Players sometimes fall into void after teleporting

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by matejdro, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

matejdro

When player teleport between worlds (via ServerPort) or just respawn, sometimes destination chunks are not properly loaded. That means that player will fall into the void and eventually die.

Issue started happening after 1.4 update. Before 1.4 player also fell, but he got teleported back to the world when chunk was loaded and he did not take any damage. But now player simply falls and then die.

1. Windows XP SP3
    2. x86
    4. Hamachi
    5. 617
    Code:
    start C:\Progra~1\Java\jdk1.6.0_24\jre\bin\java.exe -server -Xmx512M -Xincgc -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:ParallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -jar craftbukkit.jar

7. LWC, Whitelist, Permissions, AuthMe, ServerPort, MultiInv. Same problem was also happening before MultiInv was installed.
    8. No errors or anything unusual.
    9. I have checked the client location using F3 and it seems that it's really falling into the void (Y is like -13546548488). And even after reconnecting, it will still spawn you into the void.
    - Played with vanilla 1.4 for some time. I did not get any issues, but at the other hand, there is no multi-world teleporting. Although respawning works fine.
    - No plugins situation is as pointless as vanilla. I have not checked yet, but without ServerPort i can't test much.
    - All plugins are updated to their latest versions
    - ServerPort author thinks that problem is not in his plugin.

Any ideas? This is very annoying, since players keep loosing their stuff at teleporting.

2. Offline

Plague

When the server cannot cope with the load it takes too long for it to generate the terrain under teleported player and he falls to his death.

3. Offline

matejdro

Yes, but before 1.4 player got teleported back after chunk was loaded. Now he falls until he starts to take damage and die. It looks like falling before 1.4 was just clientside, but now it's also serverside.

4. Offline

Raphfrk

Well, or the minecraft server itself. I didn't change how teleporting is handled since 1.3 :).

5. Offline

Plague

Falling to my death happened to me on 1.3 too.

6. Offline

matejdro

That's very weird. Before 1.4 i was falling, but i simply waited few seconds for chunk to load. Now i fall into death and loose my stuff :(

And it happens occasionally. Sometimes chunks are unloaded and falling behaviour will be same as 1.3 (small fall and then teleport back).

And when i don't fall into void, destination chunks are loaded noticeably faster than 1.3. It's almost instant, while i had to wait 5+ seconds before.

@Raphfrk ok fixed.

EDIT: also one thing. After someone falls into the void, destination chunk becomes "dead". That means that chunk won't load and nobody could port to that place anymore (everyone will fall to the void). This is fixed by restarting server.

7. Offline

Raphfrk

You mean working again?

Maybe that is in fact the actual problem? The chunk is always "dead".

When you teleport, the server loads the chunk immediately. The reason you fall is due to the delay between the server loading it and it transmitting the chunk to your client.

When you fall, the server keeps sending small packets moving you back to the right location since according to your position packets that your client sends, you have moved through solid rock (and the server cancels those moves).

However, if the server considers the chunk completely empty, then there is no reason to tell your client not to fall.

8. Offline

Kane

I get this a lot on my server also... Could someone just code a real simple teleport up on void or something?

9. Offline

matejdro

No, i just fixed the message about your statement about ServerPort.

Well, it's maybe that problem. But what would make that chunk dead? It works normally most of the time and when it happens, it can be fixed by restarting server. And that did not happen in 1.3, so i guess that notch or bukkit team did something to chunk loading code?

When chunk becomes dead, it's only one dead chunk. When you are falling down and look up, you can see that only your chunk is not loaded, everything around is loaded.

I just fell into the void when respawning near my bed. No serverport involved. We respawned on the same place like 100000 times on the vanilla server with same map and we did not get any issues, so i think that something is wrong with bukkit.

It also appears that chunk is loaded, since one of my friends was on spawn when i died and he could walk around with no problems. Why was not loaded for me?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  10. Offline

Scyfi

this has happened to several people on my server as well. Its very annoying.

11. Offline

SpaceManiac

There has, for a while now, been an issue where in some cases chunks are not loaded properly server-side in time - since the server still thinks they are air, the automatic noclip prevention doesn't kick in, allowing the client to drop into the void. When the chunks are loaded server-side but not client-side, the client attempts to fall but is sent back to "midair" by the noclip prevention. Certain users of my Nether plugin experience this all the time, while everyone else doesn't get it at all.

12. Offline

uncovery

same on my server.

the strange thing:

people can go to the nether without problems. But another parallel world always fails (100%) for normal users, but only once in a while for the admin. All the chunks load except for the one they are actually standing in.

13. Offline

matejdro

It's not purely server side chunk loading. My friends was around 20 blocks away from spawning point while i respawned and fell into the void. I guess that chunk was already loaded since he was here.

14. Offline

SpaceManiac

Yeah - it's very hazy and vague, but it's definitely something wrong with the noclip prevention not kicking in. I talked with Grum on IRC about this a while back and he seemed to insist it didn't exist, so I'm not sure.

15. Offline

uncovery

ok I have updates on this. very interesting I think. I talked to Gum also and he says its a client issue.
    The interesting thing is however that the chunk a player teleports into is destroyed. When the user relogs, the chunk is still gone. Also when the user logs in, the chunk is also gone for OTHER players on he map. So it does not seem like a client side issue to me.

seems this is a recognized bug - finally!

http://leaky.bukkit.org/issues/634#change-2093

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2016
  16. Offline

Vivacity

Just had this exact thing happen on my server; someone died and re-spawned to their home spot but ended up falling into the void and couldn't get out. She kept re-logging and then the chunk disappeared for everyone else. When I got home later I teleported her out and restarted the server which seemed to return everything to normal, the chunk was back with no damage to it I guess.

Something similar to this happening just after 1.4 was released using the normal Minecraft server when someone died while we were playing with the new wolves. Not sure if a chunk disappeared then, I just teleported him out of the void and carried on.

17. Offline

matejdro

Some more information:

1. I have teleported successfully, while friend teleported second after me and started falling. That means that chunk is loaded at the server, since i was standing at the destination, while he was falling.
    2. After he died for the first time, he respawned near bindpoint like he is supposed to. At leas i saw him like that. But he said to me, that he was falling and dieing again. Reconnecting did not help.
    3. After server restart, he respawned inside chunk error (see attachment). But i was still at the top of this chunk and everything was normal to me. I have tried restarting server multiple times, but he just respawned inside chunk error. Reconnecting also did nothing. I have still saw him near bindpoint like he was supposed to be.
    4. I have decided to teleport him manually to me. So i went away from the "broken" chunk and teleported him to me using server console. That finally helped and he could see chunk now without problems.

I hope that helps devs find solution.

Attached Files:

18. Offline

matejdro

This is still an issue in 1.6.6 (it happens on server that i play on - I'm not sure which builds are they using). But now player will either fall into void (like previously) or jump forever on top of the chunk (reconnecting fixes that).

Attached Files:

19. Offline

ichingpow

It should be fixed in 860.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.