[REQ] Fallout 3's Item Repair System Plugin.

Discussion in 'Archived: Plugin Requests' started by TechnoLlama, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Offline

TechnoLlama

First of all, this is my first time posting a request, and although I've read the stickies, please let me know if I'm posting out of the correct format.

Anyway, the players on my server have been frustrated with how many chests we have full of 50%-95% broken armor. It seems wasteful to throw it away, but nobody wants to actually take it on a mining run, since we play on hard. A bunch of us talked, and we were thinking that it would be fantastic to have a plugin that works like the item repair system in Fallout 3. For anyone not familiar with this system, the idea is that if you have two of the same item with less than perfect durability, you can use both to create one with better durability. If you have many of the same, it eventually leads to one or more perfect items. If I remember correctly, the system has more details pertaining to it than that, but I'd really like a plugin for Minecraft like that to be very simple. The system would simply add the durability of both items and give you the result (either a better item, a perfect item, or a perfect item and a better item). As I understand it, new recipes can be created with a plugin, so it would be ideal to be able to place as many of the same item as you can on the palette and be given the result. If I'm mistaken about how it would be possible to achieve this, then perhaps there might be another way, but from what I've seen, this should definitely be possible.

I'd love to be able to create this plugin myself, but I have absolutely no experience in doing these things, and I wouldn't want the players on my server to be using a plugin that doesn't work perfectly.

2. Offline

FuturaEX

why don't make it so you repair it with less iron bars than it would require to make a new one, so you don't have the need to make more than one set. ?

3. Offline

TechnoLlama

A plugin like that exists. The reason behind this plugin would be to reserve actual materials for new items. This would keep used armor/tools/weapons separate, with the ability to consolidate them into useful items. After, or even during, a group trip, it would be extremely convenient to be able to group multiple nearly broken items into one better item. This simplifies the process more than needing to repair each item individually with yet another material.

If anyone could do this, it would be greatly appreciated.

4. Offline

TopGear93

so for example your using a wooden axe and the damage reaches a certain level the plugin would grab another weapon of the same type and repair the first one? ive played Fallout 3 & New Vegas with a combined 1800 - 2000 hours of game time so i know what your talking about.

But true to Fallout 3 / NV gameplay your required to hit (Y) * if on xbox 360 * to repair and combine two of the same weapons / suit / etc.

this plugin CAN be done but in a different manor. if you want i could create this. im not sure when i can roll out a plugin. maybe tonight /maybe tomorrow after the FFA convention i need to be at.

5. Offline

TechnoLlama

Yeah, exactly. I suppose technically you wouldn't need to use recipes to do this, but it seems that it would be the ideal method if possible. You could still fuse up to 4 items in the player's palette, and 9 at the crafting table. Obviously I don't mean to imply that the function would work exactly as it does in Fallout 3, but rather the concept.

That would be great if you could make it. I'm confused by what you mean, though; Which aspect of the plugin would need to be changed?

6. Offline

jcgurango

Erm. I could do this, since it seems TopGear is a little busy. Still, it doesn't seem like it would be an awfully huge project. An hour, maybe even 30 minutes of work, so if TopGear gives you his version first, I wont bother with mine. I'll get back to you when I finish the plugin.

7. Offline

TopGear93

true, im am a bit busy so if you want to create this then have at it :D

8. Offline

TechnoLlama

Awesome, thanks to both of you.

9. Offline

jcgurango

Awesome.

Finished! You can download it right now, if you want. I'm gonna release it as a run-of-the-mill plugin.

To use it:
    1.) Hold the item you want to merge in your hand.
    2.) say "/mi"
    3.) Choose a different item of the same type, and hold it in your hand.
    4.) Right or Left click anywhere.
    5.) The items have been merged!

Edit: Left out the part where if you accidentally chose the wrong item, saying /mi again will cancel it.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2016
  10. Offline

TechnoLlama

Well done. I appreciate it, man.

Notch totally just stole this idea, lol.

EDIT by Moderator: merged posts, please use the edit button instead of double posting.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2016