Ram Usage, Plugins and ram.

Discussion in 'Bukkit Help' started by Myntekt, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Myntekt

He has a 100Mbit connection, but the download/upload speed reaches 30mbytes.

And also, I think every hosting company does that, you don't have a internet connection just for your self. It's shared.

2. Offline

zipfe

You have (or should have) exactly the connection the hosting company offered for any given package or account or server, whatever you like to call it.

If you bought a shared 100MBit connection, then that's exactly what you get. And if you get your own 100MBit, it's yours, and if it were capped at 30 they wouldn't fulfill the latter contract.

Realize that 100MBit isn't bad for a server, but it's far from what you can get out there. For example, the data center where our server is located, it's either 100MBit or 1GBit as the next biggest option. I'm of course talking about external connection, internal would be 1GBit anyway.

3. Offline

Double0negative

generally,

30bmit = 50 players
    100mbit = 300 (I have got 350 on 100bit tho)
    1gbit = thousands

4. Offline

Myntekt

Does any hosting company give 1GBit just for you when they say they have a 1GBit connection?

5. Offline

zipfe

Well of course. These big data centers, they don't run on dial-up. The run on several hundred GBits. And if they wouldn't be giving their customers what they paid for, they'd be out of business rather soon. Data centers don't "have a 1GBit connection".

6. Offline

Myntekt

And how does a minecraft server need so much?

How much bandwidth does a server use, during 1hour with 10 people online? (3worlds(normal/nether/end) - towny, mcmmo)?

7. Offline

zipfe

Your shared 30Mbit are perfectly fine for 10 players. Bandwith depends on how many players are online, and where they are and what they are doing.

If you have 50 players online all in the same area, you need little bandwidth. If you start a new map and have 50 players running around wildly exploring new chunks, your bandwidth (and CPU) will be busy.

8. Offline

Myntekt

It's a 100mbit connection, but the download speed reaches 30mbytes (Not mbit).

9. Offline

lokpique

Um... *grabs calculator*... you sure about that?

Myntekt likes this.
  10. Offline

Myntekt

Yes, I know it's stupid, but he bought a 100mbit full duplex connection, and the download speed reaches 30mbytes.

11. Offline

lokpique

Then he's gotten a lot more than the 100 mbits he ordered... by 2.4 times...

12. Offline

Myntekt

Are those 10mbyte enough for 1 server?

13. Offline

zipfe

Already answered, you even replied to it. And you really should not mix up Mbit and mbyte (whatever that is).

14. Offline

Myntekt

I know the diference... I am asking if it is enough. 10MBYTE (not mbit)

15. Offline

zipfe

Your 100 connection = 12.5 MB/s. The maxed out value of 10 MB you mentioned might be the result of the other 2 servers, with which it is shared, didn't need much or any bandwidth so they gave it yours.

16. Offline

Myntekt

Just answer.. Are 10MB/s enough for 60 people or not?

17. Offline

zipfe

If you had actually read all replies, you'd already know the answer. Of course it's enough.

18. Offline

Myntekt

Are there any specific CPU's for servers?

Is a i7-2600k, 4gb ram, 10mbyte(up/down) enough for it too?

19. Offline

issaaccbb

No i do not. Unless you expect all people to be within a certain distance from the spawn. I would look into getting more bandwith or limit it to say... 40-50?

20. Offline

Alslinet

This is strange, our server runs with 30-40 players at around 5-10 Megabit. 1/4 Processor is at 100% though :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.