Rain extinguishes exposed torches

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by Montpelier, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Offline

Montpelier

I think it'd be useful to have this, as it would gradually clean up areas of the world that were hastily passed through using torches on the ground, but leave the populated areas (designed so torches are covered from above or using pumpkins/lightstone) alone. Maybe have snow having the same effect as an option.

I'm only guessing this is possible now with the new weather hooks. No idea if it's possible to check globally for uncovered torches without eating performance though. Programming is complicated as heck man! Serious business!

valdark likes this.
  2. Offline

Gimmic

I like this idea a lot. It's probably going to be hard to do though, my initial thoughts are that rain hitting things is probably processed all client-side. Supposedly the server does know the rain regions exactly though, you could probably have it check the top most block for torches and remove them.

3. Offline

aphexboy

I want that!!!!!! We want realism in my server and that would do the trick :)

4. Offline

Hretsam

When the weather event is on, you can go search for all torches, crosscheck them with the biome its in to see if there is snow or rain. And then remove them if it is.

I like the idea, but like gimmic says, its hard to do. And this one would require to be written very good to avoid crashes and intensive CPU/Memory usage.

5. Offline

valdark

what if you used a block radius from player rather than chunk search? It would have a similar effect and remove the need for an intensive search function.

6. Offline

Sabinno

God forbid this plugin be made inefficiently. It would load every chunk at once...
    That's just a horrible thought.
    Anyways, I too support this plugin.
    NOTE: I think the reason Notch made torches NOT extinguish is the fact that they'll be converted to lanterns eventually. Opinions?
    -Sabinno-

7. Offline

Hretsam

i tought notch wrote somewhere that he dropped the idea?

8. Offline

valdark

There is currently a plugin that extinguishes torches with time.. might ask him to add this to the mix.

9. Offline

mindless728

hmmmm, the best way i can think of is to have a list of all of the torches that are placed that are in biomes that allow rain/snow and have no blocks above them then when it rains you iterate through the list (or only part of it every server tick to prevent lag) check to see if the torch is still the upper most block then destroy it if it is then remove the torch from the list

10. Offline

Raphfrk

Btw, with multi-world, it could be raining for the client and not raining for the server.

11. Offline

Montpelier

Just out of interest, the thing that gave me this idea was the way SMP handles (or seems to handle) snow covering surfaces. As far as I can tell it will gradually cover all exposed snow biome surfaces globally by running occasional, randomised snow checks, rather than trying to fake it with intensive player radius checks and nothing beyond. Since snow is not a time-sensitive issue this works fine, and I think this idea would be possible using the same technique. Rather than the kind of plugin where you put a torch out in a rainy block and it immediately gets spat back at you, it'd be more of an attritional thing where no torch is guaranteed to go out rapidly, but over time they all will.

(Edit: To clarify, by over time I am talking up to several days realtime)

valdark likes this.
  12. Offline

aphexboy

Yeah he supposedly did, but how knows really whats going on at mojangs :p

Any courageous Developer is taking on the awesome Idea for rain/snow cleaning up the torches?

13. Offline

NeatMonster