Not working with Hamachi!

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by WindedDragon, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

WindedDragon

I don't get ant errors when i start the server and I can connect to it fine. When someone else connects to it however they can't get in, it simply says: connecting to server, then times out. I am using hamachi to run the server(due to special circumstances) and have the latest versions of Java and Bukkit.

HELP!

2. Offline

sintri

Neither does much of anything, at any rate, generally if they can ping you, it's a good chance that they can connect to your server. If not you've got some firewall blocking incoming/outgoing connections, in which case you'll need to forward your ports. There's quite probably someone who'd be more enthusiastic about explain the process to forward your ports on your specific setup, but that's the most likely cause of it.

3. Offline

WindedDragon

I have forwarded my ports already, but I would not think that would make much of a difference because I am using Hamachi.

4. Offline

sintri

Hamachi isn't really a cureall for all your lanning problems, there still are issues regarding firewall and security settings that can stop you from hosting properly. At any rate, check to see if they can ping you first.

5. Offline

WindedDragon

I could ping them with no packet loss, but they still could not connect to the server.

6. Offline

TnT

Double check your firewall, you've missed something. Pinging means nothing other than you can see the server - it doesn't mean you'll be able to connect to it.

7. Offline

WindedDragon

Actually, I can ping one person however I can't ping another...one works and one does not?!?

8. Offline

TnT

Means one has allowed ICMP echos, whereas another has not. Still not a good connectivity test. A better test would be to telnet to the port in question. aka
    Code:
    telnet <IP> 25565

9. Offline

WindedDragon

Is telnet a Linux command? Because I am running Windows.

10. Offline

TnT

Nope, its a common command. If you have Vista/7, Microsoft took it out by default (which is stupid if you ask me). Just go into your Programs and Features, add windows components, and add the telnet client.

11. Offline

Andre_9796

In my opinion get a dyndns acc and make for example yourserver.dyndns.org this will automatically redirect users to your external ip if your ports are forwarded. Hamachi is a piece of shit. (are they in your hamachi network? They can only connect if theyre in your network)

12. Offline

sintri

Them pinging to you, not you pinging to them. And yes there are other tunneling programs, but hamachi does work, so not really any reason not to use it.

13. Offline

mughi

hamachi may work, but it is just one more level of complexity, and one more point of failure.. why bother?
    you don't need to tunnel minecraft unless a) you have a really annoying isp or b) you are trying to run an illegal copy

port forwarding isn't that hard.
    1. open your router config page
    2. find the section for apps/games/port forward
    3. add an entry for tcp/udp on port 25565 (or whatever you use)
    4. point it at your server's INTERNAL ip (usually 192.168...)
    5. that's it.
    then you might have to set up a firewall rule:
    add entries for incoming and outgoing, for tcp and upd, for port 25565 (or whatever)

14. Offline

WindedDragon

Yes, they are in my hamachi network and I'm not sure how to setup a dyndns acc.

I have done all these steps and it still does not work. I have to use Hamachi because of my ISP.

It could not connect...

Could having a cable ISP cause this problem? Because I heard somewhere that it's twice as hard to host a server on a cable ISP ie. Rogers.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  15. Offline

DigitalStorm

Start, Run, cmd, ok. Type ipconfig in console window that opens. hit enter. under ip address, it should be something along the lines of 192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x or anything similar, forward ports to that address. portforward.com helps. just skip the ads with the buttons in the top right. Ignore the "application to do it for you" ad. Find your router model, and then find your application, usually Minecraft. Put the ip you received in ipconfig into the top box. Scroll down and follow directions. Easy.

16. Offline

WindedDragon

I have done that thats why I have to use Hamachi. I'm not sure why put my twit of a isp is not allowing me to run this server. They have very tight protocols, I can not play Battlefield: Bad Company 2 in my house because of them.

17. Offline

DigitalStorm

If that is the case, I am more inclined to say you have a firewall blocking the traffic then. ISP's typically block ports 80 so you cannot host a website from home, but don't typically block any other ports related to games and such. If you still think it the ISP, give them a call and see if they can help you out, I wouldn't be surprised that if they are blocking that, then they would move you into a different place that is more lax on the restrictions. But firewall seems more likely the cuplrite. As for the pinging, the problem with ping, is that the people have to be able to ping you for it to mean anything. Doesn't really matter that you can ping them. Hamachi sometimes works for some games, sometimes not. It is really finicky.

18. Offline

sintri

For one, hamachi can bypass some software firewalls, enabling you to see local area games for those people with troublesome computers. Secondly, having a computer recognized as a lan allows you to connect by computer name rather than a lengthy and variable IP address. Thirdly, you don't need hamachi to run illegal software, what is this, 1992? At any rate, there's more to firewalls than your standard built-in router firewall, not to mention the fact that windows these days do come with blockages by default and that certain ISPs do block certain ports.

As for the matter at hand, plenty of stuff that can go wrong, from just plain windows screwing with you, to other software firewalls/internet security, router firewalls, isp restrictions. Just remember long as they can ping you, chances are they can conncet. Doesn't matter if you can ping them less you wanna join their hostings.

19. Offline

WindedDragon

I have disabled all firewalls and the like,and the problem is still happening.

20. Offline

Andre_9796

Something MUST be wrong because it works for us all.

21. Offline

WindedDragon

I can now be pinged, I convinced my ISP to allow traffic. Now it saying failed to bind to port and I'm not sure why?!?

22. Offline

Andre_9796

restart your pc, try again and report.

23. Offline

WindedDragon

Nope i still is not working. it's kinda sad because if the server would bind to port everything would work.

24. Offline

Andre_9796

post server.properties please

25. Offline

WindedDragon

Do you want the .properties or .txt?

It's zip with the .properties file.

Attached Files:

26. Offline

Andre_9796

what did i write?

dont use a port like 81. try 25565 and report here if it works!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

27. Offline

WindedDragon

The problem with that is that people can connect to 80 and 81 but not to anything above that.
    Well nothing above 150 or so.

28. Offline

Andre_9796

then try other ports like 130 and and and till it works

29. Offline

WindedDragon

Why can it not use port 81?

30. Offline

Andre_9796

As tnt said somewhere it isn't recommended to use ports below 4 numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.