[REQ] Bookshelf full of books

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by jamdis, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Offline

jamdis

I've been messing around with the Bookworm plugin. It really makes books worth something. Wouldn't it be neat if we could actually store books in bookshelves?

My idea (not sure if it is possible):

Each bookshelf is a chest. When you right-click on a shelf you get the same chest-display as though you had clicked on a chest. This chest-shelf is stocked upon creation with some number of books. You can, of course, take and leave books and other items.

That is all. Thoughts?

Okay, looked around a little more and found this. Does most of what I want, but new bookcases won't automatically have books in them. Also no longer being developed and source nowhere to be found.
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/me...-store-selected-items-in-bookcases-935.22428/

Would love if someone java-savvy bring this idea back to life.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2016
  2. Offline

acuddlyheadcrab

I was thinking of this too. I'll see if i can work on it and respond :)

3. Offline

jamdis

Cool!

4. Offline

King Rat

I like this idea a lot actually, but what is the purpose of books, other than storing them?

5. Offline

jamdis

6. Offline

King Rat

Well, I suppose BookWorm would do most the work, it would just be storing the shelf's inventory. If I get bored, I could probably do the whole book-chest thing, but no promises ^_^

7. Offline

jamdis

Hey no problem, I'm a beggar not a chooser! If you do get around to it though I'll sing your praises to the high seas or something.

8. Offline

kaasinees

use the search function prior to posting.

9. Offline

King Rat

He explained much better than you, and isn't wearing that hat.

10. Offline

jamdis

Fair enough.

Ha! :p

11. Offline

kaasinees

If you read the thread there already was a mod for this, so obviously i explained it good enough. He could as well used the existing thread to explain it better if he wished.
    Also adhomen, how old are you?

12. Offline

jcgurango

Wow, nice reading comprehension there.

There's a mod that does most of the work, in this case it's making it so that books can actually have content on them (i.e. Bookworm). What he wants is a way to store actual books inside of bookshelves in a chest-like fashion.

13. Offline

kaasinees

Logical fallacy on your part. Read the description about the mod... it stores books and paper and some other items (configurable).

14. Offline

King Rat

Bah, silly hat man! That hasn't been updated for months.

15. Offline

kaasinees

Again if you have read my thread (which you did not obviously) you would know i already know that. This thread is still pointless.

16. Offline

King Rat

Of course I haven't read your thread; you're annoying. This was a valid request, now stop moaning.

17. Offline

jcgurango

This thread is not pointless. The only other option is something that hasn't been updated to the current CraftBukkit, so plugin developers could see this, and one of them might take on the project that the original poster asked for.

That's a logical fallacy on your part. You were looking at the wrong plugin, which was not the plugin which I explicitly pointed out (Bookworm.) If you took the time to actually read the thread, which you've been telling all of us to do this whole time, you would read this:
    This is a plugin that lets you read and write books.

Very first line in the plugin's introduction.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2016
  18. Offline

kaasinees

OP:
    This is exactly the same as my requested mod, this has nothing to do with bookworm, he merely mentioned it for compatibility.
    Also the link in the second post of the OP was the mod that was made by my request thread. I win, you lose, live with it.

19. Offline

jcgurango

lol edited 3 times. Did you even read my other post? Again. Nice reading comprehension. But yeah, I understand why you wouldn't want to "lose." People's opinions on the internet mean so much.

20. Offline

kaasinees

I understand your thinking, you don't understand mine. All he had to do is ask for updating it and adding a new feature, there was no point in making this thread he could as well use mine or the plugin's thread.

21. Offline

jcgurango

He didn't know about it until you posted it here, after he made the thread.

22. Offline

kaasinees

23. Offline

jcgurango

Well, then again, like I said earlier. That's the only other option. A plugin that the author's no longer updating. His signature says:
    Sorry if my plugins become inactive, I don't work on my plugins any more

So of course, the only thing you can do, since you obviously can't ask the author of the plugin to update it, is to post a request here hoping that somebody will answer that request.

24. Offline

kaasinees

and the requests already Exists. >>__>>

25. Offline

jamdis

Okay kids, chill.

Did I search the forum before I posted? Yes.
    Could I have spent more time searching and carefully reading the posts I came across? Also yes.

I don't know if that makes this a pointless thread, but I do know that bickering instead of discussing the (proposed) plugin definitely makes it pointless.

26. Offline

acuddlyheadcrab

Okay um, well anyways.

I'm not sure where to start... The bookcase storage one is great, but it's a bit... objective. The code is hard to understand because it wasnt intended to have a source anyway :p (probably).

So i think i'll try to make one that just turns bookshelves into inventory blocks, and the first release will have them like full of books. Maybe i'll write a way to randomize the bookshelf inventory later haha.

EDIT: and then maybe later, later, i'll support it in spout :D
    EDIT2: ...Although i still have no idea how to make a block a container block... 0_0 javadocs time?

EDIT3: Fukkit. Try again with sleep.

27. Offline

jamdis

Wow, thanks for taking a crack at this. I look forward to seeing what you come up with after a little rest!

28. Offline

acuddlyheadcrab

Well Ive been looking at plugins that open inventories on a non chest block... so far after looking at essentials, that bookcasestorage plugin, and some other plugins, I haven't really found anything in common. So I might just resort to trying to modify the bookcaseStorage one...

This would be relatively easy with spout so maybe ill try that too.

More in detail:
    I haven't been able to find out how BookcaseStorage makes bookcases well... store things.
    So I've been looking in the javadocs

I tried an open inventory like event, I can't find that
    I tried looking for a setContainerblock like method, but I couldnt find one
    Ideas?...

29. Offline

jamdis

completely naive idea: take a look at the plugins that let you carry a virtual chest
    with you always and see how those work?

30. Offline

acuddlyheadcrab