Plugin Idea: Distance Based Voice Chat

Discussion in 'Bukkit Discussion' started by DarkOddity, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

DarkOddity

I play a game called Arma II and there is a mod for the game called ACRE (Advanced Combat Radio Environment) and it utilizes a plugin within teamspeak and a mod within the game to allow for location based voice chat to simulate a vicinity effect. Basically, we both get in the same channel on teamspeak and if we are standing next to each other in-game.. we can hear each other. However; we can still be in the same channel in teamspeak and be 1,000 blocks away from each other, and have no idea the other one is talking.

Basically; it uses the voice chat and plugin to emulate real-life speech behavior. Unfortunately I don't have the programming experience or knowledge to do something like this myself.

Here's how I'd like to see it done:

1. Clientside plugin for teamspeak
    2. Serverside bukkit mod that reports location of all players and interfaces with the teamspeak server thus adjusting the volumes for everyone based on their location.
    3. Avoid a clientside Minecraft mod if at all possible

Here is a link to Arma II's ACRE mod if any of you awesome programmers are interested in dissecting it. Additionally if you watch this youtube video and pay attention just after 2:20 you can see what I'm talking about (ignore the radio chatter). As he walks around the audio level of the other troops just talking changes based on the vicinity of others. If this could be duplicated in Minecraft a plugin like this could add a tremendous amount of immersion to the game when playing on mega servers with massive populations.

Any questions; let me know.

d3sl91 likes this.
  2. Offline

croxis

Might be better off using mumble for this, which has positional audio built in.

3. Offline

dark navi

TeamSpeak does have a diverse plugin API, I don't know about Mumble.

4. Offline

DarkOddity

I don't know anything about Mumble... is there already something made to perform positional audio between mumble and Minecraft? If so I'd be more than happy to look into that. Either way; positional audio = win and I'd love to see it get developed.

5. Offline

mushroomhostage

There is finally a solution to this old request: mod_MumbleLink.

According to the developer: "A client-side Mod so that Minecraft now natively supports Mumble's positional audio feature.
    This means: Directional and positionally attenuated VOIP in relation to the game world. "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.