Please for the love of god, improve searching.

Discussion in 'BukkitDev Information and Feedback' started by NerdsWBNerds, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

NerdsWBNerds

If you literally type in the name of my plugin 'Easy Warp' my plugin (which is the only plugin with that name with a space) comes up half way down the page. That makes no freaking sense.

(I'm referring to the http://plugins.bukkit.org/ plugin search)

Archarin likes this.
  2. Offline

DSH105

Does it?

[​IMG]

Looks like it's near the top to me. The search function looks for the greatest occurrence of the entered key words in the plugin's description (AFAIK). So having a good description will improve the chance of your plugin being near the top of the list in a search ;). Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

3. Offline

SnipsRevival

NerdsWBNerds Based on the above post by _DSH105_ and my own testing, I am going to have to conclude that you are wrong ;).

_DSH105_ likes this.
  4. Offline

NerdsWBNerds

5. Offline

DSH105

NerdsWBNerds Ah, I will admit that search function does need improvement.

6. Offline

hatstand

Well, it gets it half right. There's the EasyWarp at the top, then an EasyWarn... Then it kinda loses it.

7. Offline

williamhcarlton

I didn't see another thread on support for plugin search. So this is going here.

Is there some way I can search for plugins that match my search terms which are not outdated?

8. Offline

Jade

9. Offline

hatstand

You're aware that's the search he's complaining about, right?

10. Offline

Jade

hatstand Technically, nothing is perfect, and I assumed by the image in the post by _DSH105_, it was dev.bukkit.org being hated.

11. Offline

midnightfang22

You sure?

12. Offline

lukegb

Your latest release file isn't marked as supporting the latest RB version of CraftBukkit.

13. Offline

afistofirony

If this is the reason why the search order can be so random...

that actually makes a surprising amount of sense.

Cirno, Hoolean, tips48 and 3 others like this.
  14. Offline

Gravity

lukegb is my favorite person

Cirno, Hoolean, lol768 and 6 others like this.
  15. Offline

n31ln3t

Vouch for this idea, I don't really like the search too much.

16. Offline

Archarin

17. Offline

Bertware

Levenshtein or some other algorith could calculate the match between title and each of the plugins, whereafter they get ordered, best matches first. I don't know if this is possible though, maybe with caching (and eventually limiting the amount of results) etc you can do this

18. Offline

Hoolean

The JAR file corresponding with the latest build was released 19 hours ago, so if plugins.bukkit.org updates its indexing every 24 hours (I think it's longer) then it may have missed it :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.