[REQ/DEV]Minecars- racing

Discussion in 'Plugin Development' started by lemonzap, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

lemonzap

basically I had an idea for a plugin where you could control minecarts with "wasd". racing would be possible but it would start off as transportation. racing could come in an update. we would start by allowing minecarts to be placed on land not just tracks, then add in WASD controls. one way to do it would be to place invisible tracks under the minecart as it runs but that could be too laggy. I want this plugin to be made because it sounds fun but I also want to make it. I'm looking for someone willing to help out as a partner, preferably someone who has experience with spout because I think we will need it for this plugin. pm me if your interested, thanks.

2. Offline

Vynlar

As you said, spout would be necessary. This is more of a request, and there is a sub-forum for plugin requests. Please post there next time.

3. Offline

lemonzap

should i copy it over then? I didnt notice the sub forum.

4. Offline

bergerkiller

5. Offline

EdTheLoon

I may never have seen this had you not tagged me.

@lemonzap I actually started working on this sometime on Friday night and I was going to call it MineCar! I've got a GitHub set up for it but I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to pull this off. I know I'm using the Spout API for handling the control of the minecart but that's all it's needed for (so far). I didn't think of using your method to place invisible tracks under the cart but I do not think that would be practical and I think doing it in such a way would cause a lot of strife. Instead I was going to directly change the speed and direction of the minecart with my own code. If you want to help out you certainly can.

6. Offline

bergerkiller

That is exactly why I tagged you, would be a bad thing if multiple people start working on the same thing at the same time. :)

7. Offline

lemonzap

good name, it was what I was thinking of too. I recently realized you can already control boats on land but they just move EXTREMELY slowly. maybe if you edited the land movement speed of boats it would work? It wouldnt even need spout for controls(it might need it for something else instead).

I would definitely like to help out, where are you at in the process right now? are you still trying to figure out how the plugin will work or have you already gone on to coding?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  8. Offline

EdTheLoon

I'm still brain storming a lot of it. I've set up some classes in preparation. Are you on github?

9. Offline

lemonzap

ya I am, what do you think of the idea of possibly using boats instead, just increasing their land speed? I'm just throwing ideas out there.

10. Offline

EdTheLoon

If it becomes seemingly impossible then boats could be a fall-back

11. Offline

lemonzap

so when I tried to do something with this before i tried to make pressing a key do something simple like display a message to start out. I didn't end up getting that working because I was having trouble using the spout api for the keyboard. that might be a good place to start, make sure the plugin is receiving the keypress event.

12. Offline

EdTheLoon

Yeah I was going to do all that first. No point coding heaps of stuff to find out the basics doesn't work. What's your github username?

13. Offline

lemonzap

same, lemonzap. It's not very interesting right now. I'm kinda new to java, so I don't have anything on there personally right now. I do have website too, if you dont have one we could use mine for the plugins website if it ends up going well. I've updated my reference jars for the test and im gonna try making it again from scratch and see if I can get it to display a simple message. If you want me to I can upload, and update it every time i compile?

btw don't get thrown off by the fact that im kinda new to java.

would you like to create the repository on github? or should I?

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

14. Offline

EdTheLoon

I've already created one. It's private at the moment because I thought that nobody else had had this idea and wanted to be greedy ;) haha. I'll add you as a collaborator

Edit: By the way I've still to push my latest changes but for now I'm off to play The Settlers 1 or 2

15. Offline

lemonzap

I just added in an enable and disable message, thought it wouldn't hurt anything to put it in right now

so I was thinking how it could work is it would make whatever minecart your sitting in a minecar when you press "m". when you get out of your minecart it automatically sets it back to normal. so you never have minecars without a driver. controls could either be based on whatever the users movement controls are, or configurable in a file. also have you been able to test the current version yet?

16. Offline

EdTheLoon

I'm thinking it would be a lot easier to just spawn our own MineCar

17. Offline

lemonzap

what would be easier if you don't mind explaining?

18. Offline

EdTheLoon

Type /minecar spawn (for example) and our own custom class version of the minecart spawns

19. Offline

lemonzap

well I understand that, but what's easier about that? I feel like cars could be easily forgotten or lost and it would take up memory. Also wouldn't you have to save and reload the cars if they were specially spawned?

20. Offline

EdTheLoon

We don't want every cart to be a MineCar and it wouldn't be hard to implement just having one car per player and if they lose their current one upon spawning we code it to remove the MineCar they previously had and spawn another one. All this can be easily tracked in a HashMap<Player,Entity> and then using a flatfile for cart tracking.

21. Offline

lemonzap

That makes sense, do you have a server for testing? If not we can use mine when the time comes. Also what else needs to be done before we really get into coding. maybe we should write some pseudo code?

22. Offline

Jshreder

This sounds amazing. I would love it if you guys could make it work without spout, but either way, I'll be following this closely.

23. Offline

EdTheLoon

You can't capture key presses without Spout

I'm going to quickly write my plans in a README and push it to github. I run a test server on my development computer

24. Offline

lemonzap

sounds great, I like the readme. Also would you rather talk via github messaging?

25. Offline

EdTheLoon

Yeah it's a lot easier as Bukkit seems to be loading quite slowly recently and showing 404 pages and such. I've uploaded a .jar for testing the key bindings.

Just an update on this

Implemented at the moment:
    • Spawning a MineCar when a key is pressed
    • Basic MineCar movement
    • Deletion of previous MineCar (player must be in same world as previous MineCar)

26. Offline

lemonzap

sounds great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.