PermissionsEx crashes my server when I reload it.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by OTF Catastrophe, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

OTF Catastrophe

Hey I've had this problem since like the beginning of my server and its really starting to bother me because my server is getting more people on it and having to constantly restart the server is really creating an impact. I searched Google and I know for a fact that it is most likely PEX crashing my server when I restart. How I know is I got my friend to put PEX on his server just to test it out and his server crashed as well when it was working perfectly fine with reloads before it. I have my permissions.yml file I can share, can someone please tell me whats wrong and how I can fix this issue? And and just a warning I already know I have tons of perms that were used twice in the same group, and a lot of messed up perms but I'm not sure if that is the problem, who knows..

My Permissions.Yml File: http://pastebin.com/g80NrhJR

Thank you to whoever can help me with my problem! :/

2. Offline

sbmercury

Can I see the crash-report you get when you reload?

3. Offline

OTF Catastrophe

How would I find the crash report?

4. Offline

LHammonds

Technically speaking, it isn't PEX crashing your server. It is your incorrectly formatted permissions.yml file.

Paste the contents of permissions.yml into an Online YAML Parser and fix the errors it complains about until you don't get any more complaints (red letters pointing to line numbers with errors).

Once you have something that does not break YAML parsing, you can then safely put it back into permissions.yml and fully expect your server to load without PEX getting mad.

Keep in mind, the parser will only help you fix the easy syntax / formatting errors. It will not help you with logic errors such as assigning the wrong permissions or not putting "default: true" in the right place for PEX to recognize it.

LHammonds

5. Offline

OTF Catastrophe

I actually did put it under the YAML parsing after looking it up some more, the only problems that came through where I gave owner and admin - *.* perm which is wrong so when i set that to .*. it said it was totally fine, so i copied and pasted the right one into the file, after that i proceeded to go onto my server and reload it, and it didnt work.

6. Offline

sbmercury

If the server is actually crashing then it should create a folder called "crash-reports" if so give me the latest one. If it doesn't give me the latest log file from the logs folder.

7. Offline

OTF Catastrophe

Alright so i checked out the crash-reports folder and the latest one was july 1st so i nkow its not that but i went in the logs folder and went to the laster log and got this for you to check out :D
    Logs: http://pastebin.com/hbj09aZV

8. Offline

LHammonds

If you are talking about copying the right-side of the parser, don't ever copy the OUTPUT. You are only trying to correct the YAML which you pasted into the left side.

9. Offline

OTF Catastrophe

I didnt copy the output i copied the fixed version on the left.

10. Offline

LHammonds

So what does this new permissions.yml file look like that's giving you problems? What exactly does "didn't work" mean? If I were to try and replicate your problem, how would I go about achieving that?

But looking at your log, you got more problems than your permission file.

Code:
    Could not load 'plugins/WGRegionEffects.jar' in folder 'plugins'
    org.bukkit.plugin.UnknownDependencyException: WGCustomFlags
    That means you are trying to use the plugin called WGRegionEffects but you failed to also install the required plugin called WGCustomFlags. It is noted in their documentation. You should read about a plugin and its requirements and configurations before installing it. At least fix whatever problems you have with the plugin you just installed before moving on to other issues.
    You are on Craftbukkit 1.7.9 with PermissionsEx v1.21.4 and the next version up says it fixes world inheritance issues but 1.22 is also a major change in the format of permissions.yml and MySQL schema. The current version is 1.22.1
    LHammonds

11. Offline

OTF Catastrophe

I uninstalled the WGregionEffects because I never put it on there in the first place so I had no clue how that even got on there. The new permissionsEx file looks like this: http://pastebin.com/YTtLaSMq

12. Offline

LHammonds

Ok, that's one part of the puzzle and sure enough, no YAML errors...which means we are now facing logic errors or maybe even bugs.

Now for the part that is essential in helping you find your problem:
    TIP: If I were owner of this server, the 1st thing I would do is clean up your permission nodes. They would be a nightmare for me to maintain. I would use inheritance to reduce the shear amount of nodes being repeated over and over again.

