[READ ME FIRST] Plugin Requests Guide

Discussion in 'Plugin Requests' started by mbaxter, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

So you want to request a plugin. Great! Before you spend a lot of time on your post, please read through this topic. Here are the themes we'll be covering: Originality, Possibility, Congeniality and Understandability, Things not to do, and lastly An Example Post

Originality
    Before writing your request, you should search to see if it's been done before! Search BukkitDev (click Filter) for your idea.

Here are some plugin ideas that we frequently see which already have functional plugins:

Automatic Ranking - Password-based: MasterPromote. Timed: AutoRank.
    Seperate Worlds - MultiVerse or MyWorlds.
    Block Protection -WorldGuard, EpicZones or Residence.
    Skills/RPG leveling - McMMO or Skillz.
    Classes/Clans - Factions or SimpleClans.
    Hunger Games - Too many to list. Do a search!
    Custom Commands - kTriggers or Commander
    Ban crafting of [Insert item here] - NoItem.
    Custom World Generation - TerrainControl.
    Custom Triggers and Scripts - VariableTriggers or Skript.

Possibility
    Make sure your request is even possible. Bukkit plugins can, for the most part, only modify what the server can do. Here is a list of things you cannot do with a plugin:

• Create a new block or item.
    • Show a picture or video to a player (except maps or displayed in blocks)
    • Create a new creature or monster or change the size of an existing one
    • Check if a player has a texture pack, mod, or hack installed.
    • Play external sound. Can only trigger noteblocks, records and effects.
    • Move a player between servers (in a way that doesn't involve complicated proxying)
    Congeniality and Understandability
    When requesting a plugin, make your post as friendly and easy to understand possible. Be patient while waiting for replies (don't bump constantly!). Use proper spelling and grammar to write out a fully detailed post describing your requirements. When someone replies, be thankful that they're helping. When the request is fulfilled, thank them again.

Things not to do
    Lastly, we have the things you should not do in your post.
    "PM me for details" - If you cannot describe your plugin requirements in public, people are not likely to care to reply. Keep your discussions to the thread and suddenly more people reply! Posts without a plugin description will be deleted without warning.
    Money offers/payment - As per the forum rules, monetary offers are not allowed. Posts offering payment will be deleted without warning.

PM me your Skype so we can talk - If you wish to fill plugin requests, you do so freely. This is not a site to solicit sales for your desire to make money filling plugin requests. If there are extra details you need to fill the request, ask for them on the post itself. Posts asking to take discussion to skype will be deleted without warning.

"Hiring developer for server" - Post those in your server's topic in the server forum. Maybe add a [NEED DEV] tag to that post. This forum is for plugin requests not dev team requests.
    Claim the plugin as your own - Do not take a fulfilled request and post it as your own plugin.
    Personal Requests - If your request is for you and you alone, and no one else can use it, you might want to learn Java!
    Fix or modify current plugins - Submit a ticket to that developer on BukkitDev!
    Huge, huge huge requests - Not actually a "not to do" but do not be surprised if an extremely complicated request is ignored. The simpler a plugin, the more likely it is to be made.
    Requesting a plugin that is better served by online-mode=true - If online mode already solves your problem, a plugin should not be requested.

An example post
    Below is an example post. Feel free to copy and paste to use as a start to yours!

Plugin category: EXAMPLE

Minecraft version: Exampleversion 19.2 (This has to be a single version number!)

Suggested name: ExamplePlugin

What I want: I'd like to see perhaps properly formatted posts, or at least an attempt beyond the average all caps scrawl that has come to dominate this forum. What people need to learn is that it's much easier to read a nicely formatted post, even if it's a bit longer than it needs to be, you can easily identify key points via proper formatting.

Also, skim-reading is much easier with paragraphs!

Ideas for commands: No commands needed for this plugin.

Ideas for permissions: player.canread. Set it to false if they can't read this post.

When I'd like it by: Yesterday.

Credits:
    Big thanks to: Archelaus Baummann codename_B kezz101 Deathmarine

This guide is a work in progress, as all things are. Currently it is mainly a combination of the previous five stickied posts.

I'm happy to take suggestions for improvements and changes. Note that not all ideas will make it into this

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
  2. Offline

kezz101

Great post! Custom World Generation is in italics though :)

3. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

Fixed, thanks. Some of xenforo's processing of bbcode is frustrating.

4. Offline

kezz101

That's why I stick with the BBCode editor... I do think we should get this addon though...

