[REQ]Enchating Decoded!

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by zoram, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Offline

zoram

Plugin category: Mechanics

Suggested name: Enchanting Decoded, or Enchantment Language or something like that.

A bit about me: I am a level headed minecraft player. I play on a server called Godcraft and spend %90 of minecraft there. I like the creative minds in the video game world and hope that my ideas will improve games for the good of the group. Go Altruism, although I don't really like the whole sacrifice myself part of altruism if I can avoid it.

What I want: I am not really saying I want this for the server I play on, as I am not a mod, nor am I an admin or the owner, but I want this for servers in general. I am just seeing if this is possible, and would want a dev to see if they want to take on the task. So this is the task: make a plugin that lets you easily see what enchantments are going on an item, or have superior control over what enchatments go on the item.

The one mod that is already like this is "easy enchant" Found here: http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/easyenchant/

It would be great to have something like this, but it is chat based, and I thought it would be nice to have it on the actual UI of an enchating table, similar to the "Better Enchating" Mod that is for single player:

However I am not sure that it is possible to do that in SMP.

So I will get to the point. What I really would want, is for a mod that simply displays exactly what enchantments are in the enchantment that you choose. If that made any sense yay, if not, read on.

I did some tests to see if a certain number of levels would always be the same enchantment(s), and found that not to be the case. So lets say I have 2 options to enchant a diamond sword with a level 47 enchantment. One will give the sword a level 4 sharpness, and a level 3 looting enchantment, and this is the one that I was looking for. However the other one is also level 47, but has sharpness 4 and fire aspect 2. But I don't want that, I want the looting since I already have a sharpness and fire sword for PvPing. I want the looting enchantment to get more drops. But even puting the language from the galatic alphabet into english, the words are still random and mean nothing. With this mod, however, it decodes what is actually behind the enchantments. So instead of saying "Orange Puppy of Ear Hair" for one, and "yellow fin Tuna carpet spoon" (or whatever junk comes up), it will instead say exactly what the enchantments are, which are "Sharpness IV, Looting III" and "Sharpness IV, Fire Aspect II".

To give a little background, the example levels and enchantments are real. I also found that at level 45 I got a sharpness 4 and looting 3, so there is some randomness even to the levels. I have no idea how easy it would be to do, but it sounds simple enough from a non-coder perspective, but I can also see that it might be impossible in which case easy enchanting may be the only answer.

Ideas for commands: It may be nice to just have the ability to turn off permissions to certain players or player groups. Good incase there is a bug to turn it off for non-ops for further testing, or good for RPG servers so that they can allow certain classes only to "understand" what the enchantments do.

Ideas for permissions: Just as I said before, simply allow for the server operator(s) to to turn it on or off for certain players or player groups.

Willing to pay up to: $0 but I will pitch this to my server and see if he would want this(if it is even possible). No promises on money at all if anyone decides to go for it, especially since the server I play on, might not use it.

When I'd like it by: Since I am not offering money initially, this is just a free idea to anyone interested.

Similar plugin requests: None that I found in my forum or bukkitdev searches.

2. Offline

Delocaz

Probably not possible. I can only think of something like pick an enchantment -> chat message saying "do you want the <x> enchantment you picked?" and if you left click you will say yes and get your enchantment and if you right click you say no and you do not get enchantment

3. Offline

zoram

I thought it might be tough, neigh impossible to alter the UI, but I was hoping it might be doable since it isn't creating a whole new UI, just decoding random words.

4. Offline

Roadkill909

Altering the in-game UI on the enchantment table isn't possible. However figuring out what the enchantment table is about to give you is possible via some of the very new additions to the bukkit API. There's an event that developers can listen for that fires right as the enchantment table picks the enchantment. This is why this hasn't been done before as this feature was added to bukkit this week.

Also this isn't exactly what you asked for, but would this work? -shameless self advertisement- zoram