is out of it, so people know the direction to got to.
    or maybe that can just be done with a compass :/
    please say me if you need someone to test.
    I love this project!

5. Offline

dkramer

Will do! Thanks again.
    Map rendering is kind of slow, so I might eventually do it a different way.

Buried treasure coded, and it has its own configuration for the chance of items spawning in a chest, how much of each item (in a range) spawns, and how many treasure chests should spawn per chunk.

Edit: Also, the map blocks are now hollow squares and your middle dot is smaller, so when you're on an island, you can still see its color.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

6. Offline

dralletje

updates about the project??

7. Offline

dkramer

Nothing too fancy, I've been working on adding commands and handlers for groups.

8. Offline

Humsas

Nice plugin :)

9. Offline

dkramer

Hey thanks! How's coding going for you?

10. Offline

Humsas

@dkramer slowly cause I am only one to test plugin, and I want to implement team balancing and waiting system in the lobby and I need 4+ people to test it. But it moves forward :)

11. Offline

dkramer

@dralletje
    I rewrote a big chunk of the plugin for easier navigation... and because there was a bug I could not solve :D

The re-code has been completed! It went well and everything seems to be working just fine. I have things to do that will hopefully be finished by tomorrow though:
    • Work on the economy system where each group will have their own "account" that moderators/leaders can take from to purchase new chunks
    • chunks giving players money over time
    • the purchasing of the new chunks
    • capturing enemies' chunks

12. Offline

dkramer

• Most economy stuff is figured out: groups have their own bank account named "group-<groupname>".
    • Purchasing chunks works
    • The map stopped working though... it's very odd. I'll have to look into that.
    • Chunks now give money over time to group members
    Todo: capturing enemy chunks

13. Offline

gameswereus

This is an interesting project to say the least :)

14. Offline

dralletje

tell me if there is a beta to test, I love this project!!

15. Offline

dkramer

There will be after I figure out capturing. I think the evocraft guys want to to apply here: http://forum.evocraft.net/index.php?board=32.0

Capturing code is complete, but it's largely untested, and now it's only a matter of when the Evocraft guys can get the Alpha server up.

16. Offline

dkramer

If anyone wants the alpha IP, tell me and I'll message you it!

17. Offline

gameswereus

@dkramer I'd love one!

18. Offline

Dec64

Woud love to get hold of the alpha to test it out.

19. Offline

dkramer

Development is going well. It is nearly time to release it, so when that happens, I'll put up the evocraft IP. It will most likely be ready by the time bukkit updates to the release of minecraft.

20. Offline

Dec64

@dkramer Are you actually releasing the jar file or expecting everyone who wants to enjoy the game log onto evocraft?

21. Offline

dkramer

I made a deal with them to keep the plugin on their server since they came up with the idea, and we would like more player interactions on one server to see how to move forward with it. After a bit, it could be released to the public though.

22. Offline

Kainzo

Islands rock

23. Offline

Theborg

Planning to release today, I'll edit when its up.
    Also great thanks to Dkramer!

Stopped again, saving failed once more.
    Mehh.

24. Offline

GmK

I would love to test this on one of our event servers! Sounds bloody awesome!

:)

25. Offline

Theborg

Dev of this plugin now has really been picked up again by the Evocraft Dev, we are recoding the plugin for SQL saving and more features. The old version if still working on the new bukkit system might be released here for testing(Saving is broken to hell anyway, see it as a trial, as long as you do not restart the server. The survival island on itself + Groups is a system which is incredibly fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.