Prepping for 1.8

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by noseynose03, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

noseynose03

Hello fellow server owners. I made this tread for more of a conversation.

Everyone knows bout 1.8 coming with name changes :(

How are we going to prevent players from changing their names to admins, or getting out of bans?

How are we going to keep our server safe, and our plugins?

This is a discussion thread for all server owners to talk about how to prep for 1.8 and what to expect.

I just realized this is the wrong section... Staff move it to discussion.

2. Offline

KaitoX

UUID should still be accountbound not namebound. But until we know the finer details of how they are handling name changed on mojang's end we can't react before the initial act.

3. Offline

noseynose03

Oh. Well then Ok. It might seem like a noob question, but what does UUID mean?

4. Offline

KaitoX

Well I can't give a technical answer but the UUID is practically a serial number the server uses to identify a person. It's generated the first time they login.

5. Offline

LHammonds

The solution is to run a server version that is UUID-aware and make sure every plugin you run that references In-Game Names (IGN) is updated to reference UUID.

The most basic is your permissions plugin. PEX, for example, used to list users by their IGN. Current versions now convert the IGN to UUID whenever that player logs in and the permissions.yml (or database) will then update to reference the UUID from then on (and also sets a name option to let you see their last known IGN)

So basically, you just need to go through each plugin and determine "if" they need to be UUID-aware and if so, update it to a version that is UUID-aware. If they don't have a version, see if the author is actively making one that is UUID-aware. If not, consider switching to a plugin that is...or simply remove the plugin/feature. If you keep a plugin that will not be UUID-aware and relies on IGN, you better let your players know that if they change their IGN, that plugin will no longer see them as the same person when they do.

LHammonds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.