LHammonds

13. Offline

JaguarJo

OTF Catastrophe If you're still on version 1.21.4 then the prefix lines do not go under the options section. They only get moved there once you update to PEX version 1.22 and up. For your version, the prefix: lines should only be indented 4 spaces, the same as the default: true line and the permissions: lines.

14. Offline

OTF Catastrophe

By "Didn't work" I meant it doesnt have any affect. Its the same way as it was before I put it in the YAML parser. And If I knew how it messed up I wouldn't be asking how to fix it. I have no clue how it ended up all messed up. Tons of people have the same problem apparently when I look around google.

15. Offline

LHammonds

Wow. Am I that hard to understand?

If I were to put your permission file on my server, WHAT would you expect me to do in order to get the same problem you are having? By saying "it" doesn't have any affect, you are NOT telling me what "it" is. Are you trying to run a command and it is giving you a permission error or does your server fail to start up? You said there are no recent files in the "crash-reports" folder so the server is not outright crashing. You are not giving me anything I can use to test/validate your problem in order to help you.

If the server just sits there, does it reach a point where you just cannot connect? Please be feel free to be wordy in the steps you are taking, what you see happening and what you expect should happen.

Let me recap what you've said so far:

Wait a second....when you say "reload" are you talking about the command "/pex reload" or are you talking about "/reload" ???

If you are talking about the latter, then yes, you ARE going to have problems. Nobody recommends using /reload. If you need to do that, then you simply need to stop your server and start it back up. The /reload command should be removed completely and I'd suggest adding an alias for /reload to something else such as point it to /help or something.

Recap of the details given so far:

Version of Craftbukkit: 1.7.9-R0.2
    Current Permission file: http://pastebin.com/YTtLaSMq
    Log file as of 2014-07-18: http://pastebin.com/hbj09aZV

Plugins you are running:

AdminChat 1.0
    AutoBroadcast 1.0.0
    BarAPI 3.1
    BKCommonLib 1.58
    Buycraft 6.7
    ChatProtectionPlus 1.0.1
    ChestShop 3.7.15
    Citizens 2.0.13-SNAPSHOT build 1130
    CleanroomGenerator 1.0.0
    ClearLag 2.7.1
    CommandSigns 1.9.3
    DDrugs 1.0
    EchoPet 2.3.3-b408
    EnjinMinecraftPLugin 2.6.7
    Essentials 2.13.1
    EssentialsChat 2.13.1
    EssentialsSpawn 2.13.1
    floAuction 3.0.4
    GAListener 1.3.1
    HeavySpleef 1.5.1
    HolographicDisplays 1.8.4
    ItemStay 1.5.4
    Lift 50
    mcore 7.2.1
    MineResetLite 0.3.6
    MobArena 0.96.6
    Multiverse-Core 2.5-b678
    Multiverse-Inventories 2.5-b335
    Multiverse-Portals 2.5-b699
    OreGenerator 2.0
    PermissionsEx: 1.21.4
    PlayerCountMessage 3.1
    PlotMe 0.13f
    ProtocolLib 3.4.0
    TagAPI 3.0.4
    Timber 1.5
    TimTheEnchanter 3.0
    uSkyBlock 2.0.0
    Vault 1.4.1-b436
    Votifier 1.9
    WhatIsIt 1.3.8
    WickedSkyWars 1.3.1-SNAPSHOT
    WorldEdit 5.6.2
    WorldGuard 5.9

After looking over your plugin list again, I see "mcore 7.2.1" which does nothing on its own but none of the MassiveCraft plugins that require it are installed (Factions, Vampires, Tickets, etc.)

Also noticed a SEVERE message in your log which seems like you have a copy of the same plugin trying to load. Might need to remove the duplicate. (AdminChat.jar vs achat.jar)

LHammonds

16. Offline

OTF Catastrophe

Well you dont have to be fucking rude. I got a new server and I fixed everything on my own. Peace

17. Offline

LHammonds

It was real nice of you to tell us what you did to fix it. I do think I wasted all my time trying to help you and adds to the "why do I bother" feeling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.