Plugin Development - A HUGE tutorial!

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by Adamki11s, Apr 29, 2011.

?

Was this helpful to you?

1. Yes!

78.4%
  2. No, but it was a good tutorial :)

16.1%
  3. No.

5.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
  2. Offline

zimm3rmann

Looking good so far. Cant wait to see it completed

3. Offline

nickguletskii

Samkio likes this.
  4. Why so bad? I'm just linking people to a place where they can learn

5. Offline

nickguletskii

I really hate the style. Moreover, programming tutorials are supposed to be in written form, preferably electronic so you can copy and paste.

Tgwizman likes this.
  6. @nickguletskii
    Well I only posted that for the people who are just starting out, most people looking to develop plugins have a basic understanding of Java and while I have the time to make a detailed plugin making tutorial, I don't have the time to teach the Java Language. If you could provide some other links I'd be happy to use them.

EDIT : Posted more tutorial Links :

7. Offline

nickguletskii

Thanks.

8. Offline

tekac

And I stopped reading right there. Keyword. "I" really hate that style. That is your preference, not others. If you're just copying and pasting you're not really nailing down what you're learning. You can learn a ton from someone actually talking to you, as well as if you were to just read. Both ways are viable.

If you actually write down the code, you're reinforcing it into memory as you are typing it. Rather than copy paste, boom results. ohh yay...

This guy has gone out of his way to create what has a LOT of potential. I'm loving this tutorial. Keep up the good work. Don't let haters ruin it.

Benlewis9000, Pim1234 and EarlyLegend like this.
  9. Thanks :D

I added more written and video tutorials anyway. I'm just writing up the next section on saving and loading from files etc..

10. Offline

nickguletskii

Did I state that it shouldn't be there? No. Your argument is invalid.

11. Offline

kmccmk9

Wow that is an awesome tutorial. Thanks so much!

12. Added File Handling. Loading, Saving, Reading & Writing!

13. Offline

MadMonkeyCo

Why do you cast the playerListener to a Listener? There is no reason to do so...

14. Offline

Sammy

@nickguletskii Bucky (The New Boston) is a great teacher, he is funny (very important in any kind of teaching) and he uses a good structure for the tutorials...

15. When I use eclipse I get warnings so that is what I am used to doing. It may be unnecessary but it doesn't cause any problems :p

16. Offline

MadMonkeyCo

I don't get any errors or warnings. You shouldn't get any at all because BasicPlayerListener extends PlayerListener which extends Listener and the compiler can convert naturally without any problems.

17. I don't get them any more weird :p I'll remove the castings, thanks

18. Offline

MadMonkeyCo

It really didn't do any harm (since it casts it anyway but not in the same manner) but it's less code and more understandable for beginners if they haven't gone into casting yet.
    EDIT: Noticed you have a Double.parseBoolean(String) in the tutorial. Something that also requires fixing.

19. Yeah, I understand, thanks again for telling me :)

20. Offline

chrisryan

Looks great so far buddy, excited to see it finished

21. Offline

Plague

Personally I do not like this thread.
    All this enthusiasm and work should go to Wiki, not a forum post.

22. Offline

MadMonkeyCo

I agree, forum posts can get lost easily....

23. Ok....So make a wiki and then what, just post a link to it from here?

Also @Plague you don't like the content? Or you don't like the fact that it's not in a wiki?

24. Offline

mrrabbit

Thank you for this :)

25. Offline

Plague

I don't like that it's a forum post and not a wiki.

26. @Plague ok, I'd like to move this over to a wiki but could some please explain to me how to do it. Also how would I link other people to it, eg so people can see it on the forums or something?

27. Offline

Erwyn LENS

good work Adamki11s, community is lucky having people like you, spending so much time explaining others how to do.

Keep up the good work

ps: just one question, I didn(t know the onCommand, I usually use onPlayerCommandPreprocess, but onCommand seems to be far more better. Do you place the onCommand method in a listener or in the main file of the plugin?

28. Thanks :)

the onCommand method goes in your main file. It's better than using on_command_preprocess :D

29. Offline

ashour

maybe how to update the plugin? i know alot of peaple dont know...

30. HashMap tutorial coming next :D

Like an auto-updating feature?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.