Xp10d3, C.L., 0566 and 2 others like this.
  5. Offline

Omnitv

Question what happed to the other stickies? were they deleted/hidden?

6. Offline

np98765

I think they were un-sticked. I saw kezz101 's FRQ down in the list, still locked, but unstickied. Basically, they all got smooshed together into this one, and the originals were let loose. :p

7. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

The content has been pretty much all merged into this post.

Omnitv likes this.
  8. Offline

Omnitv

Yeah, i realize that most were un-stuck. I use them as reference, good thing i kept them in my signature. now i need to favorite the others on maxthon. But the good thing is people only need to look at one stickie not multiple ones so that we can only use one as reference.

Oh whoops i was a two mins too late. :3

9. Offline

izak12345678910

Hey i was thinking, maybe a way to format your post for when people ask for developers for there servers? Maybe if you want i can make it? Instead of Hi i want a dev for so and so server.( I know i did this in the past a post like that but now everyone is requesting for a dev and i think a format would make it easier)

10. Offline

kezz101

Well I think that Developers wouldn't want to work for people who can't format a post properly... I think of it as them writing us a Job Application...

11. Offline

Deathmarine

Could we get a tag [Complete], [Done], or something for threads completed. Sorting out all the ones that have been wrote already and linking the ones for those with the injured google finger, is a bit tedious.

Edit:
    SUCCESS [FILLED]!!!

Xp10d3, lol768 and Butkicker12 like this.
  12. Offline

Arubian

This can be done!

13. Offline

cooldudef40

This can be done without any spout or client-mods or stuff! See this for a list of visual & audio effectspage: Webpage

14. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

I meant it to mean external sounds. Updating :)

15. Offline

cooldudef40

cool :)

16. Offline

hawkfalcon

Much cleaner, hopefully people will actually read it now.

17. Offline

Deathmarine

Not without modifying craftbukkit or a client mod.

18. Offline

evilmidget38

False. If you're interested, join my test server, kaysee.dyndns-server.com.

19. Offline

CatMan8

hey, Nice rules set, One question is why are we not allowed to pay for a plugin?
    Say I am willing to pay a developer to make a plugin for me. May I ask why that is not allowed?

20. Offline

TnT

This has been asked and answered a great many times, but it boils down to giving a terrible experience for those who pay, and for those who accept payment.

21. Offline

evilmidget38

More like a terrible experience for those who don't pay, and those who expect payment.

MultiGamerClub likes this.
  22. Offline

afistofirony

You just made my day sir.

Xgames160 likes this.
  23. Offline

Sleaker

mbaxter - kind of odd that Classes are lumped with Clans. SimpleClans/Factions are clan plugins, and generally have nothing to do with RPG advancement, their main usage is for getting groups of players together. heroes is a Class, Skill & RPG leveling plugin, it has absolutely no large-scale community grouping like the other 2 plugins. To prevent some confusion on that I'd suggest moving Heroes up with mcMMO, and removing 'Classes' from the description for Factions/SimpleClans.

24. Offline

np98765

Can you add the whole partial-online-offline thing? Or just mention no support of offline servers.

Omnitv likes this.
  25. Offline

Deathmarine

Hmmm......

Things not to do
    Lastly, we have the things you should not do in your post.
    "Request a hack" - If you request a plugin that will give strictly just you operator or an advantage!
    "Ridiculous Personal Requests" - If your request is for you and you alone, and no one else can use it, you might want to learn java!
    "Multi-hook" - If your request would require WorldEdit, WorldGuard, HoneyPot, Ultrabans, Jail, MyHome, Vault, NoCheatPlus and Factions integrated support then you might want to reconsider posting!
    "Fix or Modify Current Plugins" - Ticket that developer on BukkitDev!

26. Offline

StickBoXD

Ok im starting on the plugin ;P

27. Offline

Omnitv

mbaxter
    Meow. :3

28. Offline

mbaxter ʇıʞʞnq ɐ sɐɥ ı

Added two of those. I feel the multi plugin hook isn't necessarily invalid except in rare circumstances and hacking is just obvious.

np98765 and Omnitv like this.
  29. Offline

np98765

Why isn't CommandHelper in the Custom Commands section? It should be:

Custom Commands - kTriggers, Commander, or CommandHelper

:3

Can you add something about future updates, mbaxter?

Things not to do
    Request before updates - We do not own time machines, and cannot make plugins for future updates! Don't request plugins for updates that haven't even happened!

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
    C.L. and TheAnswerIsMinecraft like this.
  30. Offline

Omnitv

hmm....like requests for 1.3.x

Xp10d3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.