Plugin Updater

Discussion in 'Resources' started by Vik1395, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Vik1395

Hello,
    I would like to present to you, a plugin updating class that checks for the latest version of the plugin and allows users to update using the /update command. The class uses BukGet to check for the latest version of the plugin and uses a Bukkit staff approved [Mod Edit: This is not a Bukkit approved method of downloading] method of downloading the update. A main advantage of this is class that it is very easy to integrate this class to your plugin.

The source code can be found here

How to use this in your plugin:
    Firstly, add the class file to your plugin.
    Then add the following command to your onEnable() method
    Code:java
    1. PluginUpdater update = new PluginUpdater();
    2. update.onStart(this);

Third, go to the PluginUpdater class and locate the slug variable. It will look something like this.
    Code:java
    1. public class PluginUpdater implements Runnable, Listener, CommandExecutor
    2. {
    3. private static String slug = "";

Add your plugin slug here. Your plugin slug can be found in the bukkit dev link of your plugin.

For example, if this is your link (http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/serverstaffchat/), then your slug will be "serverstaffchat".

Lastly, go to your plugin.yml file and add the following command:
    Code:
      update:
        description: Chat stream for mods.
        aliases: [ud]
        permission: pluginupdater.update
        usage: /update pluginupdater
    Permissions:
    pluginupdater.announce - Users with his permissions get a message when a new update is available, and other messages that are sent during the update process.
    pluginupdate.update - This permission gives access to the use of the /update command

Command:
    /update <plugin>

How does the class work:
    The class checks for the latest version of the plugin every hour, and if it finds a new version, sends a message to everyone with the announce permission. When /update is used, the class downloads the latest version of the plugin into the Updates directory inside the plugins directory. Once the download is over, the user needs to delete the old version of the plugin, move the new file into the plugins folder, and restart the server.

Licensed under CC Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International

This class file was inspired by, and based off V10lator's original AutoUpdate class.

2. Offline

lol768

It's worth noting that the guidelines on updaters state that you must use the Server Mods API for both checking and acquisition of file URLs for download. This class appears to use a third-party service and use of it would cause your file to be rejected on BukkitDev.

I'd suggest having a read of the API documentation.

3. Offline

Vik1395

I checked the API out, but what I do not understand is how would you be able to check the latest version of the plugin? It doesnt show it anywhere in the Json link.

4. Offline

Skyost

5. Offline

SteveMcGrath

I still dont get why auto-updating is a thing. Use a proper plugin manager and dont let the plugins themselves auto-update. It just leads to instability.

6. Offline

Vik1395

well this basically just downloads and puts the jar into an update folder inside the plugins folder. the user just has to move it and restart.

Skyost there isnt a way to check the updates unless you name the file in a specific way. A problem arises when the plugin author uploads it and names it incorrectly (like adding an extra space, or a typo).

And also, I said it was Bukkit Approved mainly because I saw that TnT said it was "the only way we allow it" in here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.